PDA

View Full Version : remembrance

deskpilot
11-02-2008, 05:08 AM
just thinking about remembrance day got me reflecting how "playing" IL2 has in an admittedly very limited way helped me to appreciate how tough it was for those young lads who flew for real. I've read "fighter boys" by Patrick Bishop which is a great account of the battle of Britain. Anyone read "bomber boys"? What about the radio 4 drama "bomber"? that was amazing. Utterly gripping. Anyone got any other books, etc they'd recommend? I'm reading one at the moment (Band of Eagles by Frank Barnard) and appreciate all the more some of the details because I've encountered , say, prop pitch in Il2, so at least know what the author is talking about. Hats off to all the guys who did this thing for real.

deskpilot
11-02-2008, 05:08 AM
just thinking about remembrance day got me reflecting how "playing" IL2 has in an admittedly very limited way helped me to appreciate how tough it was for those young lads who flew for real. I've read "fighter boys" by Patrick Bishop which is a great account of the battle of Britain. Anyone read "bomber boys"? What about the radio 4 drama "bomber"? that was amazing. Utterly gripping. Anyone got any other books, etc they'd recommend? I'm reading one at the moment (Band of Eagles by Frank Barnard) and appreciate all the more some of the details because I've encountered , say, prop pitch in Il2, so at least know what the author is talking about. Hats off to all the guys who did this thing for real.

Tranie117
11-02-2008, 05:59 AM
"I have here a very old letter, written to a Mrs. Bixby in Boston. "Dear Madam: I have been shown in the files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant-General of Massachusetts that you are the mother of five sons who have died gloriously on the field of battle. I feel how weak and fruitless must be any words of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering to you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save. I pray that our heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom. Yours very sincerely and respectfully, Abraham Lincoln."

That quote from "Saving Private Ryan" realy brings home the reality of loosing a loved one.

Divine-Wind
11-02-2008, 07:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deskpilot:
Hats off to all the guys who did this thing for real. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Indeed. S!