PDA

View Full Version : Is this the game for me?

TheHajj
02-02-2007, 04:19 PM
Hello all, I've not played any simulators in years, but would really like to get back into a good one. I'd really like a sim that has good online game play support (some thing like Battlefield 2 has). I've read the reviews on the game, and they sound great...but how's the online game play?

Can you just logon to a server and find games to join pretty much all the time? Or do you really need to find a squadron to join and then only play when they do as a group? Does the online game keep track of your stats, give out medals/awards and stuff?

If this turns out to be the game I want to get in to, what should I pick up to get started? Which version of it and what joysticks and controllers does it support well?

I'll be starting out from scratch in the sim gaming again, so I'd like to do it right the first time.

Thanks for any help or suggestions,

Keith

TheHajj
02-02-2007, 04:19 PM
Hello all, I've not played any simulators in years, but would really like to get back into a good one. I'd really like a sim that has good online game play support (some thing like Battlefield 2 has). I've read the reviews on the game, and they sound great...but how's the online game play?

Can you just logon to a server and find games to join pretty much all the time? Or do you really need to find a squadron to join and then only play when they do as a group? Does the online game keep track of your stats, give out medals/awards and stuff?

If this turns out to be the game I want to get in to, what should I pick up to get started? Which version of it and what joysticks and controllers does it support well?

I'll be starting out from scratch in the sim gaming again, so I'd like to do it right the first time.

Thanks for any help or suggestions,

Keith

Bandit.426Cdn
02-02-2007, 04:40 PM
Well, umm.. where to begin..

Spend a few hours and browse this and the other subforums for IL2FB/1946 related topics, to try to get a feel of what it is all about.

Online play is pretty decent.

There are private run servers on Hyperlobby catering to the "wonder woman view" noob, right up to the hard core, "almost as real as taking a 50 cal slug in the head" sim vet.. about 300 or so persons on hyperlobby at any one time. More on weekends/evenings. UBI's game lobby for IL2FB/1946 cough*sucks*cough in comparison, don't go there.

As far as compatability with controllers, all flight related controllers are generally supportable/configurable. Indeed, getting this sim puts you on a slippery slope to the poor house if you want to set up fully for the sim experience.

Not going to find too many detracters of the sim on this forum, mind you.. but keep in mind, it's on a twilight run of sorts in terms of development - bigger and better is coming down the pipe from Maddox and co., but this sim still has plenty of life in the old girl yet - just keep in mind - it's fully 5 years old now, so certain minor aspects are dated or limited, compared to what present computing power can now support.

Good luck.

Tully__
02-02-2007, 04:47 PM
Which version is easy: IL2 Sturmovik 1946 (DVD). It contains the entire game series.
Be aware though that development of this game engine is in its last stages and that late this year or early next year there will be a new sim from the same developer that uses and entirely new game engine. That sim will not be backward compatible with any part of this game series.

For controllers, spend at least US$40, go for Saitek Cyborg Evo / AV8R / X52, CH Products gear (any), Thrustmaster Fox II Pro / Topgun Afterburner. I'd recommend the Saitek gear if budget is a concern, the CH gear if you have no concern about price. In the long term, CH will probably work out cheaper if you plan to remain in simming for a long period as it lasts very well for most people.

Servers for this game are pretty much all run by the community, not the publisher so your experience will vary depending on server. There are enough full time servers to satisfy most people and most of them have some sort of statistics monitoring set up on their own web page, but there is no universal stats page. Unlike the commercial MMOG's, the universe is not persistent, in most cases you will be flying a series of discrete scenarios designed for use on the server you're currently flying.

There are two principal modes of online play, "Dogfight" and "Cooperative".

Dogfight (DF) is nominally perpetual, however as mentioned above most of the full time servers load a new scenario periodically to give some more diversity and to provide a more realistic mission based feel. Most online flying is in this mode. In DF you can join a running server anytime so you'll need to arrange with other player in the game or join with friend if you want to fly as an organised fighting unit. Again your experience in this regard will vary from server to server. Should you get killed you can immediately select a new aicraft (with limits on some server that will force a timeout after several deaths to give others the oppurtunity to join the action). Connections are limited by the game to 128 or by the server host to rather a lot less. Most servers find that about 50 is the practical limit for good game play and set their connection limit accordingly.
There are two popular third party server management programs in use that allow the operators of this type of server to provide some more realistic goals monitoring and target assignment, but it still relies on the players to organise group efforts rather than just being a random bunch of independant flyers.

Cooperative mode more closely mimics real life missions in that the server sets up in one of the game lobbies and waits for enough players to make up a reasonable mission crew, then launches all players at once. In this mode you'll get a briefing map with waypoints and assigned targets and once everyone has read the briefing you'll all start the mission together. Once you die you can't respawn, though you can stay and watch the action (which can be very entertaining if External Views are permmitted by the server and very boring if not) or return to the lobby to wait for the next cooperative mission to launch. This mode is more time consuming but to some extent is less prone to the impatient "lone wolf" type of flying.

To connect online the best options for this game are two third party game lobbies, HyperLobby (http://hyperfighter.sk/) or AllSeeingEye. Ubisoft run a game lobby too but it doesn't seem to support later versions of the game series very well. The Forgotten Battles room at hyperlobby (where all the 1946 version servers are found) has hundreds of flyers most of the time an even at its quietest times (middle of the euro/US night midweek) usually has over 100 pilots online. At busy times the numbers exceed 1000 on a reasonably regular basis. This does not include numbers at AllSeeingEye or the few that still persist at Ubi's lobby.

TheHajj
02-02-2007, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the info guys. It looks like the online play is a lot like Day of Defeat (Halflife mod) was with "mission" maps and stuff.

I don't mind that the game might be coming to an end towards the end of the year...still lots of game time left. One thing I've not been able to tell for sure yet, has '46 been released in the US yet?

Xiolablu3
02-02-2007, 05:03 PM
You should definitely get this game mate. Theres always some games populated online, with 300-1000 people online at any one time.

I love online play, some great servers out there.

VMF-214_HaVoK
02-02-2007, 05:11 PM
I think IL2 has some of the best online play over any game I have played. Its kept me interested for over 5 years. This sim is the best supported game I have ever played. Far beyond any EA title that is for sure.

CAF96th_Sillyak
02-02-2007, 05:24 PM
download the hyperlobby client and your set, and excellent game with many online servers running all the time. Also a very helpful community to help you with any problems you may have.

Zeus-cat
02-02-2007, 05:25 PM
The 1946 DVD version of the game is generally not available in stores and may not be for an unknown period of time. It is available from gogamer.com (where I got mine) and some European websites.

Xiolablu3
02-02-2007, 05:26 PM
I think some in the US were saying its at Walmart?

FritzGryphon
02-02-2007, 05:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think some in the US were saying its at Walmart? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Definitely in Canadian Walmarts. Haven't heard of any in US, though.

TheHajj
02-02-2007, 05:34 PM
The amount of replies and info in such a short time has made me excited about his game. Thanks guys.

Assuming I can't find '46 in my area (prefer to buy locally) what is the next "version" I should look for?

CAF96th_Sillyak
02-02-2007, 05:37 PM
il-2 gold pack plus pacfic fighters

Tully__
02-02-2007, 07:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheHajj:
The amount of replies and info in such a short time has made me excited about his game. Thanks guys.

Assuming I can't find '46 in my area (prefer to buy locally) what is the next "version" I should look for? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If you want to find lots of online servers there is no "next" version. You can do it but it will cost up to 400% more and you'll likely not find all the components you need anyway. Bearing in mind that there is a Russian version and a "Rest of the world" version for all stages of the
game, the history runs something like this for online play:

IL2 Forgotten Battles (base game) v1.0
Aces Expansion Pack (add-on) v2.0
IL2 Forgotten Battles Gold Pack (Both of the above combined) v2.0
Pacific Fighters (add-on to Gold Pack, or the first two only when they're combind, can be installed standalone but very few play it online in that form) v3.0 standalone or v3.0m as add-on
IL2 Complete Edition (not complete any longer, though it was at the time, contains all of the above) v4.04m
Pe-2 Add-on (internet order download only outside Russia, add-on to v4.04m) v4.05m
Manchuria add-on (internet order download only and I've not even seen a reference to this one being available at all outside Russia, add-on) v4.06m
IL2 Sturmovik 1946 (internet download add-on to 4.06m OR all in one contains the entire game history DVD) v4.07m

There's also a public beta patch 4.071m that most online servers are using, meaning you have to find it and use it to fly online.

While I understand your desire to support your local businesses, the last component that I'm SURE was available in the US is Pacific Fighters so to get any of it from your local supplier you'd have to find at least:
IL2 Forgotten Battles Gold Pack (out of print)
Pacific Fighters (if not out of print, at least very scarce)

then buy on the internet and download:
Pe-2 add-on (includes problematic copy protection)
Manchuria add-on (if it's even available outside Russia)
IL2 1946 add-on (again not sure it's available outside Russia)

As distasteful as it may seem, IL2 Sturmovik 1946 from GoGamer is a far more practicle option. Apart from one (soon to be two?) patch it's the whole shebang on one disk and is definitely in stock or short lead time.

Bearcat99
02-02-2007, 08:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheHajj:
Assuming I can't find '46 in my area (prefer to buy locally) what is the next "version" I should look for? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Welcome aboard.
Dont look for any other versions. If you cant find 46 right off then be patient and wait until you do. Go Gamer is out of stock on 46. You can try to get it at IL2 46 @ NWS (http://yhst-12000246778232.stores.yahoo.net/ilst19.html).

The reason why I say dont bother with any other version is that 46 will give you the entire series from Forgotten Battles on. What many of us paid full price for in each individual add on folks who get 46 now and are new to the series get the whole shebang. No patches no fuss. No confusion.

Hit the Sturmovik Essentials thread in my sig for some good info.

Pirschjaeger
02-03-2007, 07:00 AM
"Is this game for me?"

No, it's for me.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

......but I'm willing to share. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Welcome to the family http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Have you had your shots? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

AWL_Spinner
02-03-2007, 08:40 AM
Yeah, don't bother trying to get a previous incarnation of the game - hold out for '46. Rumour has it it may be out in US stores later in the year, but I'd just keep badgering GoGamer (if NWS can't deliver the goods, which they may be able to) until they get more stock. I believe they're in California. You could also maybe try getting someone like amazon.co.uk to deliver to you in the States (I know amazon.com will ship to Britain).

If you like a good online community, this is it. Hyperlobby is full of servers every night of the week. There are lots of flyers from the US and loads of "local" squads for you, if you're into that sort of thing.

TheHajj
02-03-2007, 12:04 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. Since there is no real date that it will be out here in the US, I went ahead and ordered 1946 from NWS... I want to start playing already!

Jaws2002
02-03-2007, 12:36 PM
That's my men. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Now go have some quality time with your wife /girlfriend /kids/friends before you get the game. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

CAF96th_Sillyak
02-03-2007, 12:36 PM
I got myn from NWS, your going to love this sim.

WarWolfe_1
02-03-2007, 12:44 PM
GoGamer.com is another place you can pick it up at.

Beware this is a very addictive sim. More so if you get in to Mission building, skinning (My Favorite thing about this sim), or online play.

Bearcat99
02-03-2007, 06:44 PM
Last I checked GG was OOS...

scottmal1
02-04-2007, 07:49 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys. Since there is no real date that it will be out here in the US, I went ahead and ordered 1946 from NWS... I want to start playing already! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is where your life changes, the sim and forum are very addictive! There are some really helpful people on this forum, if you experience any problems dont be afraid to ask, no matter how trivial you might think it is, they have helped me out a fair bit in the past.

Pirschjaeger
02-04-2007, 08:24 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

He's right. You might see the word "noob" thrown around here often but don't worry about it. I've been a noob for almost 5 years and still proud of it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

I flew for almost a year before I realized that the gunsights weren't just for looking pretty. (shift F1). Upon realizing this crucial piece of information, my aim drastically improved. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I actually gave up many attempts to fly from carriers online. My wheels seemed to be always stuck. (assign key to remove chocks) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I hated the La7 cause it smoked like crazy at high alts. Eventually I gave it up thinking that Oleg personally hated me. Truth is, he hates Megile. (fuel/air mixture) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I could go on a long time with many noobish examples but I think you get the picture. Don't be afraid to ask questions and if anyone calls you a noob don't take it personally. It's their subtle way of letting you know they were short-changed and need to compensate for the preservation of their ego. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

TheHajj
02-04-2007, 09:38 AM
I'm not worried about Noobness, I run several websites and forums, so I'm used to dealing with them....so I know all about being one my self! LOL I've been reading through some of the FAQs and such and there seems to be a lot going on in this game. I'll make sure to ask questions I can't find the answer to by searching first.

The games should be here some time this coming week, so I have some time to read up some more. I'm also going to just pick up the Saitek X52 for now. I figure I'll fly stand alone for a while until I start getting the hange of it before jumping in online.

Two thinks I've not had a chance to research very much yet, do most people us Team Speak or the like when they play online and does those cool TrackIR devices work with this game?

Pirschjaeger
02-04-2007, 09:53 AM
As for TrackIR I know little about it. From what I have seen is those who use it swear by it. Those who are negative about it haven't tried it. The math is easy. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

As for TS, well,... I live in China. This means, due to time zones, I have to fly on Chinese servers. Being that I speak a minimal Chinese TS is useless to me. Have you ever heard a Chinese screaming on TS? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

But from what I've seen in these threads everyone loves TS when flying online.

If I were you I'd go for both TS and TrackIR. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

MEGILE
02-04-2007, 10:13 AM
My only complaint with this game is that, after you bail, you can't whip out your P-38 and pop a cap

Pirschjaeger
02-04-2007, 02:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Megile:
My only complaint with this game is that, after you bail, you can't whip out your P-38 and pop a cap </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You obviously missed a patch. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

Tully__
02-06-2007, 05:34 AM
Two thinks I've not had a chance to research very much yet, do most people us Team Speak or the like when they play online and does those cool TrackIR devices work with this game? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't go so far as to say "Most" people use teamspeak or similar, but of the people who do use voice comms Teamspeak is by a long margin the most popular. The game has built in voice comms and the only people who even attempt to use that are those who are new to internet gaming and haven't heard of teamspeak it seems http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

Track IR works but the 6 degrees of freedom feature that is part of the latest version of Track IR is not supported. I'd go for the 6DoF version anyway as it isolated head rotation from head movement, allowing you to shuffle in your seat and get your head off centre a little without messing up the view centering so easily. Without 6DoF if you move your head sideways your virtual view will turn, with 6DoF your virtual view turns only when you turn your head.

TheHajj
02-06-2007, 09:49 AM
I'll most likely pick up teh Track IR next month after I've had a chance to play around with the game. I use TS with other games, so that's why I was asking about it. I hate having to try and type when in a fight!

TgD Thunderbolt56
02-06-2007, 12:29 PM
TS + TrackIR, for me anyway, are both almost as essential as using a joystick...but I'm a spoiled, rotten sim-brat.

Oftentimes, getting on TS and asking some of your pertinent questions can save a good amount of time cruising the forums and definitely saves (online) lives and time while in-game.

As far as TIR is concerned, it just becomes so natural and frees up other keystrokes/buttons as well.

If you're like many of us, you may start out with simply a decent joystick and want to go online and fly some old warbirds...only to eventually buy a completely new set of controllers (joystick, throttle, and pedals), TrackIR, upgrade your pc's video card, maybe join a squad and make some great new friends in the process.

Welcome aboard.

TB

TheHajj
02-06-2007, 02:04 PM
I used to play quite a few sims back in the early to mid 90s and had a full set of the old Thrustmaster controllers. After many years, lots of moves and a few different contries, they finally gave out.

Being that the hardware and software technologies have grown so much in tha tpast few years, I thought I'd get back in to sims and see if they have caught up with technology. I must say, I was surprised to see there there were really not any "new" sims out there. The latest ones all seemed to be at least a few years old.

I'm a part time freelance photorapher, so my computer stays pretty up to date and fast. I run 2Gb (going to 4Gb here in a bit) of ram and just upgrade to 2.5 Tera bites, yes that was tera bites, of hard drive space...not that IL2 will use much of that.

I really do hope this game can draw me in. I've always been an airplane fanatic, but RL has left little time for me to enjoy any thing aircraft realated (besides photography from time to time). Maybe this will give me the drive to get back to this part of my life.

Being single will help I think. LOL

TheHajj
02-14-2007, 05:29 PM
Okay, I've had the game installed for a day now and have about 2 hours seat time. First impressions...

The "training" is the worst I've seen of any game. The interface is near the worst I've seen as well. Graphics look good though. I've not manage to do much flying...it's pretty darn hard! I've managed to get off the ground in one piece twice now...but neither of them was pretty by no means.

Once in the air, I get lost pretty easy and Auto pilot just seemed to fly me around it circles. I did encounter an enemy train...and got shot down before I could turn around and make a pass at it. I could see the bullets/tracers but, had no visual or audio clues indicating that I was getting hit... is that normal??

VW-IceFire
02-14-2007, 06:08 PM
Yeah the training is pretty bad...I think most of us just jumped in head first and things went from there. Thats probably the worst part of this game.

My suggestion would be to use the Quick Mission Builder as its really easy to whip together some quick stuff to experiment with. I spent a couple of weeks just trying out a couple of things and then going off to do something else. It starts to sink in and you get pretty good at doing something...then move on http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Regarding sounds and visual or audio cues regarding being hit. Depending on the hit your plane should shake and you should hear the hit. Some of the time. This is true to real life where pilots would sometimes fly back and there'd be a gaping hole somewhere and they never knew they were even hit at all. If you do get hit by some of the bigger flak batteries (40mm or more) then you will feel it...probably in the form of your plane falling apart http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Bearcat99
02-14-2007, 06:25 PM
Keep in mind that once you get 46 now you will have to get the 4.08 patch.

TheHajj
02-14-2007, 06:29 PM
Yeah, my first indication that I was hit was soem black smoke just before the plane started spinning out of control. I guess it's possible I could have "felt" the hits via screen shake...but then my planes (Bf-109) seems to be pretty rough in the air. Not smooth at all.

TheHajj
02-14-2007, 06:33 PM
What? The game is not even officailly out here in the US and there is already a patch for it? Guess I'll go look for it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Jaws2002
02-14-2007, 07:19 PM
You can find it on the frontpage of this site.

http://www.pacific-fighters.com/en/home.php

TheHajj
02-14-2007, 08:22 PM
Thanks, got it already though.