PDA

View Full Version : USAF flying displays ?

The.Tyke
06-20-2006, 02:31 AM
I've never been to an airshow in the US, so it may be different there. But over here in the UK, I've never seen a USAF jet do anything other than a few low passes followed by a steep turn... if your lucky ! Whereas, for example a Dutch F16 or a Swiss F18 will be flung all over the sky.
Are US Airforce display pilots governed by strict rules when displaying over here ? Maybe our American friends would know.

The.Tyke
06-20-2006, 02:31 AM
I've never been to an airshow in the US, so it may be different there. But over here in the UK, I've never seen a USAF jet do anything other than a few low passes followed by a steep turn... if your lucky ! Whereas, for example a Dutch F16 or a Swiss F18 will be flung all over the sky.
Are US Airforce display pilots governed by strict rules when displaying over here ? Maybe our American friends would know.

stansdds
06-20-2006, 03:56 AM
The rules here are that no flying may be done directly over the crowd, all flying must be done pretty much over the runway. I've seen the average USAF F-15 or F-16 pilot do loops, Cuban 8's, four point rolls, snap rolls, etc. I've also seen USAF and USN pilots fly in, do a couple of passes then head back to their base, so it depends upon the airshow and maybe the time alloted to the pilot for his demonstration.

berg417448
06-20-2006, 08:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The.Tyke:
Are US Airforce display pilots governed by strict rules when displaying over here ? Maybe our American friends would know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess you've been unlucky. I've seen wonderful aerobatic displays by F-15s and F-14s at airshows. One particular F-14 show was especially impressive as it stayed in afterburner for much of the demo. LOUD!

airdale1960
06-20-2006, 12:19 PM
I was told the USAF rules are more stringent than the USN/Marines. I am not 100% certain it has been second hand info, but, reliable. Can someone confirm this?
I have seen some pretty good demos with USAF 15 and 16 though.
The most memorable fly-by was a SR-71 at Randolph AFB in 1984. "Shake the very ground." Every kid in the audiance was crying. It almost made me throw up.

BOA_Allmenroder
06-20-2006, 12:27 PM
IIRC the USAF, USMC and USN have certain pilots who are considered 'airshow' qualified who can perform certain maneuvers at low altitude. These folks are in addition to the DEMO teams: Thunderbirds/Blue Angels.

If you see an a/c just making multiple low passes you're proably seeing the 'average' pilot (and I mean average operational pilot who is restricted from performing airshow type maneuvers at low level).

If you're seeing the loops, cubans etc, you're probably seeing the 'airshow' qualified pilot.