PDA

View Full Version : I'm about done here.

ElAurens
11-04-2004, 05:36 AM
I've almost reached my limit of patience with PF and the constant crashes, freezes, and blue screens I've gotten since installing this public BETA.

Something is really amiss here, and it's NOT my computer. I can run any other game at max graphic settings with no problems of any kind,and play them for hours at a time. But PF crashes my machine in the blink of an eye.

Something has to be done about this, or I'm out.

Life is too short for this.

sapre
11-04-2004, 05:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ElAurens:
I've almost reached my limit of patience with PF and the constant crashes, freezes, and blue screens I've gotten since installing this _public BETA_.

Something is really amiss here, and it's NOT my computer. I can run _any_ other game at max graphic settings with no problems of any kind,and play them for hours at a time. But PF crashes my machine in the blink of an eye.

Life is too short for this. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sadly, it seems the problem is with your computer.
Because I've been playing PF for 1week, And it only freezed 2 times in my computer.

Hunter82
11-04-2004, 06:17 AM
El give me a call late Friday afternoon at my place if you can. I'll try and walk you through a few things. I'll be tied up today and Monday I have MS training so I'll be unavailble except on Friday late afternoon.

TgD Thunderbolt56
11-04-2004, 06:20 AM
It's NOT his computer. The people having problems are far and away too large a number to discount them so easily.

I've been able to play a few missions in single player but not without consistent freezes and lockups. When I'm able to fly for more than 10 minutes without them I feel fortunate.

For that reason, I've chosen to leave it on an isolated HD as a stand-alone install so as not to corrupt my FB:AEP install which runs quite well.

I'm not upset though. I have ultimate confidence that this will be resolved adequately in a reasonable timeframe. It just makes it difficult at times to find a game as most onliners are already running the add-on install.

TB

NorrisMcWhirter
11-04-2004, 06:22 AM
Hi,

^
I disagree. I've had 4 crashes to desktop now in the week and a half I've had PF. I think I'd had 1 (maybe 2) CTDs in all the time I was flying Il-2 or FB/AEP before that.

You're not alone, ElAurens; there are a lot of people reporting problems.

I'd at least give it until the patch is out (some info on this tomorrow, apparently) before ditching it but I can understand your frustration.

Cheers,
Norris

clint-ruin
11-04-2004, 06:28 AM
No problems here either. PF does push systems much harder than FBAEP did for the same amount of planes/detail level though. Are you overclocking? I don't mean to offend by asking, but I know here with my machine there are a few games - sometimes quite surprising ones - that just can't handle any overclocking of any component.

Would you believe the Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 demo seems to be the most GPU intensive game I have? Doom 3 loves high overclocks but it just won't go near the coasters with them bumped up.

Hunter82
11-04-2004, 06:38 AM
Yeah roller coaster is a killer lol. Everquest too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by clint-ruin:
No problems here either. PF does push systems much harder than FBAEP did for the same amount of planes/detail level though. Are you overclocking? I don't mean to offend by asking, but I know here with my machine there are a few games - sometimes quite surprising ones - that just can't handle any overclocking of any component.

Would you believe the Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 demo seems to be the most GPU intensive game I have? Doom 3 loves high overclocks but it just won't go near the coasters with them bumped up. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

CHDT
11-04-2004, 06:40 AM
Me too.

AEP in "perfect", np.
PF in "perfect", slow and ugly.

On the same config on which DoomIII runs at the max without problem.

clint-ruin
11-04-2004, 06:49 AM
I don't think it's any secret that the Il2 engine is now pretty long in the tooth. It can still look very good when it wants to, and the landscape lighting is very well done. It's woefully inefficient compared to most modern renderers though, in terms of what it draws poly/texture/scene/frame wise for the performance it gets. The good news is - they've got the new engine coming out sometime next year. The bad news is that while I'm sure that some optimisations remain to be made, I would reign in expectations of just how much better performance you might get out of any patch for PF. Really. It's an old, old engine, and I think most of what can be squeezed out of it already has been.

NegativeGee
11-04-2004, 06:56 AM
We all seem to have different experiences of PF.... I have not had it crash once since I got it 2 weeks ago. Then again I don't think I can recall any IL-2 crashing on my PC ever.

Seems that PF is not very stable on certain users set-ups, but is fine for some. Confusing http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Hunter82
11-04-2004, 06:57 AM
Performance wise on my systems and any installs I have done I have not seen the crashing or slow performance people are reporting....with that said that does not mean it's not happening.

I'm installing it on a 3.2C, X800 Pro, 1 GB Corsair XMS 3500, ASUS P4C800E Deluxe system tonight and will test again and see what's happening. I'll also try a TI4600 this weekend and possibly a 6800 GT if I get time....maybe I'll do the GT first since many seem to be having issues with these cards.

I will tell you right now... PF is very touchy if you are overclocking cards or systems, even tight memory timings can set it off.

Heat on the 6800 series has been a problem.. I have said this before and been flamed so I stopped saying to those with problems as a possible cause... I'm a fanboi so I'm told lol

I still can't get over getting flamed by people when you are trying to help them lol

I guess it boils down to no sense being a jerk if you don't show it,just wasted talent thenhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Hunter82
11-04-2004, 06:58 AM
A...give me a call Friday afternoon also sometime after 4PM EST

clint-ruin
11-04-2004, 07:02 AM
The other thing worth trying - for perfect mode - is forcing PS/VS 1.1 with ATITool. The "perfect" renderer has 1.1, 1.4b, 2.0 and 3.0 modes. You might be able to find you can force it to the nvidia style by downgrading to the GF3/4 style "perfect" mode.

Worth a go.

Equilizer
11-04-2004, 07:13 AM
It may make sense to post and compare system settings here to identify potential problems.

I recently reformatted my system and began from scratch. I also uninstalled and re-installed FB, then AEP, then the two patches, then PF when I got PF. Prior to uninstalling and reinstalling FB+AEP, I had installed PF into the program... it was VERY slow and performance was poor. After uninstalling and reinstalling FB+AEP+PF, performance was much better.

My system:
ATI 9800 Pro (Core/Memory 478/498) DNA 4.10 drivers.
AMD Athlon XP 2600+ (333Mhz FSB, 512L2 Cache, 1.9Ghz)
1GB PC2700 DDR SDRAM
SB Audigy LS
MSI KT4AV-L
Windows XP (no service packs)
DirectX 9.0c

I've had zero performance issues with FB+AEP+PF, except for on dogfight servers... but that is due to something other than my system.

I run Perfect mode, 1024x768 32bit, S3TC enabled, maximum graphic options in game. Effects=1 and water =1.

crazyivan1970
11-04-2004, 09:05 AM
I was trying to help EL for sometime, but i guess my knowledge is not enough to solve this problem. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I have high hopes for Hunter, you in the good hands EL, hang in there.

I have not had a single crash or CTD with PF retail, i did have few on beta tho, but that was addressed in final release. I am running it on perfect 1280x960x32 4AA, 8AF qual/qual vsync-off using settings that Hunter posted in tech forum and it runs like a champ. Getting from 30-155 fps. And my system is not ALL THAT, rather outdated.

ASUS A7N8X Deluxe rev1.06
AMD XP2800 @2.357 ghz 410FSB
1GB Corsair PC2700 LLPT (6,3,3,2.5) @410mhz
ATI 9800XT 256MB @445/391mhz
SB Audilgy2
WinXP SP2
Liquid cooled

So as you see, nothing spectacular. Maybe i am just the lucky one.

Anyways, hang in there EL and other guys, each problem comes down to its resloution.

Equilizer
11-04-2004, 09:10 AM
I also tried replacing the bin and lib folders with the Sun JAVA files (1.6 I think) that were posted here to increase performance. That caused a memory leak, and it also introduced a brief pause every 30 seconds or so. I went back to the original bin and lib folders, and it works fine.

Takata_
11-04-2004, 09:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ElAurens:
I've almost reached my limit of patience with PF and the constant crashes, freezes, and blue screens I've gotten since installing this _public BETA_.

Something is really amiss here, and it's NOT my computer. I can run _any_ other game at max graphic settings with no problems of any kind,and play them for hours at a time. But PF crashes my machine in the blink of an eye.

Life is too short for this. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm running Pacific Fighters from the 21st October. Now it's 4th November.

I spent an average 4-5 hrs a day trying to tweak my settings and get PF running smooth online with my computer :

AMD 3000+
A7N8X with onboard sound
1 Go DDR 3200
Asus FX 5900

Offline game may be ok, but nothing challenging out of the box.

I give up with PF. I'll try the patch when it will be released, but I feel too frustrated at the moment to take any fun with this product.

Takata

crazyivan1970
11-04-2004, 09:21 AM
Takata, lockups and stutter online is not your end. If it works fine offline, leave it at that. Trust me on this one. Just check out other servers

BSS_Vidar
11-04-2004, 09:26 AM
Although my system has not flat out crashed, I have had very bad stutters and extended freeze-ups during on-line play, particulary when someone crashes, shoots, AAA being the worst. I have my graphics set up on Excellent and the Open GL is set to default (I can't get the OpenGL inhancements to work anyway). Probabaly a good thing till these issues get resolved.

LOMAC runs better than this at full real.

Asus A7N8X-E Delux Mb 400MHz FBS
Athlon 2600+ XP Barton 1.9G
Asus ATI 9800Pro 256MB/256 bit
1G Corsair DDR RAM
SB Audigy Gamer 24 bit sound
Comcast cable

NorrisMcWhirter
11-04-2004, 09:51 AM
Hi,

@ Hunter...

With respect to my crashing, I did install the "readme recommended" Nvidia drivers as opposed to 45.23 which I've always retained because they were previously recommended.

Just to complicate matters, I re-installed the 44.03 drivers which I used to use before 45.23 (which used to be marginally faster than the 45.23 and which were just as stable) just to see what would happen and I've seen no CTDs in this short time.

I'd like to be able to say that I had the CTDs at a particular point in time but they all occurred after I'd been in flight for several minutes....but not upon any particular event that I could see.

Cheers,
Norris

Jester_159th
11-04-2004, 10:57 AM
I'm another who's been lucky enough not to have a single CTD or freeze since I got the game (Day it was released in the UK).

My system specs:

P4 2.4gig
1gig PC2700 SDRAM (generic)
9800Pro (Omega drivers 2.5.67)
AC97 on board sound (Well, we can't have everything can we?)

I installed PF over FB+AEP. I have no other 3rd party mods or skins installed. I run PF on perfect mode at 1024x768 32bit resolution. And the only thing I've tweaked in the .ini file was to enable 3d gunners and then turn them off due to FPS hit.

I hope you guys with these problems manage to find a solution. Good luck!!

EDIT: The only problem I've had is that if I run PF at a resolution above 1024x768 32bit, on exiting the game (ie return to desktop) I get a corrupted display that can only be cleared by a hard reboot. I tried Coastie's suggestions but unfortunately without success.

goshikisen
11-04-2004, 11:03 AM
I haven't had any problems with CTD and I've been running it for a week or so. I think I had a 2 hour stretch last night and everything was fine.

El Aurens, your computer is relatively current? It must be if you can run other recent releases with no problems. I wonder what could be causing your problems?

geetarman
11-04-2004, 11:10 AM
Hunter - FWIW - I have a 6800GT and followed your advice on heating and power supply issues. Since then, PF has run pretty well on and off-line.

I got your back buddy! Thanks for your assistance

RedDeth
11-04-2004, 11:12 AM
every day that i host a server i come home and my game is crashed. after several hours it always crashes with PF.

never happened with FB

BlitzPig_Frat
11-04-2004, 11:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RedDeth:
every day that i host a server i come home and my game is crashed. after several hours it always crashes with PF.

never happened with FB <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What map you using on your server RD', and have you tried any others long-term?

ElAurens
11-04-2004, 11:25 AM
My system:

ABIT IC7 mobo

Intel P4C 800fsb 3gig, running @ 3.13gig.

2gigs Mushkin Level 2 Black PC3200 ddr ram.

Gainward golden Sample Nvidia 6800GT @ stock timings.

Soundblaster Audigy2.

WD Caviar 7200rpm 40gig HD. 8mb cache.

Ought to be able to run NASA with this thing.

Kompan
11-04-2004, 12:26 PM
I would have to say that it almost (key word almost) always has to be the operators computer. A wrong, out dated driver, miss install, incompatable software/hardware. The reason I say this is not to flame anyone, but to perhaps get something straight for myself and others.

If all PF disks are the same, contain the same information, data, etc. Then they should all install and operate under the same principals. After that it is all up to the computer how it processes the information. You might be able to run other games and programs just fine, because those games and programs are not asking your computer to do what PF is asking. So I would think that instead of blaming the developer for the problems, let them know what system you are running, what hardware you have, how you installed it and anything else that might be interfering with the operation of PF. That is how I understand this to be. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

After all that if it still doesn't work, then perhaps it just wasn't meant to be. I know I have had games that I could get to work due to limitations of my computer. It is just life. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Barred
11-04-2004, 12:29 PM
Have you tried the 66.81 driver?
The latest driver for the Audigy from the US site?

If you are prepaired to try another install of all 3 games run a defrag before installing them.

The reason that I ask is that your rig is not that much different from mine and I am running FB+AEP+FB with no problems and those are the drivers that I am using.
GL

cpirrmann
11-04-2004, 01:08 PM
I've been playing PF+FB+AE since I received PF with no lockups or crashes. With everything set high and lots of planes I get low frame rates but on lite missions with water perfect, it's not bad. I need to upgrade my system though.
AMD Athlon 800 MHZ, 512 MB Ram,Radeon 9600 SE

steve_v
11-04-2004, 01:13 PM
Playing PF for one week now. At first, had one on-line and one offline hard freeze. Have had no problems since lowering vid settings and made a few conf changes, which can be found here, http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=49310655&m=4501076732

Barton 2500+ running 200x11 on Abit NF7-S
9800 Pro, 412/365
1 Gb PC3200, 6-3-3-2

Chuck_Older
11-04-2004, 02:11 PM
Hang in there El

Nubarus
11-04-2004, 02:24 PM
I have not had a single crash in PF since I first installed it over 2 weeks ago.

Asus K8V Deluxe
AMD64 3200+ 1mb cache (Not overclocked)
ATI Radeon X800 Pro (Not overclocked)
Creative SB Audigy2
IIyama ProLite E511S 20.1" LCD screen

I don't play in perfect mode because I rather prefer a resolution of 1600x1200 32bit so all settings are maxed out accept Perfect mode.

Runs very well here, even with lot's of ship flak.

No lockups, blue screens or CTD's, etc here so far.

NIGHTBARON
11-04-2004, 04:07 PM
Hmmm, Been playing PF (over FB&AEP install) for almost 2 weeks and lucky enough I never had any freezing/crashing prob... run it in max setting in setup and excelent setting in game.

The only thing i cant get is that nice water like in the screen shots & Now the game run smoother in DirectX.
(only got Pixelview Gfx5700)

LEXX_Luthor
11-04-2004, 06:21 PM
Excellent settings maxed out, but Effects and Water low levels, but with Perfect clouds in "conf" file enabled. Total smooth, no Stutter, no Freeze, no LaGG

Athalon 1700+
WinXP Homely
256MB 133MHz SDRAM
ATI~9200 (default CD driver)

Without a doubt or stutter, I must be out of my league in this thread. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I do keep a clean Windows though...

mortoma
11-05-2004, 12:26 PM
I don't understand this stuff. I have a fairly old computer running Winows 98SE and I have all 3 types of installs, AEP 2.04, PF stand-alone and FB+AEP+PF. Not had any trouble to speak of with any of them. Here are my specs ( I run 1024x768 32bit DirectX on medium settings with 2X AA and 2X AS )
Windows 98SE
Athlon XP-2100 Palamino processor
Asus A7M-266 mobo
DirectX Ver. 9.0c
TI-4600 Ultra running at 4X AGP
Nvidia 61.76 driver for WinXX/ME
1GB of Corsair XMS2700 CAS2 running at 2100 speed
Audigy 1 Gamer
ATA133 60GB hard disk running at ATA100 speed
ATA133 40GB drive used as storage and for the swap file.

Now, if I can run PF with lowly specs like that, why can't you guys?? My rig is from the Cretaceous period of computer technology!!! The guy who posted before me has a rig from the Jurassic period and he runs better than I do.

GT182
11-05-2004, 12:37 PM
El, if anyone can help you it's Hunter. I've talked to him on the phone and he does know what he knows. And no I'm not sucking up either. He gave me a couple of pointers on building a new pc that helped me out. So I'm sure he can get PF to run for you.

Just hang in there. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

I've only had PF since Wednesday and it's running fine on what I have so far.. P4 1.9Ghz, 768megs of PC2100 DDR RAM, GF4 MX420 64mb card and XP Home. No freezes but some stuttering with the Kamakazi track. SP game play has been fine. Hopefully my new pc work even better when it's finished.

Hunde_3.JG51
11-05-2004, 01:14 PM
I get fairly frequent freezes, screen just freezes and I hear a sort of looping, clicking sound. I run at 1600x1200 all excellent settings 2xAA and 2xAF. No blue screens or crashes to desktop. Never had a single freeze in FB/AEP.

To me it seems like an overheating thing or a sound card thing, doesn't seem like a video issue. I will check for latest drivers for Audigy-2, I haven't checked in awhile. Will let you know if I install new driver and have no problems. Will also mess with sound settings to see if that stops freezes.

Oh, did a complete reinstall due to freezes with defrag, didn't help at all.

Good luck.

9800-pro
AMD 2800+
Audigy 2-ZS (noticed you had this card as well).
Asus A7N8X MB

owlwatcher
11-05-2004, 02:51 PM
Just started getting into PF here.

Running 1600 x1200 32bit,85 refresh
3000Intel,ATI98 256,2gig ram (3.7?? drivers)

Have changed or play around None with setting.

The graphic are alot better.Simply stunning watching or flying.
May have some sound issues, On the look out right now.
I have had freezes of 1-3 seconds slight sutters and been forced to play or watch in 1/4 speed.The missions I tested would have brought any computer to it's Knees.
Overall all no noticable play differences between FB and PF.
From my point of view water cooling seems to be the best bet. Anyway
I'm just getting started.

XyZspineZyX
11-05-2004, 04:19 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif
Hello,

I also had some problems in the begining but I did install the latest drivers for the graphic card and every thing is OK now.

Sensei.