PDA

View Full Version : Battle Over Europe add-on: Is it any good?



Schwarz.13
03-16-2008, 05:29 PM
Just learned about this:

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0001Q1XL8.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Is it worth buying?

Schwarz.13
03-16-2008, 05:29 PM
Just learned about this:

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0001Q1XL8.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Is it worth buying?

foxyboy1964
03-16-2008, 05:51 PM
I don't own it Schwarz so I can't really answer your question, but I do know that there is nothing on it that you can't do yourself with the FMB. FMB is the way to go mate, you can tailor each mission to suit the spec of your rig and end up with quite crowded skies and still have a good frame rate. Although I'm sure Battle Over Europe is good fun.

CaptBeyond
03-16-2008, 09:24 PM
Yes! One of the first add-ons and one of the best, particularily for flying Spitfires campaigns into France.

Rick

Feathered_IV
03-16-2008, 10:55 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

Lots of user made expansions for it too through the enjoyr patches.

Billy_BigBoy
03-17-2008, 02:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Feathered_IV:
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

Lots of user made expansions for it too through the enjoyr patches. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

foxyboy1964
03-17-2008, 02:34 AM
Does it have Blue campaigns and is it easy to install?

Feathered_IV
03-17-2008, 03:59 AM
Yes to both.

Personally I'm currently loving the two NachtBomber campaigns for the Stuka. One is in Normandy, the other over the Ardennes. Both are rather beaut. Especially when all those pretty tracers start flying http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

major_setback
03-17-2008, 04:01 AM
I think it's excellent. Plenty of variety is available.

More info:



http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/337...711028114#3711028114 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/3371077114?r=3711028114#3711028114)

major_setback
03-17-2008, 04:10 AM
Screenshots and more info:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/851...881002753#3881002753 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/8511022653?r=3881002753#3881002753)

foxyboy1964
03-17-2008, 04:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Feathered_IV:
Yes to both.

Personally I'm currently loving the two NachtBomber campaigns for the Stuka. One is in Normandy, the other over the Ardennes. Both are rather beaut. Especially when all those pretty tracers start flying http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the info Feathered http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif, I might pick it up myself.

Hey Schwarz, where did you see it? I tried play.com and there's no mention of it.

foxyboy1964
03-17-2008, 04:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by major_setback:
I think it's excellent. Plenty of variety is available.

More info:



http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/337...711028114#3711028114 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/3371077114?r=3711028114#3711028114) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool link Major Setback, cheers.

Edit: Having looked through the screenies etc I have decided it's a "must have" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif Thanks.

c'mon Schwarz, spill the beans, where did you see it? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Metatron_123
03-17-2008, 04:28 AM
So this can work with 1946? Looks interesting. I always thought there was a gap in western campaigns. This seems to fill it.

Schwarz.13
03-17-2008, 04:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by foxyboy1964:
Hey Schwarz, where did you see it? I tried play.com and there's no mention of it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, Play.com was my first port of call too - strange they don't have it.

Try here (http://www.justflight.com/product.asp?pid=16) foxyboy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Think i'll buy it right now before JustFlight are curiously inundated with orders for an old add-on http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Schwarz.13
03-17-2008, 05:22 AM
Can i just install this on top of 4.08 or do i need to reinstall 1946, then BoE, and then the 4.08 patch?

Feathered_IV
03-17-2008, 05:55 AM
Make a backup copy of your Dgen.exe and your Dgen folder first. Other than that, you can just install it straight over the top. Check the readme if in doubt. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Have a lookie here for extra campaigns that can be added once you have BoE onboard:

http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&c=566

http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Knowledge_Base&op=show&kid=196

Schwarz.13
03-17-2008, 06:27 AM
Thanks Feathered_IV http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Now, if only i could afford to take a week off work to get in some serious flying-time http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

major_setback
03-17-2008, 07:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Feathered_IV:
Make a backup copy of your Dgen.exe and your Dgen folder first. Other than that, you can just install it straight over the top. Check the readme if in doubt. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Have a lookie here for extra campaigns that can be added once you have BoE onboard:

http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&c=566

http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Knowledge_Base&op=show&kid=196 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are right about those enjoyr patches. I managed to make campaigs for a Mitchel, Mosquito and Spit IX 25 lbs (the Tempest too, but maybe you can do that without BoE).

foxyboy1964
03-17-2008, 07:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Schwarz.13:

Try here (http://www.justflight.com/product.asp?pid=16) foxyboy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Think i'll buy it right now before JustFlight are curiously inundated with orders for an old add-on http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheers for the link http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif. BTW, they've got a video there, I'm just going to check it out now.

Edit: video won't play, bummer.

major_setback
03-17-2008, 07:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by foxyboy1964:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Schwarz.13:

Try here (http://www.justflight.com/product.asp?pid=16) foxyboy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Think i'll buy it right now before JustFlight are curiously inundated with orders for an old add-on http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheers for the link http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif. BTW, they've got a video there, I'm just going to check it out now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>



http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/major-setback/album%202/boe02.jpg

A totally unpolitically correct screenshot from that link. This is typical of the type of briefing that you get, they really help set the scene and add to the immersion. Even better are the scaldings you get from your boss if you don't do well enough in the mission!! (These seem unfortunately to have had some the messages changed after patching).

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/major-setback/album%202/boe01.jpg

foxyboy1964
03-17-2008, 08:05 AM
Does it really need the patches? I was hoping just to put it on top of 4.08m.

major_setback
03-17-2008, 08:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by foxyboy1964:
Does it really need the patches? I was hoping just to put it on top of 4.08m. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>


I don't think you need them, but they let you make more campaigns with different aircraft. I'm pretty sure you will be ok without them.

major_setback
03-17-2008, 08:43 AM
Screenshots of a misssion over Normandy with BoE:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/major-setback/album%202/grab0000.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/major-setback/album%202/grab0001.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/major-setback/album%202/grab0002.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/major-setback/album%202/grab0003.jpg

major_setback
03-17-2008, 11:41 AM
Info from the BoE developers.

http://rrgstudios.com/EN_02_03_BoE.shtml

Breeze147
03-17-2008, 12:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by major_setback:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by foxyboy1964:
Does it really need the patches? I was hoping just to put it on top of 4.08m. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>


I don't think you need them, but they let you make more campaigns with different aircraft. I'm pretty sure you will be ok without them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

EnjoyR's patches are tremendous. A must have for BOE and Ostfront. More campaigns than you can ever fly in a lifetime.

thefruitbat
03-17-2008, 01:21 PM
BoE's well worth it, plus the patches as well. Not sure if enjoys patches cover, all the extras you get with the patches for BoE.

One thing i will add, when i reinstalled with il2 1946 dvd, and installed BoE again, it asked for my aces expansion disk, which i've got, don't know what happens if you don't have that though....

cheers fruitbat

Billy_BigBoy
03-17-2008, 01:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Breeze147:
More campaigns than you can ever fly in a lifetime. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's my, although comfortable, problem too. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

PapaLazarou.LoG
03-19-2008, 10:12 AM
Blue campaigns are very nice, It's a pleasure to chase huge b17 formations in the stratosphere!

Schwarz.13
03-19-2008, 03:43 PM
Just got home to find BoE sitting on my doormat (that was quick). Going to install it now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Watch this space...

Feathered_IV
03-20-2008, 01:29 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/partyhat.gif

foxyboy1964
03-20-2008, 09:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by thefruitbat:
One thing i will add, when i reinstalled with il2 1946 dvd, and installed BoE again, it asked for my aces expansion disk, which i've got, don't know what happens if you don't have that though....
cheers fruitbat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Handy to know, thanks http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Breeze147
03-20-2008, 10:57 AM
IIRC, it only keeps you from 1 RAF bomber campaign, which you can get back by installing EnjoyR's patch. Do a search on SimHQ, there is a wealth of info on this topic.