PDA

View Full Version : Escape maneuvers in a 190

Wannabe-Pilot
04-29-2005, 11:30 AM
How can AI planes stay on my six when I put my planes in a series of maneuvers that they clearly shouldn't be able to follow?
Let me give you an example. I was in a FW-190 A6, and two Soviet planes were on my six (La5FNs). I split S and dive for the deck eventually leveling out at 700 kp/h, full throttle, WEP engaged. I look back and they€re still with me. At this point I turn on the icons to watch the separation. Incredibly, they manage to close the gap fr0m 400 m to 300. All the time we€re in 650+ land.

So how can these La-5fns endure a split s with 700+ speeds and stay with me in a flat out run?
This is just the recent example there are many more with even crappier Soviet planes that shouldn't be able to hold 600 kph, let alone 700 without vibrating heavily and without complete controls lockup. I'm running out of options when attacked. Whatever I do i can't shake them, unless in a vastly superior 190 model with at least 50 kph advantage. It's also very difficult to loose them by disapperaing from their view. In RL, if a Fw-190 was engaged the pilot would roll in one direction start to turn and then suddenly reverse and no plane could catch up. In game, against AI, that doesn't work. It's like they have x-ray vision. I can clearly see them, rolling in the opposite direction for a while, then lazily correcting and reaquring me in their sights. And although I have a build up speed of 500+ by that point, they always catch up. Even though their planes should perform miserably at that speeds.

What can I do? Is this simply the restriction we have to live with when playing against AI?

Wannabe-Pilot
04-29-2005, 11:30 AM
How can AI planes stay on my six when I put my planes in a series of maneuvers that they clearly shouldn't be able to follow?
Let me give you an example. I was in a FW-190 A6, and two Soviet planes were on my six (La5FNs). I split S and dive for the deck eventually leveling out at 700 kp/h, full throttle, WEP engaged. I look back and they€re still with me. At this point I turn on the icons to watch the separation. Incredibly, they manage to close the gap fr0m 400 m to 300. All the time we€re in 650+ land.

So how can these La-5fns endure a split s with 700+ speeds and stay with me in a flat out run?
This is just the recent example there are many more with even crappier Soviet planes that shouldn't be able to hold 600 kph, let alone 700 without vibrating heavily and without complete controls lockup. I'm running out of options when attacked. Whatever I do i can't shake them, unless in a vastly superior 190 model with at least 50 kph advantage. It's also very difficult to loose them by disapperaing from their view. In RL, if a Fw-190 was engaged the pilot would roll in one direction start to turn and then suddenly reverse and no plane could catch up. In game, against AI, that doesn't work. It's like they have x-ray vision. I can clearly see them, rolling in the opposite direction for a while, then lazily correcting and reaquring me in their sights. And although I have a build up speed of 500+ by that point, they always catch up. Even though their planes should perform miserably at that speeds.

What can I do? Is this simply the restriction we have to live with when playing against AI?

BuzzU
04-29-2005, 12:07 PM
The AI cheat. Be sure.

jessi1
04-29-2005, 12:12 PM
Yup, the ai is simply porked, try the spit AI, they fly past you at 350 and stop with amazing brakes and then catch up to you with even more speed after youve climbed a 1000 meters, i try to never play offline you will not get any better playing against unrealistic AI. Its a shame the game is so good online, but when you fly offline its a totally different. Sorry for those that dont have high speed to play online, cause its a real shame and really frustrating.

Wannabe-Pilot
04-29-2005, 12:31 PM
So the solution is to play online. Cr@p I was afraid that might be it...
I have a high end computer but only a really crappy dial-up. Can I play online with just a dial up? I know a lot of people complain about lag. I never play online, not this nor any other game because of bad connection. Am I missing alot?

I have to say that the campaign has always been a disappointment for me. I never had the feeling I was really in the midst of ww2, just a series of bland missions, annoying music that I always turn off, no authentic period photos, no footage, no nothing. I remember in the EAW, the campaign menu was set up so that it looks like a command post, and you would proceed prior a mission to a 'hangar'. Such a simple device yet it added imeasurebly to immersion. Also, when you fly a mission, you always have a predetermined path, and no plane will leave it. Stupid, especially if you play as higher ranking officer wouldn't it make sense that you could then map your own path to the target, and order planes in the air on patrols at will to cut down the opposing fighters before the main attack? And especially annoying is a bombing run, and then one stupid recce plane appears and all of your jabos drop their ordinance and start chasing a stupid little biplane... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif So disappointing...

Atomic_Marten
04-29-2005, 12:32 PM
Yea. They are porked big time. My advice to you. TURN with them. You in FW190 they in LA5s. Doesn't matter. Just turn, 'till deck if needed, you will eventually outturn them, just because they will give up on turning eventually. Skill level is unimportant.

So much for A intelligence.http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Any manoeuver that normally works online vs. humans will maybe turn out to be death trap vs. AI because they will never black out, they will always manage to slow down in time&fill you with lead from point blank range etc.

But then again, you can not beat 16 humans online, and I have managed to do that in QMB with Spitfire vs. ACE K4s. They aren't even *near* to good online pilot. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Atomic_Marten
04-29-2005, 12:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wannabe-Pilot:
So the solution is to play online. Cr@p I was afraid that might be it...
I have a high end computer but only a really crappy dial-up. Can I play online with just a dial up? I know a lot of people complain about lag. I never play online, not this nor any other game because of bad connection. Am I missing alot?

I have to say that the campaign has always been a disappointment for me. I never had the feeling I was really in the midst of ww2, just a series of bland missions, annoying music that I always turn off, no authentic period photos, no footage, no nothing. I remember in the EAW, the campaign menu was set up so that it looks like a command post, and you would proceed prior a mission to a 'hangar'. Such a simple device yet it added imeasurebly to immersion. Also, when you fly a mission, you always have a predetermined path, and no plane will leave it. Stupid, especially if you play as higher ranking officer wouldn't it make sense that you could then map your own path to the target, and order planes in the air on patrols at will to cut down the opposing fighters before the main attack? And especially annoying is a bombing run, and then one stupid recce plane appears and all of your jabos drop their ordinance and start chasing a stupid little biplane... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif So disappointing... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The campaign (carrer) mode is Achilles heel of IL-2 game. For game of this calibre, many would expect really candy-eye (READ: immersion boost) screens, intros etc. But you will not get that from IL-2. It is simply the most hardcore flyin' sim outhere.

Take for instance CFS2 (or CFS1 if you want); that game had a comic style interface, but IMO very interesting and innovative. Aside that it was average game (actually very good, if seen from that time perspective).

It would be enough some simple screen (like from B-17) and few other face lifted stuff to add new dimension to game. I bet that BoB will feature some of this..

About online; I have just recently get myself DSL.. don't be lazy -- go to nearest HT Center and get yourself high speed connection, it costs only 1kn. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif It is un-comparable difference, 56k v. DSL. I have taken 2GB packet with lowest speed.(will cost me monthly ~140kn).
And yes, you can play online with 56k, just be prepared to be kicked from time to time due to high ping. I have played (more or less succesfully) online with 56k and Celeron 1GhZ 256MB RAM... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif it is doable.

Atomic_Marten
04-29-2005, 01:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I never play online, not this nor any other game because of bad connection. Am I missing alot? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, now I can tell you that you do not miss a lot. But that is just IMHO. Why? I'm sick of various kinds of sheite online.. on few my recent online tracks, I have yesterday playing some of them, and I have discovered some so digusting stuff that I really don't see the point of further playing (it was interesting for quite time, but now I have run outta nerves).

Some of 'ingenious' moves;
1. friendly a/c shoots on the enemy a/c that I have de-winged;
2. I have taken blow (and died) from friendly a/c because he was shooting over my shoulder (in few occasions I have actually DISENGAGED because friendly tracers were so dense from all sides around my aircraft -- would be just a matter of time b4 I fell victim to friendly fire, just because I was closest to enemy a/c);
3. half and hour argue between me and the other guy that I have unintentionally rammed.(comments like: nice. nice ram. learn to fly. other time try guns. i prefer to live.. and similar BS). I have replied him 'Sorry' but he didn't stop there. I guess that he was pretty mad because I have $crewed his precious stat.

I can't remember other 'nice' events that I have experienced online, but you got the picture. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

OldMan____
04-29-2005, 01:31 PM
Just a contribution. If they are behind you.. roll on your back.. dive STARIGHT down till very end.. apply combat flaps and make a VERY hard.. last instant level pull up into THEIR direction...

AI WONT try to follow this maneuver.. it will end the maneuver a little bit above you flying in an orthogonal path to yours.

Fortunately that is sometimes also true against humans.