PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Ki43

James_031
06-10-2006, 11:24 AM
Help! Can't bale out of my Ki43 in an emergency. Press ALT + E nothing happens and I plunge to my death. Is it a bug in the game?

James_031
06-10-2006, 11:24 AM
Help! Can't bale out of my Ki43 in an emergency. Press ALT + E nothing happens and I plunge to my death. Is it a bug in the game?

VMF-214_HaVoK
06-10-2006, 11:44 AM
I do believe it is Control+E to bail out by default. This could be the problem http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

James_031
06-10-2006, 11:48 AM
Thanks for responding Havok! Have tried Ctrl+E still unable to bale out! Is there something I have to do prior to bale out? Would flipping the plane over on its back help?

horseback
06-10-2006, 12:10 PM
If you check your config file (C:\Program Files\Ubi Soft\IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles\conf should do it on most computers), right at the end, you may see something like this:

[DGen]
NoBadWeather=1
MissionDistance=75
RandomFlights=0
MaxFLAK=100

AirIntensity=Low
GroundIntensity=Low
Maxbomberskill=0

;UseParachutes

That last line must be there for Japanese aircraft to be parachuted from by the player or ai.

cheers

horseback

leitmotiv
06-10-2006, 12:38 PM
Very interesting, horseback. I've never had trouble jumping from Japanese aircraft. Are the Japanese supposed to not have this capability by default?

VW-IceFire
06-10-2006, 12:55 PM
If its a campaign mission and its in 1942 then they had no parachutes. Fight to the death. It was unthinkable that a Japanese pilot would be placed in a situation where he had to abandon his plane. Things changed later.

Sillius_Sodus
06-10-2006, 01:10 PM
From what I've read Japanese pilots were issued with parachutes and were encouraged to use them but many felt that they resticted their movements in the cockpit too much so they had them in their aircraft but did not stap them on.

I'm trying to recall exactly where I read about it, I believe it was an interview with a Japanese veteran I read around fifteen years ago.

Good Hunting,
Sillius_Sodus

horseback
06-10-2006, 01:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by leitmotiv:
Very interesting, horseback. I've never had trouble jumping from Japanese aircraft. Are the Japanese supposed to not have this capability by default? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't remember exactly, but it may have been an option when installing/merging Pacific Fighters. I have the distinct impression that it can be added directly to the config or from within the game in some fashion...

cheers

horseback

Jumoschlong
06-10-2006, 02:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James_031:
Help! Can't bale out of my Ki43 in an emergency. Press ALT + E nothing happens and I plunge to my death. Is it a bug in the game? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I knew a Japanese girl named Katy, who was a 43Double Dee, her father came home and I had to do an emergency bail out her bedroom window and I plunged into some hedges and ate some bugs...does this help?

Jumo*******

JG53Frankyboy
06-10-2006, 04:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
If its a campaign mission and its in 1942 then they had no parachutes. ............ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that may be correct for the Navy , but not for the Army.

James_031
06-11-2006, 08:21 AM
Thanks to everyone for their help! I guess i'll have to improve my flying skills so I don't end up dying for the emperor so often in Malaya '42 campaign.

HotelBushranger
06-15-2006, 12:49 AM
Mate if you're in a Ki-43 and in a scrap, just pull on the stick http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Nothing can out turn you!

Skeet2005
06-15-2006, 05:55 AM
I have a different problem with the KI-43, it flies so nice, and indeed I can turn inside anything... but I usually run out of ammo before I can get a Corsair or Hellcat to go down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dtools4fools
06-15-2006, 07:03 AM
Skeet,

You only got two puny little guns. So close in, and if you feel you are close enouigh, then close in closer. Make each shoot count.
I usually set convergence for my Ki-43 at 100m (in other planes I use 150m). Earliest I shoot in a Ki-43 is 150m, but often shooting distance is between 50-100m...
And still it takes lots of bullets to bring opponent down. Try not to shoot from dead 6, but from angle instead where you can hit engine and cockpit. From dead six pilot is protected by armor plate, you small buzllets won't do much damage.

In the full misssion builder there is a box you can check for "use parachutes" in the bobject "bases" options. Might this setting be the one which influences if pilots can bail out or not?

Saburo Sakai mentions in his book that somewhen when they were fighting in Lae they were ordered by their commanding officer to take the chutes with them. Before obviously it was up to the pilot and many did not bring them along for reasons already mentioned above.
Once losses started going up and replacement pilots were few, obviously orders to bring chutes were issued.

vocatx
06-16-2006, 11:49 AM
Skeet, you can set either the Corsair or the Hellcat on fire with just the .30 on an Oscar. Aim just ahead of the cockpit. There are fuel and oil tanks there. They will burn happily with a few well directed hits.

tigertalon
06-16-2006, 03:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by vocatx:
Skeet, you can set either the Corsair or the Hellcat on fire with just the .30 on an Oscar. Aim just ahead of the cockpit. There are fuel and oil tanks there. They will burn happily with a few well directed hits. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or, since it's very hard to hit the area infront of the cockpit from dead six, you can also try to shoot wingroots and internal sections of wings, they flame up nicely. However, its a tiny target to hit.

gthgrrl4game
06-18-2006, 05:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tigertalon:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by vocatx:
Skeet, you can set either the Corsair or the Hellcat on fire with just the .30 on an Oscar. Aim just ahead of the cockpit. There are fuel and oil tanks there. They will burn happily with a few well directed hits. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or, since it's very hard to hit the area infront of the cockpit from dead six, you can also try to shoot wingroots and internal sections of wings, they flame up nicely. However, its a tiny target to hit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As mentioned by prior poster, get close.
REAL close.
Practicing deflection shooting helps a bunch.
Hayabusa is a Joy to fly.
It can even outturn I-153!!!
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif

tigertalon
06-18-2006, 07:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gthgrrl4game:
Hayabusa is a Joy to fly.
It can even outturn I-153!!!
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

W00t?!? Gotta try!

Nimits
06-18-2006, 08:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
If its a campaign mission and its in 1942 then they had no parachutes. Fight to the death. It was unthinkable that a Japanese pilot would be placed in a situation where he had to abandon his plane. Things changed later. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, they could and did bail out, though, when in trouble over enemy territory, they tended to stick with the plane until mission was accomplished and they were over friendly territory or a likely enemy target . . . They would many times try to continue a mission even when seriously damaged and would not allow themselves to be captured, but there was no particular dishoner in abandoning an inoperative aircraft once the missions target had been attacked.

leitmotiv
06-18-2006, 08:49 PM
Skeet2005, don't shortchange yourself. By the time the Corsair and Hellcat were in the fight the Ki-43 I had the two 12.7s (the Ic in the game), and, in the case of the latter, most were the more powerful Ki-43 IIs, which, I believe, we're getting this week in "Manchuria." Thanks for the great tips, vacatx and tigertalon, I never thought of going for the fuel tanks, esp the huge tanks ahead of the cockpits---diabolical!

gthgrrl4game
06-19-2006, 09:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by leitmotiv:
Skeet2005, don't shortchange yourself. By the time the Corsair and Hellcat were in the fight the Ki-43 I had the two 12.7s (the Ic in the game), and, in the case of the latter, most were the more powerful Ki-43 IIs, which, I believe, we're getting this week in "Manchuria." Thanks for the great tips, vacatx and tigertalon, I never thought of going for the fuel tanks, esp the huge tanks ahead of the cockpits---diabolical! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Manchuria?
Are we getting Ki-27's in this as well?
The later Hayabusa turn worse and are only a bit faster http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
But I am not complaining. Any Hayabusa model outturns almost any plane in this game http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

JG53Frankyboy
06-19-2006, 07:40 PM
il10/Manchuria AdOn (4.06)

flyable:
J2M5
N1K2-J
Ki-43-II
Ki-43-IIKai
Ki-27a
Ki-27b
A-20C
IL-10

AI planes:
A5M4
B6N2
Ki-21-I
Ki-21-II

Maps:
Burma
Wladiwostok
Kalchin-Ghol/Nomonhan

and i doubt it will be released this week http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
propably it will go GOLD , yes, but the release......................... ??!!??

anyway, we will see

leitmotiv
06-19-2006, 09:16 PM
I'm delighted by the cast of characters!