PDA

View Full Version : campaigns, etc explained?

dashman
01-21-2009, 07:37 PM
Hello, all,

I've been playing IL2 for a couple of years, never on-line, mostly doing QMs and Single missions.

Hoping that there's no such thing as a dumb question(and realizing this has undoubtedly been asked before - sorry!)...

I have messed around with campaigns and co-ops a little bit off and on, but I'm not sure about what all goes into these. I see the numerous planes listed and other such 'options' but I am not sure how to make good use of those options, what are the choices, why play an off-line campaign vs co-op, etc.

The question: is there a thread somewhere that more less could be called "campaigns and co-ops for dummies"?

Thanks for any help!

dashman
01-21-2009, 07:37 PM
Hello, all,

I've been playing IL2 for a couple of years, never on-line, mostly doing QMs and Single missions.

Hoping that there's no such thing as a dumb question(and realizing this has undoubtedly been asked before - sorry!)...

I have messed around with campaigns and co-ops a little bit off and on, but I'm not sure about what all goes into these. I see the numerous planes listed and other such 'options' but I am not sure how to make good use of those options, what are the choices, why play an off-line campaign vs co-op, etc.

The question: is there a thread somewhere that more less could be called "campaigns and co-ops for dummies"?

Thanks for any help!

Zeus-cat
01-21-2009, 09:38 PM
dashman,

Threre are two types of offline campaigns, dgen and static. There are two types of static campaigns; those that come with the game and user-made ones that you have to download and install.

dgen campaigns are influenced by how well or poorly you do in the missions. You can play the campaign several times and the missions will likely be different each time. The game creates them by combining pre-programmed elements. You also have the option of starting the campaign at a specific battle or time frame and playing until the war is over. You may also and select the planes you want in the battles you want to fly (choices allowed only when you start the campaign). These are major plusses. However, most people find you end up flying very simialr missions again and again. And sometimes the missions can be silly (I have been tasked to fly search missions for a downed pilot at sea from 11,000 feet).

The static campaigns (game supplied and user made) are not influenced by how well you do. You play mission one, then mission two, etc. until you reach the end of the campaign. You can not choose your aircraft. The major plus to these is that whoever creates the campaign can weave a great story and create intriquing and creative missions.

I have created a number of campaigns and all of them have interesting stories that run through the campaign. I also pick planes that most people don't fly very often. See the link below for my campaigns at M4T.

co-ops are meant to be played on-line with other people flying the planes. They can be flown offline by a single person, but the mission may not work properly as the AI may not do what they are supposed to do.

dashman
01-22-2009, 05:01 AM
Thanks, Zeus-cat, that's helpful. I have downloaded some from M4T, not knowing exactly where they would show up in the game. I'll check out the link.

FlatSpinMan
01-22-2009, 05:30 AM
Just open the zip file, look inside for a readme and you'll probably find installation instructions. If there's a problem, just post here.
By the way, co-op campaigns are exactly that, co-operative campaigns designed for multiple players to fly online.
You are on the verge of a lot of fun.