PDA

View Full Version : Saitek X65: good to simulate prop warbirds?

Wildnoob
12-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Hi,

That's my doubt. The force sensing is a feature from jets.

DD_crash
12-20-2011, 05:06 AM
I was SO disappointed when it was announced that it was force sensing not force feedback. I am sure that it was some bright spark thinking that this would be cool and new technology instead of giving simmers a choice. I am sure that Saitek could match a FFB stick to the throttle and have a winner.(look at the G940 c*ckup)

Bearcat99
12-20-2011, 04:33 PM
To the OP: For this I'd suggest an X-52 Pro or CH.

Originally posted by DD_crash:
I was SO disappointed when it was announced that it was force sensing not force feedback. I am sure that it was some bright spark thinking that this would be cool and new technology instead of giving simmers a choice. I am sure that Saitek could match a FFB stick to the throttle and have a winner.(look at the G940 c*ckup)

Yeah and it isn't like they didn't have any kind of input.

FFB HOTAS 1 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/2391092814/p/1)
FFB HOTAS 2 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/3401016855/p/1)
FFB HOTAS 3 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/4241044265/p/1)

They just decided to go with some pencil pushing dipwad who probably knows nothing about the genre.. instead of the folks who would have been more than willing to plunk down hard cash for a FFB HOTAS.

Wildnoob
12-21-2011, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:

Thanks for the suggestions Bearcat.

Already heard that a Microsoft FF2 in good condition is worth getting. What are your opinions?

Bearcat99
12-21-2011, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Wildnoob:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bearcat99:

Thanks for the suggestions Bearcat.

Already heard that a Microsoft FF2 in good condition is worth getting. What are your opinions? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You kiddin me? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif
http://file.walagata.com/w/bearcat/100_0750.JPG

I have been using a MSFFB since I started simming and have not looked back.. around '03 I added an X-45 to the mix using the stick as a button bay .. after that died a few years back I got an X-52 (non pro) and a few months back I modded that as well... The MSFFB2 is the best FFB joystick around so far .. at least that I tried. If you can find one get it.

SteamBat
12-23-2011, 05:33 AM
Wildnoob, I've had an X65f for about 18 months now and love it. I fly mainly ROF, CLOD and IL2 - all prop aircraft I might add. It does take a bit of getting used but then so did Track IR when I first got it. I will admit I'm no ace and never have been even with my old X52. Its very solid and fingers crossed will last a lifetime. As for flying prop aircraft its great - barrel rolls are wheeze and the pressure you exert can be adjusted if you find you are stalling too much. The one thing I find a little troublesome is the MG Trigger switch, when pulled you add slight pressure movement to the stick thereby moving off target but otherwise its pretty good. If in doubt I wouldn't buy it as it is expensive, but on that I have no problem with it and love it.

Wildnoob
12-23-2011, 06:43 AM
I want realism because soon I will start my private pilot course.

TipsyTed
12-23-2011, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by SteamBat:
The one thing I find a little troublesome is the MG Trigger switch, when pulled you add slight pressure movement to the stick thereby moving off target but otherwise its pretty good.

Now that's a very good point. Think I'll try and test the gadget thoroughly before bringing one home.

Warrington_Wolf
12-23-2011, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Wildnoob:
I want realism because soon I will start my private pilot course. What aircraft do you intend on flying? Also do you intend to fly as a career or just as a hobby?
I bought the CH flight sim yoke and rudder pedals for my PPL and then later bought the pro thottle and combatstick, but to be honest the areas that I found flight simulators to be vital as study aids, didn't rely on the controller too much.
You will find civvy sims useful for

1. Radio Navigation - My flight instructor knew I was into flight sims and he recommended using FSX to rehearse navaid use and procedures.

2. Emergency Checklists - You can rehearse engine failure or any other mechanical problem for that matter over and over until you can recall the checklist from memory.

3. Navigation procedures - I bought the UK photographic scenery so I could practice lost procedures and general navigation, and I found that rather useful.

4. Land away procedures - For my XC flight I practiced landing at my intended destination, I used yet more addon scenery but it made all the difference, I knew the layout of Sleap, Wolverhampton Halfpenny Green and Blackpool off by heart before I even touched tires there.

IL2 or any other combat sim for that matter does teach you one vital thing, it teaches you to keep your eyes outside the cockpit, and your head on a swivel. This is vital especially if your home airfield is as busy as mine is at weekends and nearing the end of the day.

SteamBat
12-24-2011, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by TipsyTed:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SteamBat:
The one thing I find a little troublesome is the MG Trigger switch, when pulled you add slight pressure movement to the stick thereby moving off target but otherwise its pretty good.

Now that's a very good point. Think I'll try and test the gadget thoroughly before bringing one home. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The way I got round it was to use one of the switches on the throttle which works really well

Wildnoob
12-24-2011, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Warrington_Wolf:
do you intend to fly as a career or just as a hobby?

Carrer. And I want make the glider course before fly in planes.

Thank you for the tips.