PDA

View Full Version : noob needs advice

Gator001
05-02-2004, 09:58 PM
My first post here. I have just started my journey in flight sims so I am more than green to say the least,lol. Once I get airborne Im not to bad. I am having trouble landing shots. I wait and close in on target, not shooting way out and sometimes it seems I can reach out and touch target but I cant land good shot or poor ones, lol. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks
Gator

Gator001
05-02-2004, 09:58 PM
My first post here. I have just started my journey in flight sims so I am more than green to say the least,lol. Once I get airborne Im not to bad. I am having trouble landing shots. I wait and close in on target, not shooting way out and sometimes it seems I can reach out and touch target but I cant land good shot or poor ones, lol. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks
Gator

LC34
05-02-2004, 10:01 PM
Much as I know you wont like this but ...practice.

I usually wait until I am within 20m or less to shoot, that way I normally land a few rounds into the plane before he can get away from me.

Also try deflection shots at the engine or pilot, or aiming at the base of the wings. Shooting at the tail end usually doesn't do enough damage right away to lead directly to a kill, but if you can keep plugging away at his tail, eventually it will bring them down.

Don't get frustrated, it takes a little while to become really successful at shooting down other planes but its worth it once you get the hang of it. Gotta love this sim. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Dmitri9mm
05-03-2004, 12:42 AM
Since you appear to be new to flight sims I will ask you this: Do you own a joystick? If not I advise you to buy one as soon as possible, since this game is nearly unplayable without at least one stick.
If you own a joystick I have to agree with LC34, it just takes a lot of practice to get into this game.
There are a few things you can do though:
When on the enemys back try reducing game speed to half or quarter speed, this gives a very different feeling of the game and much better control, and you should be able to learn to place every single shot right on the target.
Then try at normal gamespeed vs easy targets (bombers, transport planes etc.) and finally move up to challenging fighters.
You will find that all it takes is some basic knowledge about deflection, and then a lot of practice. You have to be gentle all the time, never putting sudden force on the stick.
Also remember that not all planes in this game are great gun-platforms, I recomment that you practice in the Hurricane Mk IIc since it is stable and forgiving with A LOT of firepower.
It will also teach you the meaning of gun convergence (the distance at which the bullets from the guns in either side cross each others paths) this is no real concern in planes with a nose-gun configuration. I recomment a convergence of 200-300m for dogfighting, and 500m for intercepting bombers.
Last but not least: It is of great importance where you place your shots. If your plane is equipped with machineguns only, it is waste of ammo to just fire at the enemys six o'clock, try instead to go in from above or below, or preferably deflecting from the sides.
You have to aim for the vital parts of the plane, these can differ from plane type to plane type, but these areas are vitals on all planes: Engine and cowling, cockpit (some planes have great pilot protection, but most do not), and finally: the wing root (this works best with a canon and takes the wing right off!).
Good luck with one of the best sims ever produced! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

http://barella.mat.ehime-u.ac.jp/kumac/P51/pics/079s1.gif
The n00b, the n00b, the n00b is on fire.
We don't need no Ponys let the ************ burn. Burn ************! BURN!

[This message was edited by Dmitri9mm on Sun May 02 2004 at 11:50 PM.]

AlGroover
05-03-2004, 03:41 AM
Don't expect huge numbers of kills like you can get in some other sims. Even with experience, if you average 1 kill per campaign mission, you are doing well.

Fehler
05-03-2004, 04:02 AM
Just a few other points I would like to add.

1. Keep checking back here often, there should be a patch soon to increase the damage of some different weapons. (Your shot may be hitting but not causing enough damage right now)

2. Remember that a poorly trimmed or yawed plane will cause drag and slow you down, and also cause your rounds to land away from where your crosshairs seem to be pointing. If you have a twist stick or rudder pedals, or fly a plane that allows rudder trim, use them. The experience will be much better for you.

3. Learn deflection shooting. It is much easier to hit a big target (wings for example) with a bigger aspect ratio. In other words the more wing you see, the easier it is to hit.

4. I agree with others that suggest practicing in the QMB (Quick Mission Builder) on transports or bombers. Load your plane, then make the bombers or transports on the same side (Axis/Allied) as you so they dont shoot back. This is a great way to learn how the gunnery in the sim works.

5. Pick easier planes to shoot first. The Russian planes fly easier and seem to shoot a little straighter, so the learning curve is a lot less.

6. (Most important) Be patient. This is like no other game you have ever played. Some areas of this sim have a very steep learning curve, especially for a beginner. Do not get discouraged if you dont become Eric Hartmann or Greg Boyington in a day. I promise you that the amount of time you put into learning the sim and it's planes, the more enjoyment you will get out of it.

7. Check some of the sticky threads posted above. There are great links or suggestions to flying, energy management, ground pounding, gunnery, and general "Gee Whiz" stuff posted in this forum.

Have fun m8, and welcome to the addiction!

http://webpages.charter.net/cuda70/FehlerSig.gif
http://webpages.charter.net/cuda70/9JG54.html

Yellonet
05-03-2004, 04:13 AM
If you usually fire from up close, remember to set your gun convergence for that distance.

- yellonet

Hawgdog
05-03-2004, 05:25 AM
And once you finally get good, change your name often. Very often. Never get more than 300 points in any online game either.
Once you get to the point of whacking planes out of the air easily in combat, or at least you think you'll get two kills per run, ditch in an airfield, crash land. Bail out.
At that point is when you become an ace. And that point you'll be hounded like a piece of bacon at a pitbull party. You will get jumped so often your stats will wither and you'll start getting mocked.
Get the most points in any one game and you are a target. You'll get rammed, your...ah, "mates" will shoot over your shoulder, if you try and help you'll be labled a pointhore.
trust me

you'll get there, theres about 200 or so current aces out there, and when you think you're all that....one of them will show up to humble your butt.
Practice! offline, slow the game down to half speed and learn what the "sight picture" looks like. its only time, but practice online as nothing teaches you how to box like getting punched in the face, eh?

http://img5.photobucket.com/albums/v22/HawgDog/sharkdog.gif
When you get to Hell, tell 'em HawgDog sent you!

http://img5.photobucket.com/albums/v22/HawgDog/says.jpg

Franzen
05-03-2004, 05:59 AM
You're probably trying to hit your target from their 6. A plane from it's six is a very small tartget and hard to hit. I can't do that, some guyz can. If I get their 6 I usally give a short blast from about 50m just to scare them. Quite often they'll quickly turn to one side or the other, becoming a bigger target. Then it's much easier to get some hits.

Fritz Franzen

Chuck_Older
05-03-2004, 07:46 AM
Gator-

I guess all this advice is well intentioned and some of it's good, but first things first-

What plane are you flying?

Pick one, stick with it, until you understand aerial gunnery. Don't jump around from plane to plane. it will only frustrate you. Choose one you can fly around and not stall out or spin every time you turn, and learn to fly it comfortably.

Learn to fly with the rudder. The rudder is pretty important. Co-ordinate your turns, which means: use the rudder and ailerons in tandem.

The only three things that will make you a good shot are:

1) learning to fly the plane so you make it do what you want it to do
2) stick with that plane
3) practice

A lot of players will shoot, then pause the game, and then use "enemy view" to look at their target and see if they are getting hits, or are only close.

My suggestion would be to fly the La-5fn in Quick mision builder. Make your enemies He-111s, and with unlimited ammo, and vulnerability "off", get some practice.

The hillsides ring with, "Free the People",
Or can I hear the echoes from the days of '39?
~ Clash

El Turo
05-03-2004, 10:36 AM
I will echo what others have said... pick a plane and stick with it so you learn the little nuances and quirks... but also get very comfortable in "feel" and control. Additionally, while learning gunnery, I strongly suggest loading up the quick mission builder against 16 AI planes as target drones. For plane selection, I'd recommend beginning with something that has as close to an "absolute" advantage as you can get. Meaning, it is absolutely the top-tier of ability in one of the five primary categories. For the beginner, I would say that these are the top five in order of importance with some limited examples:

Turn (Hurricane, Spitfire, Zero)
Climb (109 of equal/better year than opponent)
Speed (Plenty of fast planes.. 109K4, Fw190, La7, P38)
Firepower/Gunnery-stability (Hurricane IIc)
Roll (fw190, ta152, P40)

All in all, I'd probably recommend the Hurricane IIc as the best trainer aircraft. You have great hitting power but still have to learn to use convergence to your advantage and ammo-management as you progress. The La5fn is also a good learner.

Take it in steps:

1) Unlimited Ammo, Invulnerable, 100% bombers, use 1/4 time to aim
2) Unlimited Ammo, Invulnerable, 100% bombers and no slowing of time
3) Unlimited Ammo, vulnerable, 4 rookie bombers
4) Limited Ammo, vulnerable, 4 veteran bombers
5) Increase skill level of bombers until you can kill 4+ ace-level units in one mission

Then, switch to fighters and begin anew:

Start with Unlimited Ammo, Invulnerable, etc.

Slowly work your way up to the point at which you can take on multiple fighter opponents at once on ace difficulty settings.

Practice practice practice that gunnery. I don't think there is a singularly more important skill to have. All the fancy flying in the world isn't going to make the smallest bit of difference if you can't kill your bandit.

Callsign "Turo" in IL2:FB & WWIIOL

[This message was edited by H_Butcher on Mon May 03 2004 at 09:49 AM.]