PDA

View Full Version : Navigation Issues

huesotravieso
01-21-2007, 06:49 PM
Hi all.
I've been around for some time and everything's quite cool.
Dogfight, ground attack, flying in formation, multiplayer flights.. Everything goes.

I just have one question. While navigating through waypoints with planes such as 109 and corsairs I have a compass which tells me my actual heading and another compass tells me the heading I have to follow to get to my next waypoint. That's all right.

How do you people get to do that with say an I16. It only has a compass but no device gives you the reading to the next waypoint. I just out get my map and go figure out where am I. Do you do it the same way? May be keep asking Ground Control what the vector to target is?

Is that how they did it in real life?
Is that realistic?
By the way, how did mission control know where the planes were on the map?

Thanx a lot for your time!

huesotravieso
01-21-2007, 06:49 PM
Hi all.
I've been around for some time and everything's quite cool.
Dogfight, ground attack, flying in formation, multiplayer flights.. Everything goes.

I just have one question. While navigating through waypoints with planes such as 109 and corsairs I have a compass which tells me my actual heading and another compass tells me the heading I have to follow to get to my next waypoint. That's all right.

How do you people get to do that with say an I16. It only has a compass but no device gives you the reading to the next waypoint. I just out get my map and go figure out where am I. Do you do it the same way? May be keep asking Ground Control what the vector to target is?

Is that how they did it in real life?
Is that realistic?
By the way, how did mission control know where the planes were on the map?

Thanx a lot for your time!

BfHeFwMe
01-21-2007, 09:49 PM
In a nutshell, yeah, it's right. Map and compass.

Many guys here can't get lost any more, you can turn everything off, and with the flight map and compass, they will navigate anywhere to target and back.

Takes time, fly a campaign or several on one map for a while until you pretty much have it memorized, than do another.

In a couple of months you'll develop a sixth sense for exactly where you are. Very rewarding. Wingman and I once flew a Pacific mission in the blind, found the enemy island, bombed the target, and made it home without using the map, and near zero vis most of the way over water. Stuff like that really suspends the disbelief.

Flying_Mex
01-21-2007, 10:23 PM
I used to fly with mini map path on all the time, and then I joined Vultures Row squadron. We fly with only the speedbar on (and outside views enabled so those who are shot down in coops dont have to stare at the pile of smoke for 30 minutes).

At first I could not navigate for anything, however now I rarely get lost, even on maps where I have never played before.

What I fount really helpful is basically just take note of where you start (thats the big thing) and in which general direction you are flying). If you start in a sector called D9, and you are moving straight south and then you get jumped, after 15 mins when the fight is over you will ahve a general sense of where you are (somewhere south of D9). then you can look for a landmark (river/city/forest) around you and try to match it to the map. Also what helps a lot is as you are flying, if you see a river, open your map and try to ID it. Always try to have a sense of where you are going (direction) and if you can get a general position (if you pass a river that makes a U turn with a city inside the U, and you find it on the map, you know abotu where you are, so if you get disoriented you can have a general feeling of where to look for landmarks, rather than to have to look over the whole map).

Just my 2 cents

huesotravieso
01-22-2007, 04:56 AM
Thanx BfHeFwMe & Flying_Mex.
That's the way I do it with my friend (offline Coop mainly) and the other day I felt stupid flying around thring to ID that city with a river around and two bridges over it. So I was just wondering if other ppl did it too. Yes, at first it is horrible but after a while you get used to it. Any way I can get to target and back but I I'm tasked with CAP and have lots of waypoints in a strange pattern there's no way to follow them. At best I can stay in the area at the specified altitude and that's it. And of course mini map path isn't an option. Hardcore of realistic sims here http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Just one question if anyone knows and feels like answering:
I understand there was a mission control or something, with one of those big maps and planes and objectives over it. Does anybody know how they knew where friendly planes were placed on it? Was it radio transmitted, radar detected, did they rely on flight paths and times? What about enemy planes? Radars? Spotting them? Anybody knows? Just wondering.

Talamir
01-24-2007, 04:19 AM
A couple questions about the maps.

What is the scale? (How many kilo's across are grids)

And are all maps the same scale? I did notice some maps are bigger and some smaller, but their grids are the same scale, correct?

AnaK774
01-24-2007, 04:43 AM
grid is 10km

R988z
01-24-2007, 04:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Just one question if anyone knows and feels like answering:
I understand there was a mission control or something, with one of those big maps and planes and objectives over it. Does anybody know how they knew where friendly planes were placed on it? Was it radio transmitted, radar detected, did they rely on flight paths and times? What about enemy planes? Radars? Spotting them? Anybody knows? Just wondering. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe they used Radar for the most part.

Rattler68
01-24-2007, 11:02 AM
That was mainly BoB stuff. Plotting tables, human spotters, etc. For the rest, a mission controller would tell flights who would be working on the left and right of their intended path. If you deviate out of the path of your flight, you can expect to be jumped by the other mission's flights. This is why positive ID was required before opening fire on a target. It's also why many planes were given large white areas of paint to identify them (on the allied side; I am think of the Typhoon) when they were first introduced. Tiffies were mis-ID'd as FW-190's at first, if you can believe that!