PDA

View Full Version : Want to upgrade my computer to play this....

narcotic_rex
01-16-2007, 01:16 AM
I want to spend around $400 to upgrade my mobo, cpu, ram and video card. I havent built a computer in years so I havent kept up with technology really - Should I get a 64 bit processor? I dont care about vista. i know this sounds stupid, but I just got back into computer gaming after several years of just console gaming, and find myself confused. Suggestions please? Thanks!

narcotic_rex
01-16-2007, 01:16 AM
I want to spend around $400 to upgrade my mobo, cpu, ram and video card. I havent built a computer in years so I havent kept up with technology really - Should I get a 64 bit processor? I dont care about vista. i know this sounds stupid, but I just got back into computer gaming after several years of just console gaming, and find myself confused. Suggestions please? Thanks!

stansdds
01-16-2007, 04:01 AM
If you are going to spend money on an upgrade, go ahead and build a system using one of the Intel Core2Duo CPU's. The E6300 and E6400 seem to be really good, but next week should see the introduction of the E4300, which promises to be just as good at overclocking, but less expensive than the E6300.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

When you know as much as I do, you become a danger only to yourself. -Stans, 2006

Xiolablu3
01-16-2007, 04:23 PM
Yeah Core2Duo's are the way to go.

Blazing speed, even at the lower end of the scale.

I am also looking for motherboard suggestions for a COre2Duo, so pls chip in with your ideas guys!

I would appreciate a budget to midrange board, for about the same price Narc is looking to spend.
Prefereably MSI, ABIT or another good make, with decent features. Not a totally nerfed budget board pls. Looking to spend around 50-70.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

--------------------------------------------------------------------
"I despise what you say; I will defend to the death your right to say it."
-Voltaire

VW-IceFire
01-16-2007, 04:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by narcotic_rex:
I want to spend around $400 to upgrade my mobo, cpu, ram and video card. I havent built a computer in years so I havent kept up with technology really - Should I get a 64 bit processor? I dont care about vista. i know this sounds stupid, but I just got back into computer gaming after several years of just console gaming, and find myself confused. Suggestions please? Thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well if you're building...then look to get a AMD Ahtlon 64 X2 (given that you have a low budget) on the lowish side of the scale or an Intel Core 2 Duo. The low end Core 2's and Athlon64's have similar performance for price. That diverges as you go higher if you look strictly at CPU pricing. Motherboards are a bit cheaper I find on the AMD side but depends quite a bit on what you want.

There are few non-64 bit CPU's on the market. Not worth it to skimp on that. Get the 64 bit...it may not be worth much right now but they are usually the more advanced chips either way. 64 bit CPU's currently on the market work completely fine in 32bit mode and they have been around for nearly three and a half years now.

Be sure to get the middle SKU graphics card as well. Be that a GeForce 6600GT, X1600, 7600GT, whatever...get those at the very least. The low end $100 are not worth it.

At least 1GB of RAM....and...a joystick for this game. That should do you decently well. Not sure if you can do that in under $400 but maybe $600...I realize its a budget thing but try and not skimp on the really cheap stuff. It burns out, dies, and overall does not do what it should...and you end up spending more replacing it later. In my opinion anyways.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/icefire-tempestv.jpg
Find my missions at Flying Legends (http://www.flying-legends.net/php/downloads/downloads.php?cat_id=19) and Mission4Today.com (http://www.mission4today.com).