PDA

View Full Version : Tried the Yak series..

GH_Klingstroem
03-14-2006, 07:04 AM
Im usually a fw190 driver.. I think I can say that I am pretty good with it. Its the AC that I do best in. I very very seldom get shot down when flying one. Im trying to get used to fly the 109 as well. Then I prefer the 109G6, because she is something in between the most manouverable and the least manouverable of them all, but still a very deadly AC in the right hands. I do pretty well with her as well. Dont like the stiff elevators though...

I have had Il2 since 2001 and yesterday I tried the Yak 9, which is something in the middle as well.. AND I COULDNT HIT A DARN THING!! I flew 16 Yak 9s vs 16 bf109G&s and mixed it up in the typical dogfight at 3000 metres. Everytime I got shot down, but couldnt hit a damn thing with her!! I did this 3 times and kept thinking that it just was one of those days... Then I swopped planes and flew the 109G6 and immediatley I started to hit things with my guns and got 3 kills... I then swopped to the fw190a8 and did even better in that one! I LOVE the FW190 in the last patch!! I just dislike the forward view, which will never get changed anyway!!

Anyway, the reason for this post is to give credit to red pilots flying the Yak and Laggs and early La5s! They are not uber!
I also love the new aggressive AI!!! Keep it coming! The new AI has given back the fun of flying offline!!!! If the AI could stay as aggressvive as they are, but would at least black out and keep their rollrates at historical rates then it would be perfect for me!!!

GH_Klingstroem
03-14-2006, 07:04 AM
Im usually a fw190 driver.. I think I can say that I am pretty good with it. Its the AC that I do best in. I very very seldom get shot down when flying one. Im trying to get used to fly the 109 as well. Then I prefer the 109G6, because she is something in between the most manouverable and the least manouverable of them all, but still a very deadly AC in the right hands. I do pretty well with her as well. Dont like the stiff elevators though...

I have had Il2 since 2001 and yesterday I tried the Yak 9, which is something in the middle as well.. AND I COULDNT HIT A DARN THING!! I flew 16 Yak 9s vs 16 bf109G&s and mixed it up in the typical dogfight at 3000 metres. Everytime I got shot down, but couldnt hit a damn thing with her!! I did this 3 times and kept thinking that it just was one of those days... Then I swopped planes and flew the 109G6 and immediatley I started to hit things with my guns and got 3 kills... I then swopped to the fw190a8 and did even better in that one! I LOVE the FW190 in the last patch!! I just dislike the forward view, which will never get changed anyway!!

Anyway, the reason for this post is to give credit to red pilots flying the Yak and Laggs and early La5s! They are not uber!
I also love the new aggressive AI!!! Keep it coming! The new AI has given back the fun of flying offline!!!! If the AI could stay as aggressvive as they are, but would at least black out and keep their rollrates at historical rates then it would be perfect for me!!!

Kuna_
03-14-2006, 07:58 AM
I suppose, judging from your post, that you fly on realistic server.
Because on that kind of server FW-190 have their full advantage and that is bouncing other people on high speed.

If you decide to fly Yak-9 you must be prepared to be shot down. Yak is good fighter but does not allow that bouncing kind of combat. You must mix up with enemy in order to get your kill.

Tempest & FW-190 are sovereign kings of clean bouncing fights on realistic servers.
Most of the times they need to get oppo into gunsite only for a sec and the enemy goes down.

panther3485
03-14-2006, 07:59 AM
Quote:
"I also love the new aggressive AI!!! Keep it coming! The new AI has given back the fun of flying offline!!!! If the AI could stay as aggressvive as they are, but would at least black out and keep their rollrates at historical rates then it would be perfect for me!!!"

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

I gotta agree with you on that!

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Best regards,
panther3485

JG52Karaya-X
03-14-2006, 08:06 AM
The AI sure is more aggressive and challenging but cheats in every possible way:

- It can pull 15Gs turns at high speed and not suffer any damage
- It can overdive planes to speeds where the player would already suffer a wing loss and/or other damage
- It climbs into you and continues to do so until it is basically down to ~20km/h and only THEN noses over and dives down again
- The AI rolls faster in any plane than the player
- It will hit you at impossible angles and approach speeds but yet is incapable of scoring hits at very low deflection and closing speeds

Just a few observations...

mynameisroland
03-14-2006, 08:12 AM
Its the pilot and not the plane, you are a pilot familiar with German aircraft. If you flew a La5 long enough to fly it properly you would come to realise that it has the potential to be unbeatable below 4000m.

GH_Klingstroem
03-14-2006, 08:23 AM
Agree with you Karaya!

TX-Zen
03-14-2006, 08:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mynameisroland:
Its the pilot and not the plane, you are a pilot familiar with German aircraft. If you flew a La5 long enough to fly it properly you would come to realise that it has the potential to be unbeatable below 4000m. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1

The only disadvantage that the LA or Yak really has is the same one that any plane has, which is against pure BnZ. It is very difficult to break the BnZer's E advantage, however this is often a stalemate in most cases, because it takes a really good BnZer to hit an aircraft this is actively defending itself, especially Yaks and LA's, or any highly turnable fighter.

Flown as an E fighter instead of just a 'pull back on the stick to the edge of blackout' yank and banker, LA's are devastating. IMHO the LA is probably one of the most underrated planes in the energy fighter category because everyone loves that superb turn rate and can't see beyond it.

thefruitbat
03-14-2006, 09:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TX-Zen:

Flown as an E fighter instead of just a 'pull back on the stick to the edge of blackout' yank and banker, LA's are devastating. IMHO the LA is probably one of the most underrated planes in the energy fighter category because everyone loves that superb turn rate and can't see beyond it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

agreed100%, flown as an e fighter, your only real concern is managing your dive speed ie, dont let it get to high

TheGozr
03-14-2006, 11:00 AM
If you manage to manage your engine correctly, mix , prop pitch and super charge , to check always your altitude tuning and be able to see through the very poor front canopy view and get ok in shooting with nose canons, the yak9U is the ultimite interceptor fighter. when i'm tired i get into axis aircrafts they are fun shooting fantastic and the front view are egual to none, no much engine management is requier like US aircraft just watch the prop pitch ( exelent ).

ACtually all aircrafts have a very distinc style of fighting, flying and engine management and set to everyone style, they are all great to fly. get experience in the one you feel best of and suit your liking , know it well and you'll be deadly in one.

Brain32
03-14-2006, 11:12 AM
What bothers me most in Russian planes is the gunsight, it irritates the he11 out of me I'm simply bad at aim with it. Revi is my favourite, but that's maybe because I have flown Blue planes 90% of time up until the Tempest showed up http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

AnaK774
03-14-2006, 11:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

tried the Yak 9,AND I COULDNT HIT A DARN THING!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As you said, you have lot of time in german planes.

Use about 2/7th of lead you use with 151/20 and you do fine

SnapdLikeAMutha
03-14-2006, 12:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by panther3485:
Quote:
"I also love the new aggressive AI!!! Keep it coming! The new AI has given back the fun of flying offline!!!! If the AI could stay as aggressvive as they are, but would at least black out and keep their rollrates at historical rates then it would be perfect for me!!!"

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

I gotta agree with you on that!

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Best regards,
panther3485 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As do i! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

JtD
03-14-2006, 12:27 PM
If the La series had a higher dive limit, a better medium alt performance, decent high speed handling and another 2 cannons it indeed would make a good B'n'Z plane.

I too find the Yak's hard to get used to, maybe it is because their prop goes the other way round. Imho they are fairly ok aircraft, but I think the 109 (G-2 vs. contemporaries esp.) is the better dogfighter. I do like the 9u a lot, though. Absolutely on par with late G model 109's.

JG4_Helofly
03-14-2006, 12:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheGozr:
If you manage to manage your engine correctly, mix , prop pitch and super charge , to check always your altitude tuning and be able to see through the very poor front canopy view and get ok in shooting with nose canons, the yak9U is the ultimite interceptor fighter. when i'm tired i get into axis aircrafts they are fun shooting fantastic and the front view are egual to none, no much engine management is requier like US aircraft just watch the prop pitch ( exelent ).

ACtually all aircrafts have a very distinc style of fighting, flying and engine management and set to everyone style, they are all great to fly. get experience in the one you feel best of and suit your liking , know it well and you'll be deadlt in one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Prop pitch? In Red planes you can leave the pitch at 100% and nothing happen. Is it realistic or not?

JtD
03-14-2006, 01:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JG4_Helofly:
In Red planes you can leave the pitch at 100% and nothing happen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The entire La series will lose the engine in a dive if you are not careful. That's a lot more than nothing. FW is not red. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

VW-IceFire
03-14-2006, 04:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GH_Klingstroem:

I also love the new aggressive AI!!! Keep it coming! The new AI has given back the fun of flying offline!!!! If the AI could stay as aggressvive as they are, but would at least black out and keep their rollrates at historical rates then it would be perfect for me!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Welcome to the other side http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I tend to fly all aircraft and I find that many who don't tend to have a skewed perspective towards the enemy aircraft being better than it really is. They *look better* but when you go and fly them for yourself it isn't always peaches. The grass always being better on the other side analogy is copletely true.

Yak's are tough aircraft to fly...harder than they appear to be.

As long as you have experience in the aircraft your flying you can be deadly. But if you aren't then its going to be a rough challenge. Your specialization in the FW190 and Bf109 is a great bonus to your combat abilities as you are well aware of what your plane will do, how it shoots, what the ammo capacity is, and so forth. You can feel and listen to the aircraft. But you aren't there with the Yak http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

chaikanut
03-14-2006, 05:06 PM
All the german aircraft are stable and smooth in their control, especially the 109 series. Like some finnish ace said, they feel more like an airplane mounted on a rifle, aiming is very easy with them. The La's are also stable but the Yaks are not and combined with their cr*ppy gunsight it makes life difficult in the beginning.

TheGozr
03-14-2006, 05:10 PM
One word "NormandieNiemen"'s server on HL http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif test the yaks versus axis. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Good luck!.

jds1978
03-14-2006, 07:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chaikanut:
All the german aircraft are stable and smooth in their control, especially the 109 series. Like some finnish ace said, they feel more like an airplane mounted on a rifle, aiming is very easy with them. The La's are also stable but the Yaks are not and combined with their cr*ppy gunsight it makes life difficult in the beginning. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, what is the deal with those Soviet gunsights http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

You can't see a d@mn thing with them!

How do you VVS guys do it?

VW-IceFire
03-14-2006, 08:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jds1978:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chaikanut:
All the german aircraft are stable and smooth in their control, especially the 109 series. Like some finnish ace said, they feel more like an airplane mounted on a rifle, aiming is very easy with them. The La's are also stable but the Yaks are not and combined with their cr*ppy gunsight it makes life difficult in the beginning. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, what is the deal with those Soviet gunsights http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

You can't see a d@mn thing with them!

How do you VVS guys do it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Same way I do it in a FW190...see the bandit, pull into firing position, fire and either you scored hits because you were correctly anticipating the target or you missed because you didn't.

Until the Corsair and the Tempest, I was flying aircraft where I was shooting blind probably about 80% of the time. With the Tempest I've just managed to increase my deflection shooting angle...so I'm still shooting blind. Strange isn't it?

Sometimes it works...sometimes not.

Badsight.
03-14-2006, 09:26 PM
i love flying Yaks , but when i do , my hit-percentage drops away Big time

has done ever since FB v1.0 - i just do not like the way Yak's shoot - lucky for me , when their guns connect - the bandit knows about it .)

shinden1974
03-14-2006, 09:59 PM
I'm pretty successful with it offline, but that means my experience with it won't really count...but hey I've got time to burn...

my convergences are at 400, both guns and cannon, because the nose drops a little and my shells arc high, I hit pretty effectively with it using this convergence. (I'm typically 150-200 for anything else)

I get very close with cannon and pop away with my one MG in most of the variants. against any german plane I always aim at the wings, hitting the fuselage is a good way to waste ammo.

They all fall apart real easy and the good speeds they fly at means you'll die in the dive if you're not paying attention. I find it pretty hard to land in bad weather and the view is pretty bad...still I love this thing...I'm just not sure why.

the yak-9UT and the yak-3P are completely different animals, the firepower is all the difference in the world for the yak.

GH_Klingstroem
03-15-2006, 03:23 AM
hehe know what yoy mean Icefire! As I said, im mostly a fw190 driver, and with it comes the "blind shooting" skill! The target dissappears below your nose, but you somehow know when to fire even tho you have no clue where he is.... The cockpit bar doesnt really do much good does it... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

DIRTY-MAC
03-15-2006, 03:40 AM
The Yak 9U is a really good performer over 5000m
can compete with 109s up there

Tipo_Man
03-15-2006, 04:21 AM
It really depends on what type of mission you fly...
I too prefer flying G2 or F4, but in certain areas Yaks are unbeatable.
Suppose you have to cover a low flying hs-129 with a pair of Fw-190A4. A pair of Yak-1B will eat you in minutes.
We can try it online if you wish.
Soon you will realize the only chance for you is running away at max speed. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Your excellent high speed handling won't help you much in covering a slow and low flying plane...
Of course, if you have to attack a high flying Pe-2, covered by the same Yaks, the Fw-190A4 would be the winner...

VW-IceFire
03-15-2006, 08:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GH_Klingstroem:
hehe know what yoy mean Icefire! As I said, im mostly a fw190 driver, and with it comes the "blind shooting" skill! The target dissappears below your nose, but you somehow know when to fire even tho you have no clue where he is.... The cockpit bar doesnt really do much good does it... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No it doesn't...but a very similar problem exists on the Yak series. You get a little more...but not much. The gunsight and cockpit bars feel very cramped indeed.

jimDG
03-15-2006, 09:16 AM
yeah, the ShVAK are near damn useless. The HE round are few and far in between the belting, and they dont do much even if they connect. Most of the times, walking a stream of bullets across the target results in only one-two AP hits, and the HE go above and below.

Kocur_
03-15-2006, 12:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The HE round are few and far in between the belting </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually belting seems to be AP-HE-HE-HE.

jimDG
03-15-2006, 01:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kocur_:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The HE round are few and far in between the belting </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually belting seems to be AP-HE-HE-HE. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just tried it on a hangar. You are right. Well I dont know whats wrong with the Shvak - the mg151 and the MGFF seem to deal more damage per burst (in my own dogfighting experience)

Kocur_
03-15-2006, 01:57 PM
Well, both MG FFM and MG-151/20 have Minengeschoss in their belts... No to mention, that ShVAK HE round contained quite little explosive, like 5,7g compared to ~10g in Hispano and ~20g in Minengeschoss.