PDA

View Full Version : Newb needs help with his joystick (x-52)

Texasrut
01-11-2005, 12:03 PM
I'm brand new to flight sims. I bought fb+aep+pf a few weeks ago. I was coming along slowly, but surely. However, my old logitech extreme 3d pro just wasn't cutting it. I decided last night to go ahead and buy the saitek x-52. I'm very happy with it, except one thing.

It now feels as though the nose is drifting upwards. I can let go of the stick and the noses pitches up somewhat quickly. In fact, the plane almost rolls over backwards, eventually.

I didn't experience this with my logitech it seemed to maintain pretty level flight when I took my hand off it. I've checked the centering in Il-2 from the in-game hardware menu, and from the il-2 setup program and its dead on. I've also tried to tell if the elevators were shifting in the chase view, but its hard to dscern movement unless you've got the stick all the way forward or back.

Since I don't know too much about flight, I'm guessing this may just be normal, and I'm paranoid because I'm using new hardware. Does the nose of a plane pitch up on its own? I'm really new to this so any help would be appreciated.

-Texasrut

Bongokid
01-11-2005, 12:21 PM
depending on your throtle setting, the nose of your plane will have a tendancy either to drop or rise even with the joystick centered. for example if you're in a level flight with joystick centered and you decrease your throtle, you will have to pull back a bit on the stick to prevent the nose to drop. this is due to flight aerodynamics.

TO avoid having to apply joystick pressure up or down for lengthy period of time just to maintain level flight, you can use elevator trimming : this is a separate control that apply permanent small amounts of elevator.

for example lets say you are in a level flight at 85% throtle with joystick centered. if you reduce throtle to 65 your nose will have a tendency to drop. to prevent that you first maintain your attitude (not altitude) by pulling slightly back on the stick. then you trimm your elevator until you're able to release the stick without your nose dropping.

Hope this helps a bit,

Cheers,

Bongokid

BaldieJr
01-11-2005, 02:40 PM
If you put your trims on the rotaries be sure to center them.

imn2sims
01-11-2005, 05:37 PM
I have the X52 and my trims are on the rotaries.
They are VERY sensitive and the slightest movement makes a difference. I have never been
able to trim a plane out for hands off flight,
close but not quite. I think that is probably
a realistic thing so it doesn't bother me.