PDA

View Full Version : 1.02 Patch now available! (Does it solve your problems?)

Locut0s
11-15-2004, 04:30 PM
Hi.

I just purchased Myst IV a few days ago and after playing a bit, and before reading any of the posts here I installed the 1.01 patch. Well what do you know I encountered the blocky/patchy shadder issue. It seems most people who have the problem are running older ATI cards, however I'm running a GeForce 1 card. Anyways thanks to maztec's post I was able to solve this and continue playing. However I have noticed a few crashes to the desktop since so it seems that even with this fix there are other stability issues with 1.01. Well I just noticed that the 1.02 patch is now available!! However since I'm able to play things fine now I would prefer not to install the new patch until I can be assured that it won't make things worse and actually solves the 1.01 problems too. So I invite others who have been having problems with 1.01 and who feel like taking the plunge and install 1.02 to reply to this thread and let the rest of us know how things go http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

maztec
11-15-2004, 06:23 PM
Hmm? 1.02 won't be available for at least a couple more days. Pretty sure it's not out....

thony216
11-15-2004, 06:47 PM
Patch 1.02 is available now from ubi support at:
http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ubisoft.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=10089

anThony

dkuroki
11-15-2004, 07:56 PM
Yup, 1.02 is available. 4.3 mb or so in size. What I want to know and they didn't mention it specifically on the Ubi website is does this patch do the subtitle thing?

maztec
11-15-2004, 08:09 PM
No it doesn't do the subtitle thing, that's v1.2

heh

Interesting, funny that they didn't announce it on the mailing list they put me on for such things. More interesting that I was told it wouldn't be released until tomorrow, but whatever..

*rumbles at ubi some more*

Anyway, it's a v1.00 to v1.02 patch, and is 41.0MB in size. Is there a v1.01 to v1.02 patch that's 4.3MB in size? Didn't notice that for whatever reason.

Anyway, I'm putting the patch onto my box now and will see if it fixes the v1.01 issues at least :P Overall, I know v1.02 is the exact same fixes as v1.01 - but without all the bugs :P

Supposedly.

Maz

maztec
11-15-2004, 08:27 PM
Patch v1.02 is supposed to fix:

PC & MAC:
Radeon 7000-7500 fixes random square all over spire (ATI driver bug)
Timing of frequency lock puzzle (spire) tweaked to be less time sensitive.
Timing of Camoudile puzzle tweaked to be less time sensitive.
Fixes a mismatch when resetting Camoudile puzzle.
Fixes a random crash when resetting the Camoudile puzzle.
Version number of the game now displayed in bottom left.
Size of save game lowered after taking a lot of pictures.

PC ONLY:
Workaround for ATI driver bug that was making game crash on Radeon 7500 in Win XP in second node of observatory and other random places.

MAC ONLY:
Fire offerings are now seen correctly in Serenia.

--- As you can tell, same items as v1.01 but hopefully doesn't break anything.

*wanders off to test*

maztec
11-15-2004, 08:33 PM
Now for Issues...

And the differences.

They've added text for the Depth of Field Effect "You can disable this option if the mouse movements are not fluid." And Depth of Field now works with the patch, Yay!

And it appears to have fixed the graphical anomalies caused by the previous patch.

Spire puzzle is now easier to do. Depth of Field definitely works. Serenia seems fine. And Camoudile puzzle is now easier to do.

My rating of this patch? One and a half thumbs up http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I'd say it's safe to give a try and you can still back out of it same way you did for v1.01. Let me know if it gives you any problems.

Maz

Locut0s
11-15-2004, 09:50 PM
Ok I've now installed the patch too. Despite the file name "1.00 to 1.02" it seems to work on 1.01 as well. It does seem to fix the graphics problems. I'm wondering maztec if they didn't just do the same thing you did in the patch, namely just install the original shadder dll over top of the one in 1.01. It sort of makes sense given the quick release of the patch and the fact that they are working on a more ambitious 1.2 patch, also the fact that the dll from all three versions, 1.00-1.02, are the same size down to the last byte.

maztec
11-15-2004, 10:20 PM
:P I thought it funny that the dlls were the same size, heh.

Wonder if the program checks their size or some such.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure they didn't just use my simple patch - it would have been out sooner. Apparently they actually fixed a few other things internally at the same time.

In fact I know they didn't. The v1.01 shader regression still left DoF disabled. :P

jetuserX
11-16-2004, 05:15 PM
dang it.. subtitles still dont work and that still sucks :P

maztec
11-16-2004, 07:00 PM
I believe I said those weren't going to work until v1.2 :P

This was an incremental patch to fix the issues of the 1.01 patch.

Bleh.

Caligo
11-17-2004, 05:29 PM
Since I installed the 1.02 patch: 3 crashes to desktop, 2 blue screens, and 1 more satisfied customer.

Can this patch be regressed like the 1.01, just overwriting the updated files with those from the DVD?

This is getting good. They need to fix the fix to the fix that REALLY fixed the game, leaving Myst fans in a fix worse than the fix they were in before. I guess if it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

maztec
11-17-2004, 06:26 PM
Caligo, yes you can regress it same as the other.

Were you having any particular problems that are fixed by the patch?

Care to share your dxDiag information?

Thanks.

Maz

Caligo
11-18-2004, 10:22 AM
From the technical side, no, but they mention a number of fixes to puzzles I haven't gotten to yet. I wanted to make sure I didn't end up stuck on a broken puzzle that is ACTUALLY impossible to solve. Graphically, the game still looks fine, but after 30 minutes or so, it crashes with the 1.02 patch. I've tried 3 driver sets (ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb) and none have helped. DXDiag tells me I have an out of date file, directx.cpl. Although the control panel shouldn't be an issue, I may reinstall DX just to make sure.

maztec
11-18-2004, 02:36 PM
The puzzles are actually completely possible to solve before the patch. The almost-end Spire puzzle is more difficult and you'll know if you're having troubles with it (namely you won't be able to finish it within the timed sequence) and the Haven puzzle is slightly more difficult (although I still had plenty of time before the patch...) but again you'll know if you're having problems. And a few nVidia configurations and I think P4's have the only actual puzzle bug I know of in the game and that's with that almost to the end Haven puzzle that's timed...

Maz

Caligo
11-18-2004, 05:08 PM
I think I may have found it. My machine locked up on its own twice today. One of my case fans had come unplugged and two had been turned down to their lowest setting. I think it may have been heat. I won't have time to check Myst until tomorrow, but I'll see if that was causing it.

maztec
11-18-2004, 08:02 PM
Hope thbat's the case http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Draco_13
11-19-2004, 12:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Caligo:
This is getting good. They need to fix the fix to the fix that REALLY fixed the game, leaving Myst fans in a fix worse than the fix they were in before. I guess if it ain't broke, fix it till it is. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe this is a new concept of game. The true puzzle to solve is how to be able to play without crashes. The reward once you manage to do it is to enjoy the game.

seinmind
11-20-2004, 06:03 PM
After installing the 1.02 patch, I no longer have access to my camera viewer to see the pictures I took. Anyone else have this problem?

maztec
11-20-2004, 08:04 PM
seinmind.. uhmm, haven't heard of that issue before.

What type of system are you running? Your dxDiag info please?

I'd say definitely send a report into Ubi via their support section.

Maz