PDA

View Full Version : VICTORY at SEA

Chuck_Older
12-25-2004, 02:24 PM
I got the complete series of <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">Victory at Sea</span> on DVD for Christmas

Run, do not walk, out and get it

Complaints have been registered about audio quality. Bear in mind this was made in 1952 and audio standards were not the same then.

I just watched the first three installments, and the one and only audio trouble I heard was that Peter Graves was a bit too far from the boom mike when he began the intro- no audio misshaps during the actual installment of Victory at Sea (Graves does a contemporary intro to each segment)

As far as I can tell, the complaints about audio quality have been lodged by folks who think that Dolby Digital and 24 track recordings are Neanderthal Age technology. This couldn't have sounded better in 1952.

The series is not, strictly speaking, 100% accurate, and is a bit jingoistic

Still well worth having for the footage alone. Over 11 hours is in the series http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

MGBMike
12-25-2004, 03:19 PM
I and my fellow shipmates used to watch them and put it down as "training" when I was in the Navy (circa late 60's). Good films. May pick them up myself.

GR142-Pipper
12-25-2004, 04:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
As far as I can tell, the complaints about audio quality have been lodged by folks who think that Dolby Digital and 24 track recordings are Neanderthal Age technology. This couldn't have sounded better in 1952. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed. I love it too. By the way and speaking of audio, there are two Victory at Sea sound track CDs available. The composer is the well known Richard Rogers. The music is awesome.

GR142-Pipper

Fliegeroffizier
12-25-2004, 10:28 PM
I watched all of the Victory at Sea episodes when they were Originally Broadcast in early 1950's!!!! I had the original album of the soundtracks(s)...Album, as in 33RPM vinyl disc!!!

"Victory at Sea" was a driving force in my Life, now that I look back upon it...it got me hooked on the military, WWII, etc...well, VictoryatSea and my two 18 year-old uncles who both enlisted in the Army on Dec 8th 1941... So I did my 28Years in the USAF as a result...

When I fly in FB/PF(especially PF), and when I choose to have music, I play ONLY Victory at Sea music....NOTHING else works for me!

Here's a link to download a ten minute "overture" sampling the various "themes" of the music....
Victory-at-Sea (http://members.cox.net/wasaf2004/symphonic_scenario.WAV)

By the Way, when the TV series was put together from WWII documentary/combat footage, the orchestra played Live and the composers Wrote/Conducted the music specifically to match the action they were seeing on the screen!! When I Hear various excerpts from "Victory at Sea", I can Visualize the action....

Now,with Pacific Fighters, that music is Always in my head as I fly!

P.S. Drop This file into your FB/Samples Folder....NOT into the music folders under it, Straight Into the "Samples" Folder. Next time you land on a carrier, you will hear and "Feel" Victory at Sea!! I Love hearing it at the end of a mission, when/IF I land successfully!
Victory-at-Sea Carrier Landing (http://members.cox.net/wasaf2004/tow_01.WAV)

Chivas
12-26-2004, 02:53 AM
yep...used to get up real early every sunday morning to watch the broadcasts. Had to be the late fifties, not sure now, can't remember, lol.

MO_JOJO
12-26-2004, 03:46 AM
Ah yes, the NBC Orchestra! I used to watch this show on Saturdays on PBS from time-to-time. I must put this on my rental wish list.

FYI, for all those who are interested in this sort of thing, Walmart.com and netflix.com have a great selection of war movies and documentaries to choose from that the local store cannot match. If you haven't yet browsed their selection, you should sometime. Walmart has a dedicated "War" section, whereas Netflix has theirs mixed in with "Action and Adventure".

Hope that is useful to someone out there.

stanner1935
12-27-2004, 05:06 PM
Do not understand what you meant by saying that the series of Victory at Sea was "not 100% accurate." What was inaccurate?

Chuck_Older
12-28-2004, 06:59 AM
Inaccurate:

things like saying "Germany's U-boat production increased 1000 per cent"

Also, they were showing Dauntlesses with Hinomarus doing dive bombing runs. There was the Bf 109 crash used when describing a Pacific action, too

stanner1935
12-28-2004, 12:20 PM
1000% increase is a 10 fold increase. Why is this not possible? It depends on the time period involved.
What is so wrong with a Dauntless doing a bomb run?
Are you certain you saw an ME 109?
Victory At Sea is all war film archived. Any inaccuracies would have to be in the commentary to the film.
I saw the series many years ago, and never noticed such a series of inaccuracies so as to label the total product as inaccurate.