PDA

View Full Version : Joystick help

Kahn89
04-19-2009, 01:58 AM
After a few year long haitus I have remembered why I love this game. But I have a problem with my joystick. The sensitivity seems way too low, like I am arm wrestling Hulk Hogan to get a response. I don't remember my joystick being like this. I have tried messing with the sliders but never really found anything that makes it easier on my arm. Anyone have any suggestions?

Kahn89
04-19-2009, 01:58 AM
After a few year long haitus I have remembered why I love this game. But I have a problem with my joystick. The sensitivity seems way too low, like I am arm wrestling Hulk Hogan to get a response. I don't remember my joystick being like this. I have tried messing with the sliders but never really found anything that makes it easier on my arm. Anyone have any suggestions?

jayhall0315
04-19-2009, 02:04 AM
What stick do you have Kahn ? If you are using the Thrustmaster Cougar for example, which has two 18 lb tension springs, you will have a little stiffness in the arm and wrist the first few evenings you use it. You can switch out these springs for ones with a smaller spring coefficient but it will require some modding experience. It sounds to me like your stick is just manufactured with stiff springs. If you know what you are doing, you can go to HomeDepot and replace em easily.

A great program, which will not make your joystick less stiff but which is still very nice for adjusting parameters in IL2 is IL2 JoyControl. Go to mission4today.com -> downloads and you can get it and install it.

Cheers

Kahn89
04-19-2009, 03:10 PM
I am using my old Gravis Eliminator from a few years back. I downloaded IL2 JoyControl but wasn't able to find a setting that really made a difference. Maybe my pathetically weak arms will just have to get a work out.

jayhall0315
04-19-2009, 03:15 PM
Kahn, you may not be up for it, but you can buy a brand new joystick with much lighter springs (like some of the Saitek or Logitech models) for sometimes less than $30 shipped from www.pricegrabber.com (http://www.pricegrabber.com). Rather than taking days to fool with replacing springs and working with something that may already be defective, perhaps look into a nice new mid-range stick.

Cheers - Jay

Kahn89
04-19-2009, 03:16 PM
I may have to do that. Thanks Jay.