PDA

View Full Version : Icons online - Bit confused.

signalnorth
12-02-2005, 01:46 AM
What is the significance of those aeroplanes on line which have a very dark grey icon rather than Blue or Red? I thought perhaps that they all seemed this colour until you got close up, but I was within 200yds of one last evening and it remained this colour rather than turning red or blue.

Also, is it possible to find out who is flying for which side by any means once flying?

signalnorth
12-02-2005, 01:46 AM
What is the significance of those aeroplanes on line which have a very dark grey icon rather than Blue or Red? I thought perhaps that they all seemed this colour until you got close up, but I was within 200yds of one last evening and it remained this colour rather than turning red or blue.

Also, is it possible to find out who is flying for which side by any means once flying?

polak5
12-02-2005, 01:53 AM
hit ur S key

x6BL_Brando
12-02-2005, 04:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What is the significance of those aeroplanes on line which have a very dark grey icon rather than Blue or Red? I thought perhaps that they all seemed this colour until you got close up, but I was within 200yds of one last evening and it remained this colour rather than turning red or blue. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How icons are seen is an in-game setting applied by the host on his/her server.
Colour, range at which visible, and amount of info given are all able to be set host-side.

Kuna15
12-02-2005, 12:59 PM
Check this out http://www.jumpintojapan.com/custom-icon-settings.html
all about icon settings and how to customize them.

signalnorth
12-02-2005, 01:31 PM
Ta very much

Aviar
12-02-2005, 01:46 PM
One reason for having all black icons is to allow for further investigation of the contact. In other words, to find out if the plane is friend or foe. *(Obviously, this is only with limited icons, where the plane type is not shown.)

Considering the limited capabilities of our monitors concerning in-game views, some hosts choose to allow icons in order to make 'spotting' planes a little bit easier.

That being said, they don't want to do all of the work for the player (Red\Blue icons)...thus the black icons.

Aviar

Tully__
12-02-2005, 04:36 PM
You can check what settings are in use on the server by typing:

&gt;mpdotrange

in the chat window. Don't forget the "&gt;" at the start, and you'll have to delete the "&gt;" before you can chat again.

Aviar
12-02-2005, 04:43 PM
Good point, Tully. This is the first thing I always do when I go into a DF room.

Somtimes the icon settings are mentioned in the brief, but many times I've found that they are actually different than stated.

Possibly, the brief has not been updated or incorrect in the first place or the icons have been set incorrectly.

Either way, it's a good habit to check for yourself.

Aviar