PDA

View Full Version : how long should i run a patrol?

Colwell1199
08-18-2006, 11:08 PM
-S-
How long do you do your patrols? i just go get the objectives done then go back to port, is this right or should i stay out there for more than 2 or 3 days?
Thanks

Colwell1199
08-18-2006, 11:08 PM
-S-
How long do you do your patrols? i just go get the objectives done then go back to port, is this right or should i stay out there for more than 2 or 3 days?
Thanks

AO1_AW_SW_USN
08-18-2006, 11:34 PM
You stay on station until-

a: you only have enough fuel to get back to base/a milkcow location

or

b: you're out of torpedoes and/or deck gun ammunition.

You only need to patrol your assigned grid for 24 continuous hours to get full credit (renown) for patroling your grid. After the 24 hours has expired, you are free to roam the seas... hunting at your leisure.

Baldricks_Mate
08-19-2006, 03:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AO1_AW_SW_USN:

or

You only need to patrol your assigned grid for 24 continuous hours tp get full credit (renown) for patroling your grid. After the 24 hours has expired, you are free to roam the seas... hunting at your leisure. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's right, you spend 28 days in base so make the most of it while you're out there.

I will cut short a patrol only rarely, like the weather is atrocious for weeks on end and if I suffer damage that would put my boat at risk to continue. Because I play DiD, I am careful about staying out in a badly damaged boat; no re-load of game is allowed for me.

Blood_Splat
08-19-2006, 04:15 AM
Well when the weather seems like it will never clear up I head back to base. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Tomas_W
08-19-2006, 04:36 AM
I return to port when;

- I'm out of torpedoes and/or deck gun ammo(if weather is good(6m/sec winds or less),i try to spend all deck gun ammo before i go home,if it's bad(7m/sec or more)i usually don't have the patience to wait for the wind to slow down).
On the other hand, i try to make use of my deck gun ammo as soon as i get the chance, 'cause you'll never know when the winds get too strong and how long they'll stay that way.

- I only have enough fuel to go home.

- A vital system is destroyed and can't be repaired

- My hull intergrity percentage has gotten low

- I've gotten tired of the patrol and wan't a fresh start

My longest patrol so far lasted for about two months, give or take a couple of days.The reason: Heavy fog most of the time and a shortage of targets when the weather was acceptable.

Foehammer-1
08-19-2006, 07:01 AM
I agree to the above post, except one minor detail. If you want, you can go to data/submarine/(your sub type)/cfg, and change max wind speed to 15 on deck gun. That will allow you to use it in any storm, although if the wave goes over it, the gun will not reload. Personally, I haven't used the gun ever since 1942 (except for an occasional fishing boat). Those armed merchants do get a lot better at aiming, and they are not affected too much by pitching of the boat, like we are. At this stage, I just torpedo them.

alekSpain
04-28-2007, 01:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AO1_AW_SW_USN:

or

You only need to patrol your assigned grid for 24 continuous hours to get full credit (renown) for patroling your grid. After the 24 hours has expired, you are free to roam the seas... hunting at your leisure. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since I play SH3 I have had this doubt, did real kapitans do this in the war? (patroling an area for 24hours an then going on their own where they wanted??

geoffwessex
04-28-2007, 06:22 PM
Don't forget that once the boats were at sea and on their way to, or in position in, their patrol grid, they were directed by BdU by radio. They'd be moved to locations where Bdienst (Intelligence) considered it likely that they'd meet a convoy, or when informed by other boats in their contact reports. Yes, they had patrol grids ordered for them, but once at sea they were ordered all around the place. Of course, one of the downfalls of U-boat campaign was that the radio transmissions from submarines were traced, convoys altered etc.

In SH3, we don't have 'live' intelligence or updated orders by radio, so the compromise is to go to a patrol grid and then head off to where you like and - from past experience - you may find targets.

As for SH3 patrol length, I just did a 1944 patrol, didn't find much traffic and headed back to St Nazaire. One day out from there I was redirected to Bergen. Conserving fuel by keeping to slow speeds, it made the whole patrol last 33 (game) days. Perhaps there should be a small factor of renown per day at sea. I got 29000 tons including two destroyers, but still didn't get 1000 renown points.