PDA

View Full Version : Cellular modems for playing online?

Crash_Moses
07-02-2007, 02:47 PM
Anybody use a cellular modem to fly on-line?

I'm stuck out in the country with no chance anytime soon of getting cable or DSL. Satellite is right out. The boss let me get a Kyocera Passport 650 for my laptop to keep up with some international projects while I'm on vacation and...it works awesome!!!! Even sitting in my basement I'm downloading at 70kbs which is a far cry from dialup.

Loaded Hyperlobby on the 'ol laptop and I'm seeing pings of around 200 solid. Not great but playable. Installed '46 (briefly) on the laptop and happily buzzed around Zeke vs. Wildcat for about nine minutes before I started getting virtual memory errors (laptop issue I'm sure).

Question I have is...If I go out and get either the D-link mobile router or Linksys version for use with this card...am I still going to be able to play on-line? I asked around our ISD department and several fellers use this setup for gaming but, of course, none of them are into WWII flight sims (dang kids...). I don' wanna shell out $300 up front and then $60 a month if I can't wing around in 'ol Bessy.

Anybody have any experience with this, good or bad?

Crash_Moses
07-02-2007, 02:47 PM
Anybody use a cellular modem to fly on-line?

I'm stuck out in the country with no chance anytime soon of getting cable or DSL. Satellite is right out. The boss let me get a Kyocera Passport 650 for my laptop to keep up with some international projects while I'm on vacation and...it works awesome!!!! Even sitting in my basement I'm downloading at 70kbs which is a far cry from dialup.

Loaded Hyperlobby on the 'ol laptop and I'm seeing pings of around 200 solid. Not great but playable. Installed '46 (briefly) on the laptop and happily buzzed around Zeke vs. Wildcat for about nine minutes before I started getting virtual memory errors (laptop issue I'm sure).

Question I have is...If I go out and get either the D-link mobile router or Linksys version for use with this card...am I still going to be able to play on-line? I asked around our ISD department and several fellers use this setup for gaming but, of course, none of them are into WWII flight sims (dang kids...). I don' wanna shell out $300 up front and then $60 a month if I can't wing around in 'ol Bessy.

Anybody have any experience with this, good or bad?

mortoma
07-02-2007, 03:45 PM
I always try stuff like that and if it doesn't work, I simply repackage it and take it back to the store. They can't refuse to refund your money if you are dissatified with the performance. And especially not if it fails to work at all!! Just take it all back and cancel the monthly service too. If in doubt, can't hurt to try it out. Hey, that rhymes!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

R_Target
07-02-2007, 03:50 PM
That's not a bad ping. Hughesnet is usually 700-2000, so gaming is out of the question for me. I might have to look into this myself.

Crash_Moses
07-02-2007, 04:20 PM
Roger that, Mortoma...hehe. Thought already crossed my mind. Of course, I buy everything on-line but...just wanted to check out the feasibility first.

R_Target...the gents I spoke to in our IT Tech department are devoted gamers and they say they're very happy with how it works. They all do the MMRPG thing though. A 200 ms ping seems to be the general concensus.

Like I said, I flew around ZvW with about thirty other folks and it worked great...until the laptop started acting up. Just trying (dare I say hoping?) for a yay or a nay. As in, "Yes! I use this all the time...it works great!" or "Don't do it! You'll run into XYZ issues!"

S!

Crash_Moses
07-02-2007, 07:23 PM
hehe...bumped up the virtual memory on the laptop and flew around ZvW for about 45 minutes. Not a hiccup and ping was steady. Still not quite convinced yet...

Hmm...gonna hafta try out teamspeak.

Now...how do I sneak it past my wife?

Copperhead310th
07-02-2007, 07:34 PM
easy.
1 of 2 ways.
Give here a 100 b ucks and tell her to go get dolled up for dinner.
2 give her 250 pray to God theres a wall-mart or shoe store nearby & tell her to go shop till she drops. lol

Crash_Moses
07-02-2007, 07:41 PM
lol...nah...bribes don't work anymore.

I'm thinking order it on Amazon and have it shipped to work. Then feign ignorance when it shows up on the bank statement.

Yeah, that's the ticket...yeah...

Crash_Moses
07-02-2007, 09:21 PM
bedtime bump