PDA

View Full Version : Track IR Memory leak?

PF_Coastie
01-01-2005, 10:32 PM
Hey guys, Just putting out the feelers on this problem I have noticed.

I have TIR2 and was using 3.11 drivers. I have just changed to 3.13 drivers but have not tested them.

Here is the problem:

After extended play (online) for about an hour or more, I have noticed a drastic decrease in fps and smootheness of the game. If I disable TIR, my fps go right back to normal (nearly double). Enable TIR again and my fps is cut in half!

Perhaps the new drivers will fix this. But, I just want to know if anyone else has seen this.

Thanks

Loki-PF
01-01-2005, 11:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PF_Coastie:
Hey guys, Just putting out the feelers on this problem I have noticed.

I have TIR2 and was using 3.11 drivers. I have just changed to 3.13 drivers but have not tested them.

Here is the problem:

After extended play (online) for about an hour or more, I have noticed a drastic decrease in fps and smootheness of the game. If I disable TIR, my fps go right back to normal (nearly double). Enable TIR again and my fps is cut in half!

Perhaps the new drivers will fix this. But, I just want to know if anyone else has seen this.

Thanks <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Salute Coastie!

Just to be clear here... Are you saying that you've noticed the bug with 3.11 or the new 3.13's? I'm guessing you meant the 3.11's so here goes my answer. I've been running them for quite awhile now and doing some marathon co-op (and more recently flight testing) and haven't noticed the phenom you mention. *However* I usually get a texture corruption in game after ~45 mins and have to reboot often so I might not have noticed.....

Best of luck!
Loki Out

vso
01-02-2005, 03:07 AM
http://forums.naturalpoint.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000115

VFS-22_SPaRX
01-02-2005, 07:19 AM
Welcome to our world Coastie. Exos and I have been trying to get Naturalpoint to look at this or almost 6 months now. Yes there are ALOT of people that have this problem, and i believe that are ALOT more that do not realize they do.

I have been in contact with Wayne at NP quite often over the last few weeks. Right now, their software dev is in teh process of creating a Debugged version of their software for me to run so i can collect some data for them. I am going to contact them again on monday to see how this is going. I was told it would take some time for the software dev to create this. NP has been unable to recreate this in their tests so i am told.

I have had this problem since the release of ACES. Never had it before.

What i am doing now to combat this is switching to mouse emulation when my frames drop. Not near as smooth and precise as ehanced, but you still get to function. The bad new is that the new 4.xx drivers do not have mouse emulation mode anymore. So anyone that has trackir3 and is getting this issue should go back to the 3.xx drivers.

I'll try and keep you all posted on this.

SPaRX

Triple_AA
01-02-2005, 07:52 AM
I Have TiR 3 Pro and do not experience the problem "Except" when I tried to use the Linda Blair View.

I first discovered that this caused FPS problems when I had Tir 1 and the 2.12 beta. I eventually realized that when I disabled the Linda Blair few and went back to the "stock" veiw the problem would disappear.

When I tried the LB view with TiR3 the same thing happened.

Are any of you who are having problems using the LB view?

Maybe the FPS loss while using the LB view is a "gift" from Oleg!

Hunter82
01-02-2005, 07:55 AM
It's disabled in FB,AEP, and PF...maybe your making a call to an area and it cannot release it now? Possibly an issue with Track IR dll in IL2 series from this?

PF_Coastie
01-02-2005, 08:03 AM
VSO, Thanks for the link! That was my next step today.

Sparx, I am curious to why this has not been mentioned here. If it has, I have not seen it. I am going to send a bug report to Oleg. Maybe we will get some news from their side on this issue. In my mind this is a huge issue. It could be directly related to many of the crashes related to playing this game as it appears to be putting a huge load on the system after time.

I will try the unplug trick next time. I have tried restarting the software, but that kills the unit all together!

By the way, I am also using the Nforce2 Ultra 400 chipset. Is this a common thread in this problem? It appears at least two others in the other thread are using the same chipset.

I hope this is resolved soon.

Hunter82
01-02-2005, 08:05 AM
Nvidia has issues with their USB drivers also, have for years just like their IDE drivers. I don't have the Track IR issue but I do have issues with my NForce 3 and finding items such as sticks etc.

PF_Coastie
01-02-2005, 08:08 AM
TripleAA, Thanks for the suggestion. I will test the newer drivers today. I WAS using the LB view tweak. Since I have installed the new drivers, this should be gone now.

I will report back findings later.

Hunter, You may be exactly right man. I will let you guys know what I come up with.

vso
01-02-2005, 08:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Triple_AA:
When I tried the LB view with TiR3 the same thing happened.

Are any of you who are having problems using the LB view? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Everyone is using that reg tweak now....or they are not getting the full views that everyone else are...ie when Oleg expanded the rear view for mouselook(hat switch and mouse view), the only way you can get the same view is with the reg tweak.

This is all in the forums at natural point.

Hunter82
01-02-2005, 09:00 AM
I`m not using it (reg hack)..using Track IR 4 software with Vector

vso
01-02-2005, 09:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hunter82:
I`m not using it (reg hack)..using Track IR 4 software with Vector <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you get the full view that you are supposed to be getting with that version of software without it? (reg tweak)

You don't in the previous versions.

Just to be clear:
I'm talking about getting the same view stop to stop with trackir as you would get without trackir using mouslook.

Soak_
01-02-2005, 09:27 AM
Nobody I fly with has reported any kind of fps drop. A few have Track IR 2 but most of us are using TrackIR3 Pro with the 4.0.020 software. I don't think there are alot with this problem. The only posts I have seen are from a few on the NaturalPoint forum. Overall everyone is extremely satififed with TRackIR. Lets not blow this out of proportion.

vso
01-02-2005, 09:30 AM
And Coastie, this is why this was not "mentioned
" here 6 mo's ago. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

RAF238thKnight
01-02-2005, 09:35 AM
Sry ,

But, if only a few of you are having a problem look to your own machine I have had no issue whatsoever with the product. I wish that you gents would not make a general statment with out a poll lets see how many have this issue. Since the 2 of you are together you feed off of eachother and please stop this BS.

Knight

PF_Coastie
01-02-2005, 09:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Soak_:
Nobody I fly with has reported any kind of fps drop. A few have Track IR 2 but most of us are using TrackIR3 Pro with the 4.0.020 software. I don't think there are alot with this problem. The only posts I have seen are from a few on the NaturalPoint forum. Overall everyone is extremely satififed with TRackIR. Lets not blow this out of proportion. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is not being blown out of proportion. It is a very serious problem that needs to be addressed. It may not happen to everyone. It appears there are a few things that must take place for this to happen.

1. Extended play on same map.

2. Many planes and action.

3. Series 3.xx drivers.

4. Possibly Nforce2 chipset?

5. Possibly LB view reg tweak?

So, Many people have a serious problem of FPS cut in Half while using TIR. We are only trying to find out the common variables here.

I am taking absolutely nothing away from TIR. They are a wonderful company with a wonderful product and I will continue to use it.

Soak_
01-02-2005, 10:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> So, Many people have a serious problem of FPS cut in Half while using TIR. We are only trying to find out the common variables here. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How many have this problem out of the hundreds and hundreds of satisfied customers?

Don't pork stats to get lip service.

Flat_foot
01-02-2005, 10:56 AM
I generally have that problem if i fly for over an hour. (tir/2 and 3.13 currently ) On a p-4 2.4 a gig of ram and xp prof.Been this way for the uyear ive owned it on the 3.10,s also. And call me stupid or crazy im still a very satisfied customer. Now i get to watch people shoot me down. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

VFS-22_SPaRX
01-02-2005, 11:17 AM
Knight,

Those of us that are getting the issue are quite able to troubleshoot our machines. Coastie did not post this to drive panic into the community. This is an INFORMATIONAL forum. So Coastie is trying to inform people of a problem that he is having so others might be able to use that knowledge. This is not a case of you cannot configure your machine, as i have said i have been working with NP for almost 6 months on this issue. Do you think that the NP developers are incapable of setting up a PC as well?

Coastie,

NP has already been in contact with Olegs team about his. They have went over their code numerous times and have found nothing in their code that could cause it. So now NP is looking into their side of it. As i stated, they are working a debugging version for me as we speak. Coastie, if you wouldnt mind, when i get this i could send it to you as well. The more people with the issue that test this, the more data NP will have to fix the issue.

My syptoms are almost the same as yours.

1. Same map for 30-40 minutes
2. Nforce 2 chipset
3. ATI video card.

Soak,

Please do not interject your nay saying BS in this thread. Knight you two as well. This problem is more widespread the either of you know. Making posts like yours without the information is ridiculous and makes you look nothing more then the fool. Telling members of this board that are very well known for the PC capablities that they do not know what they are doing is just ludicrous. So if you are not having the problem, you should have just posted, " It works well for me and i do not have this issue" posted your system specs. How bout instead of being a thorn in a problem, try helping resolve the issue for once.

The thing bout this issue is it not easy to detect. It took me 4 system reloads and 2 months, so it is not easy to detect. It looks alot like you just need to restart you PC because of a graphical problem. Then when the map rotates on the server it goes back to normal least for the first 30-40 minutes of that map. Then you will get the same issue again. And it this appears to be a memory leak issue with either the il2 maps or the game itself. And we all know that IL2 has had is fair share of memory leak issues. So do not try to sugarcoat this. If you are not going to be constructive in this discussion, MOVE ONE!

Finally, these forums are turning into a freaking joke anymore. These boards used to have people on them that would hold intelligant and logical discussions. Instead its getting full of Adults that act like children on the play ground. You know who you are, every post you make ridicules someone. Might be time to turn off your "Internet Playground Muscles" and go to detention. Quite interjecting into our intelligant and resouceful conversations with your personal attacks and idiotic statements. <Steps off Soapbox>

SPaRX

SPaRX

Soak_
01-02-2005, 11:32 AM
Produce some stats and refrain form insults

VFS-22_SPaRX
01-02-2005, 11:37 AM
Thats what we are trying to do here Soak. Bring the issue up so that people can start checking to see if they have the problem. I know of at least 20 playesr that frequent WarClouds that have this problem. And none of them realized what was causing the problem until I asked them to turn off their trackir unit. And these 20 are just a few i have asked. I am sure there are more. As you can see already in this thread, we have 10 posters and 4 of them saying they are having the same issue. Thats 40%. Hows that for a stat. Seems pretty high to me.

And what you come out of the box throwing stones guys, you better be ready to catch some boulders.

SPaRX

RAF238thKnight
01-02-2005, 11:41 AM
Hunter82,

I do not repect that this person can get away with insulting individuals who post on an open forum by calling them fools.

Sparx,

Don't ever again call me a fool in an open forum or degrade anyone by calling them names, your obnoxious views and attacks are not even worth the time of day. I did not call you out onto the matress nor did I even mention you by name, so don't ever do again. I already do not like you for your views, that's a given, and most people are finally getting the real side of SPARKY.

Secondly your issue is specific to the version you are running again WHAT ARE THE NUMBERS YOU ARE TALKNG ABOUT? DID YOU RUN A POLL? I did not see a pol on the issue I also was not attacking anyones machine except to say, they may have a problem with their PC which can happen quite often. I think the issue is with the older verion you are running UPGRADE.

Knight

VFS-22_SPaRX
01-02-2005, 11:44 AM
I just want to clarify somethign here. I am not Doggin NP or their product. I love this thing. I was one of the first to get the device and have even upgraded from Trackir 1 to the new Pro 3 despite this problem i am having. This is a Great unit. I am just want to make it better. What a testiment to a product. Despite the serious problem i am having with it, i continue to use it and just make adjustments to get around the problem. Mouse emulation sux. The enhanced mode is 100x better. If you dont think so, next time you are flying, switch to mouse mode and fly like that for the next 1 hour+. Because that is how we are getting around the problem.

SPaRX

VFS-22_SPaRX
01-02-2005, 11:47 AM
Again, you are makin accusations without having the proper information. I have upgraded. Went from trackir 1 to the pro 3. Problem still there. Used every version of the drivers from 2.xx to 3.xx to the latest and greatest 4.xx.

And you do not have to call out somones name to attack them. The statements you make are clearly directed at certain people on this board.

Did we run a poll. What does it look like we are trying to do now!!!!!!

And just to clarify, i said "look the fool", did not call anyone a fool. See how that works.

SPaRX

RAF238thKnight
01-02-2005, 11:53 AM
That is not a POLL look on the forum and you will see I have started one. PLS take the time to VOTE.

And again you are wrong in this matter, read what you posted that we are FOOLs on a public forum is wrong and when you get enough courage to apoligize I will be rdy to except.

Knight

VFS-22_SPaRX
01-02-2005, 11:59 AM
Coastie,

I want to apologize to you. You are doing a good thing here. And a few people are draggin the trash into the this thread.

Just and FYI, just because the thread does not say "POLL" at the top does not mean it is not polling people for information. As we have stated numerous times already, simply saying do you have issues with FPS using your Trackir is not enough. The problem is more detailed then that.

If anyone wishes to discuss my forum ethics with me, maybe we should put this into a private forum. No reason to do all this out in the public http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

SPaRX

RAF238thKnight
01-02-2005, 12:12 PM
Sparky,

Now you are saying that any other information that comes into a thread other then yours is TRASH. All we are stating is show us some accurate numbers don't just generalize and then say 4 posts = 40% of the satisfied customers.

NO, to late now for Private forums I'll get on your com and will talk like gentelmen if you have the courage.

Your really winning here and I hope the community is seeing this.

Knight

lipp98
01-02-2005, 12:12 PM
hey same here too!!!!

VFS-22_SPaRX
01-02-2005, 12:16 PM
My comms are always open. Feel free to join them anytime. And i am not saying that your information is trash. Quite reading more into my posts then what is being said. The Trash i am talking about it the attack on Me and my "ethics". This is not the place for it.

FYI, the stats are now at 11 posters and 5 with the same problem. Seems this thread is doing what it intended. Hopefully after Wayne sends me this debugging version of their drviers, we can quickly get this issue resolved.

Again, knight, my comms are always open.

S~ SPaRX

PF_Coastie
01-02-2005, 12:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RAF238thKnight:
That is not a POLL look on the forum and you will see I have started one. PLS take the time to VOTE.

And again you are wrong in this matter, read what you posted that we are FOOLs on a public forum is wrong and when you get enough courage to apoligize I will be rdy to except.

Knight <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL, The thread you started is not a poll either. It has absolutely nothing to do with this topic in this thread. Knight, Have you even read the entire thread and/or the one linked by evos? Where in this thread did I ever mention TIR 4.0? I don't have TIR3 pro so I can't use the new software. But, This does not mean some may not have the problem with it either.

Many people may not even notice this problem. If they do notice a slow down in gameplay, they may not have linked it to the TIR.

So, several do not have the problem and several do have the problem. You have said your piece, now move along and lets see who else has the problem and who doesn't.

Sparx, You have my email, I will be glad to test the debug software.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys. Keep it coming.

BPO6_PANP
01-02-2005, 12:24 PM
~S! Hunter
the reason you do not need to do the reg hack on the views is due to this post on the beta version 4 drivers

http://forums.naturalpoint.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=32;t=000023

~S! Panp

Smidlee
01-02-2005, 12:43 PM
Obviously 50+ fps is better than 22 fps yet it's still very playable. even TV only has 30 fps. wouldn't trackIR with 22-25 fps in the last 15 minutes alot better than 50+ without?
To me this isn't a issue to get mad and cry too much about (especially since 20 pings per second online is an excellence connection)

Diablo310th
01-02-2005, 12:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Soak_:
Produce some stats and refrain form insults <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Soak..I don't know what your problem is. Alot more people are having this problem than u know. I for one have at tiems myself. If your not..or too unobservent to notice then refrain from stupid comments that have no meaning nor any help. If you would go read the NP forum on this you might understand. Coastie is trying to help those with the problem. So is Sparx. geeez...it's like being back in class with some of my students.

T_O_A_D
01-02-2005, 12:57 PM
Ok enough of the BS Guys!!!

Post your findings about the topic and not about each other.

I have TIR3pro and the latest drivers. I have not upgraded to the vector thing. I havenot noticed this problem.

I will when home tonight try and ply booth Sparks and Knights server. I will join your comms and see if I get the ame problem.
my rig
Asus p4p800 e deluxe
2.4 p4 ht 800
1 gig 3200
ATI 9800 pro 256
Audigy2

Hunter82
01-02-2005, 01:03 PM
geez I just got back in and everyone's thunping chests....guys cool it it's a viable thread.

Spectre-63
01-02-2005, 01:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Smidlee:
Obviously 50+ fps is better than 22 fps yet it's still very playable. even TV only has 30 fps. wouldn't trackIR with 22-25 fps in the last 15 minutes alot better than 50+ without?
To me this isn't a issue to get mad and cry too much about <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

While 22-25 fps isn't anything to complain about, the TrackIR unit shouldn't be (significantly) affecting FPS at all. While I haven't seen the issue personally (that I'm aware), I think Sparx and Coastie are certainly on the right track. The issue disappearing once the TrackIR is unplugged pretty much isolates it to the TrackIR. The only thing left is to determine whether it's the TrackIR software itself, the nVidia USB drivers (although I'd think we'd see issues with some joysticks as well if it was the USB drivers), or something specific to the AEP/PF code.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RAF238thKnight:
And again you are wrong in this matter, read what you posted that we are FOOLs on a public forum is wrong <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps if you didn't play the part so convincingly, Knight, people wouldn't be so quick to label you as such. While I haven't had enough experience with Sparx to evaluate his level of PC knowledge, Coastie's been providing hints and tips for system optimization for IL2 for as long as I can remember.

Just because YOU don't experience the issue doesn't eliminate the possibility that someone else IS experiencing it through no fault of their own. As I stated before, Sparx and Coastie are on the right track here...once the commonality between the affected systems is found, it's only a matter of time until they can find the culprit. People arguing with them over whether a problem exists or not only serves to hinder the discovery of whatever problem may exist.

lipp98
01-02-2005, 01:22 PM
Hey I have tracking IRpro3 too and when i disable it I gain anywhere from 10 to 15fps I think now this was my bigg issue of graghics freezing up.When i play without itseems just fine!But you know what? i cant live without it.
I have the latest drivers for it.Hopefully somebody will figure it out. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

VFS-22_SPaRX
01-02-2005, 01:36 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Spectre-63
01-02-2005, 01:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VFS-22_SPaRX:
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SPaRX -

I just read thru the thread at NP's forums and it looks (from the stated system specs) that you can eliminate nVidia's USB drivers or ATI's video drivers as possible culprits. There was (if memory serves) at least one Intel-based CPU user and a few nVidia video card users who were also affected. Unfortunately, this would seem to indicate that the issue lies squarely with either 1C or NP. NP seems pretty dedicated to resolving the issue and, with the info provided from the debug version of the software, they should be able to tell you definitively where the issue lies and how to resolve it.

I'll be watching this thread closely to see how things progress.

Best of luck,

VFS-22_SPaRX
01-02-2005, 02:10 PM
I would like to ask that anyone that is having this issue to please go to the naturalpoints forums and relay your information. Please be sure to post your system specs as well as your in game setttings. The more information NP has to work with, the easier it will be for them to resolve this issue for us. Here is a link to the post.

http://forums.naturalpoint.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000115

I would just like to say that we are not out to show that trackir is a crappy product. Infact i have been one of its biggest advocates. I know i have personally recommended at least 30 people to purchase one. It is without a doubt the one product that i have purchased that has the greatest impact to my virtual flying fun and enjoyment. So please try to keep that thread on track.

SPaRX

rummyrum
01-02-2005, 02:10 PM
I had the issue with track ir 1 and now with 3pro. Performance degrades after prolonged play...usually a restart would fix. Its either FB, Track IR or both, but it is present.

Osirisx9
01-02-2005, 02:36 PM
This forum never fails to discredit anyone with different views that comes out of the mouths of other than so-called respected members. Everyone has something to add and enhance the experience for everyone. Just because one member claims something to be fact we shouldn't all hop on the bandwagon and aggree without civil and reasonable analysis. We can all beat out chest about how much knowlege we may have in a specific area but that does not mean that we know everything . Only individuals with serious ego issues can fool themselves and their followers into believing this hype.

RAF238thOsiris

VFS-22_SPaRX
01-02-2005, 02:42 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/353.gif

PF_Coastie
01-02-2005, 02:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Osirisx9:
This forum never fails to discredit anyone with different views that comes out of the mouths of other than so-called respected members. Everyone has something to add and enhance the experience for everyone. Just because one member claims something to be fact we shouldn't all hop on the bandwagon and aggree without civil and reasonable analysis. We can all beat out chest about how much knowlege we may have in a specific area but that does not mean that we know everything . Only individuals with serious ego issues can fool themselves and their followers into believing this hype.

RAF238thOsiris <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you feel better now?

Do you have the problem stated in my original post?

These are 2 very important questions that I genuinly care about. Please respond! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Osirisx9
01-02-2005, 03:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PF_Coastie:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Osirisx9:

Do you feel better now?

These are 2 very important questions that I genuinly care about. Please respond! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your silly post validates my point http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

RAF238thOsiris

Dunkelgrun
01-02-2005, 03:30 PM
Coastie have you been nasty to the RAF238th? They appear to be gunning for you. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif

Cheers!

lipp98
01-02-2005, 03:35 PM
hey one thing i`ve notice while playing about this memory leak on my FPS while playing would drop clear down to 8 and jump right back up to 65 FPS thats only playing for about 40 minutes before the big up down.It would hold for awhile and then do it somemore periodicly

system
P4 3.4
2gig ram
BFG6800gt 256

PF_Coastie
01-02-2005, 03:46 PM

Do you feel better now?

These are 2 very important questions that I genuinly care about. Please respond! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your silly post validates my point http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

So, this validates my subtle point. You are nothing more than a spammer. If you have nothing to say about the topic, move along please. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1241.gif

PF_Coastie
01-02-2005, 03:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dunkelgrun:
Coastie have you been nasty to the RAF238th? They appear to be gunning for you. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif

Cheers! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL, I guess I was and don't know it. They are supposed to be my allies. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

Osirisx9
01-02-2005, 03:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dunkelgrun:

Cheers! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not gunning for anyone and I dont even know Coastie. For now he seems OK http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif But lets see where this leads.

RAF238thOsiris

PriK
01-02-2005, 04:03 PM
Just going to add another voice to the er...discussion. When I got to the ego contest I just skipped past so I didn't really read most of this thread.

I am on the beta team for NP and have owned every unit since TIR1 as well as tested every driver revision. I also am currently running an Nforce2 chipset and FX5900XT graphics.

Now I have to say that I've never really noticed a substantial decrease in framerate, certainly not 50% in my experience although their is by necessity a slight CPU increase using TIR. It is obvious that there is a problem here though and despite the fact that you seem to get back your framerates after unplugging TIR it isn't conclusive to say that it is a "bug" in the TIR or software although it is possible and should be looked into.

I have noticed a lot of problems come up if the TIR is plugged into an unpowered USB hub so that might or might not have any bearing. Also, it's possible that there is a smaller frame drop associated with a PF memory leak (which I've long suspected is present in the game) noticeable after time that is amplified somehow by using TIR.

I'm interested to see how this pans out and I know that if Wayne at NP is on it then there is a good chance he'll find out. Either way, I hope it works out and I'll run some tests when I get a spare moment to see if I can reproduce the problem.

lipp98
01-02-2005, 04:14 PM
Your right it could Be PF they know they have problem

VFS-22_SPaRX
01-02-2005, 04:18 PM
Prik,

As i stated, Wayne is working with me to get this resolved. They are building a debugging version for myself to run to see if the can find the isssue. I have asked Wayne if he minded if i handed this off to a few others that i know are getting the same problem as well and he was highly receptive to it. So as soon as i get my hands on this, hopefully it will resolve this for us. Its hard to duplicate this. I do not deny that. Wayne has repeatedly tried to do it and has not been successful. They even built a new testing machine with spec similar to what i have running here. But there are just too many varibles in this. Motherboard make, bios revisions, drivers, memory manufactures, and the list can go on.

When i first starting talking to Wayne bout this, it seemed like it was an isolated problem with just a few people, but as you can see, its a little more widespread the initially thought. Its a hard problem to spot. It looks too much like a memory leak issue with IL2/PF. But the fact remains, take Trackir out of the mix, and everything works just fine. Be it that it may be a Videocard or IL2 problem, these people are not going to invest time and money to fix a problem that is such a small pecentage of their users. So even if it is a problem with jsut ATI cards or Nvidia chipsets, it would be in NPs best interest to find a solution as these two products are represented in high numbers in PCs.

We are not trying to place any blame here, we aer just trying to get a solution to our problem. Maddox has already reviewed the issue and told NP there is no problem on their end. So it would see that the ball is in NP court now. I have no doubts that they will fix this problem. They are a top knotch crew andi have nothing but respect for them and their product. So lets just hope this gets fixed or us http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SPaRX

PriK
01-02-2005, 04:47 PM
Like I said it's too early to discount any possibility of the problem being 1C, NP, ATI, or whoever until some more testing is done. It could very well be anything including a problem with NP drivers but at least things are on the right track and NP is willing to make the effort.

Please keep me informed with your progress and if you need another voice to NP I'll do what I can but it seems you're already working directly with Wayne.

Losing those kind of frames can be a game killer and it might even be affecting everybody to some extent including myself and we're attributing it to other factors. It may also turn out to be a combination of things.

PF_Coastie
01-02-2005, 06:30 PM
Prik, Great info man. TY

The one thing I am curious about is the LB view registry tweak that was mentioned earlier. I have did a fresh install with 3.13's minus the LB view tweak. I am off to test now.

Takata_
01-02-2005, 06:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PriK:
...Also, it's possible that there is a smaller frame drop associated with a PF memory leak (which I've long suspected is present in the game) noticeable after time that is amplified somehow by using TIR. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm with you here:
I'm not using TrackIR but NewView hat switch mouse emulator and I'm experiencing the same problem: an FPS huge drops after some time flying in the same server, pauses, stutters then crash.

System:
Asus A7N8X (NForce 5.1 drivers)
AMD 3000+
1 Gb RAM (Infineon)
Asus 9950 (FX 5900 / 66.93 drivers)
DX 9.0c
Win XP sp2

T_O_A_D
01-02-2005, 08:00 PM
I just spent 1 1/2 hours on Sparx server It ran just as bad at the beggining as it did at the end.

I had micro stutters all the time,and 2 locks for over a second. I think it was players joining. Never had trouble when I was close to anyone though. My ping was less than 50 all the time.

My FPS was in the 40 all the time. From beggining to the end. So I don't think I saw the complaint here on my rig.

PF_Coastie
01-02-2005, 08:28 PM
Roger that Toad, Thanks for testing man. I see you have a P4. Most complaints I see have AMD w/nforce2 chipset. However, I think there have been a few with Pentiums. Please keep it in mind if you ever do see a big performance drop though.

It just makes me wonder how many have the exact same problem. Not a slight loss in fps, but a full 50% with no way to recover it but to turn off trackir or rejoin the server.

Takata, I really do not think your problem is related to ours. Yours sounds more like overheating or Nvidia graphic driver issue.

TheGozr
01-02-2005, 08:36 PM
AMD nforce3 begining til the end not a frame lost. on PWR

But i agreed look at your memory. 1 G is a must in the PC.

BrassEm
01-02-2005, 08:43 PM
G'day,

I've noticed the fps problem quite a bit now on my new PC. I am having problems (Not NP related) with other games as well, half life 2, Ravenshield, PF and COD, and have quite a fair bit of diagnosis to no avail.

One factor that I keep seeing in the forums is that it appears to be related to the AMD chipset, and quite possibly the NVIDIA nforce chipset. All posters machine specs are AMD as far as I can tell, most didn't specify the nforce chipset.

No solution but just something to bear in mind for what its worth...

My bugged machine is;
AMD 3500+ K8NSNXP-939 nforce3 mobo, 1Gb RAM, 220GB RAID HDD, Nvidia 6800 ultra, Antec case and 480W ps. XP Home. NP TrackIR 3.

Takata_
01-02-2005, 09:02 PM
Takata, I really do not think your problem is related to ours. Yours sounds more like overheating or Nvidia graphic driver issue. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't get me wrong here Coastie, I'm not facing such kind of hardware problem. First, my system is stable and monitored. Memory is tested, CPU, GPU are not overheating, and even if I change my bios motherboard to "safe" settings, it won't improve anything.

I even made a brand new system with FB+AEP+PF (only) installation with reformated then defragmented HD, with brand new drivers install and tried the full range of video drivers to fix that. No joy.

I won't explain everything I tried to fix it from PF release, but my own issue looks like this "TrackIR memory leak".

I'm tired spending so much time "fixing the game" after each patch. I'm usually able to run it with high FPS tweaking my config but this time, I'm can't see what to do other than rebooting every 30 mn.

Takata.

PriK
01-02-2005, 10:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Takata_:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PriK:
...Also, it's possible that there is a smaller frame drop associated with a PF memory leak (which I've long suspected is present in the game) noticeable after time that is amplified somehow by using TIR. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm with you here:
I'm not using TrackIR but NewView hat switch mouse emulator and I'm experiencing the same problem: an FPS huge drops after some time flying in the same server, pauses, stutters then crash.

System:
Asus A7N8X (NForce 5.1 drivers)
AMD 3000+
1 Gb RAM (Infineon)
Asus 9950 (FX 5900 / 66.93 drivers)
DX 9.0c
Win XP sp2 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

NewView takes advantage of the same hook into PF that was put there for TIR so it might be further evidence that this is not necessarily a TIR software issue but the game or interface. However, you should be aware that NewView will use substantially more CPU and resources to work than TIR so in effect you're starving PF, a game that is very CPU intensive.

XyZspineZyX
01-02-2005, 11:28 PM
Some thoughts...
Is the TIR on it's own IRQ ?
Is it being run in USB 2.0 ?
Is it being run through a powered hub (USB 2.0) ?

This is how mine is setup and there doesn't seem to be any FR drops.

might help, might not

westcoastphil
01-03-2005, 09:08 AM
After reading this post for a couple of days, I'd also like to chime in that I too have this problem with my TIR2 setup running 3.13 drivers. Here are my specs:
AMD64+ 3000 CPU
Asus KN8-E Nforce 3 mobo
1Gig of Crucial memory
Maxtor 80Gig HD as well as Seagate 200G HD.
ATI 9800 Pro 128mb memory vidcard.
I'm using onboard sound but set with Hardware acceleration one tick down.

I really noticed the stutters ,for the past two nights, approximately 45 min. into a mission map. I'm flying predominantly on Greatergreen, btw. So last night I used the onboard FPS meter and noticed when I started to have this "memory leak" that my frames cut approximately in half. My frame rate when its busy (about 32 players) was running around 35 or so. This dropped to 17, and on a desert map. As soon as the mission time limit was over, or the mission ended due to one of the teams winning and the map cycled my frame rates went back up. I really started noticing this ever since the new patch came out.

I wanted to download a previous driver (3.12) but I could not find it on NPs website. Can anyone here point me to a previous driver download page?
Thanks

PriK
01-03-2005, 09:59 AM
PM me with your email and I'll send it to you when I get home from work.

GAU-8
01-03-2005, 10:02 AM
ive had problems with it happenening as well, and it does cut down FPS considerably. ive had the problem since AEP, while it doesnt seem to be as often as some of my 310th squadies having the problem, it still hits, and when it does, quite aggrivating.

gates123
01-03-2005, 10:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by westcoastphil:
After reading this post for a couple of days, I'd also like to chime in that I too have this problem with my TIR2 setup running 3.13 drivers. Here are my specs:
AMD64+ 3000 CPU
Asus KN8-E Nforce 3 mobo
1Gig of Crucial memory
Maxtor 80Gig HD as well as Seagate 200G HD.
ATI 9800 Pro 128mb memory vidcard.
I'm using onboard sound but set with Hardware acceleration one tick down.

I really noticed the stutters ,for the past two nights, approximately 45 min. into a mission map. I'm flying predominantly on Greatergreen, btw. So last night I used the onboard FPS meter and noticed when I started to have this "memory leak" that my frames cut approximately in half. My frame rate when its busy (about 32 players) was running around 35 or so. This dropped to 17, and on a desert map. As soon as the mission time limit was over, or the mission ended due to one of the teams winning and the map cycled my frame rates went back up. I really started noticing this ever since the new patch came out.

I wanted to download a previous driver (3.12) but I could not find it on NPs website. Can anyone here point me to a previous driver download page?
Thanks <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have tir 2 and am running the 3.12 drivers and am experiencing a major fps hit after about a half hr of playing time. Didnt have this problem with 3.02m. Any fixes on this would be greatly appreciated, thx to those involved trying to iron this out.

TheGozr
01-03-2005, 01:38 PM
Please while ingame after some time verify your ingame memory USE in the task manager.
I had that trouble one time and i had to change my texture setting and fixed it...

westcoastphil
01-03-2005, 02:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheGozr:
Please while ingame after some time verify your ingame memory USE in the task manager.
I had that trouble one time and i had to change my texture setting and fixed it... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gozr, what is your texture setting set at?

VFS-22_SPaRX
01-03-2005, 06:05 PM
Just to give you guys an update on my end.

I tried to get ahold of Wayne today, but it seemed he was out of his office. I then got ahold of Jim Richardson to speak to him about this. I explained to him what we have been seeing and going through over the last 6 or so months. He told me that he was aware of the problem and that they had hoped that the new version of the software would fix this. I told him that this was not the case and i get the problen in any version of the software with the Trackir 3 pro. He assured me that he will be speaking with his guys tomorrow about this in their meeting and that they will put forth the effort to get this resolved for us. I have nothing but complete respect for these guys. They are doing all they can to get this fixed. Jim said they would contact me tomorrow with more information.

S~
SPaRX

PF_Coastie
01-03-2005, 06:17 PM
Gr8 news Sparx. Thanks for the update man. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

I was going to try to test offline tonight. But, the Sugar bowl is on!

JG52Uther
01-03-2005, 06:33 PM
Just noticed this thread.Maybe it could be linked to 'community help' or 'general discussion' as some people probably dont come to the 'pacific fighters' forum very often,i know i dont.Just a thought http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.And i dont think i have this problem with my TiR 2.

Slammin_
01-03-2005, 06:42 PM
What I think is strange is that with every IL-2 patch, I see this problem on my server. Note that the dedicated server patches always come out later, so in order to serve, I have to rung the client version in server mode on my server.

Of course I don't have TIR installed on the server, but what I do see with the client patches, and that is EVERY client patch, is what appears to be a memory leak. Of course running GC at the required intervals helps, but that is not always enough.

Really, just thinking out loud, but in following this thread, I can state several observations that I'm sure a few can substantiate, such as the rare instance where IL-2/FB/AEP/FP goes into runaway mode, usining up all memory, including swap. I think I can actually duplicate this, but am too lazy, but I think not going into the arming screen too early in a multiplayer game is one way to avaid that one. Yes, setting Anti-Aliasing or Anistrobic Filtering too high seems to sometimes cause a runaway memory thingy too.

Yes, there is definitely a problem somewhere, but I'm not sure where, and I don't get bothered by it enough to think too much of it, but I really have not seen a tie-in between this problem and TIR, yet.

I'll quit being lazy and see how else I can re-create it though.

VFS-22_SPaRX
01-04-2005, 01:56 PM
bump

westcoastphil
01-04-2005, 09:53 PM
Bumpity bump

Crossbore
01-05-2005, 06:23 PM
bumpity, bump, bump

Slammin_
01-05-2005, 07:27 PM
GC

bump?

Really, if you think this is a TrackIR issue, try running a few GC's from console when you are experiencing it. I would, but been preoccupied with something lately. If running GC from console fixes it, it is not a TrackIR memory leak, and instead an IL-2 memory leak.

Let us know what you find, thanx.

PF_Coastie
01-05-2005, 08:00 PM
Hey Slammin, Thanks for checking this out man. I have had virtually no time to test this problem much lately. Trying to get back into the "real world" again after the holiday break!

I have tried the Garbage Collect command several times while the problem was occuring. It does absolutely nothing! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

The only thing that works is disabling TIR, restarting the game or a map change. I never tried the mouse emulation trick as sparx did.

I hope to have some time to do some marathon testing this weekend.

I flew one night for an entire map in WC after my 3.13 driver upgrade and cleaning out the registry of the Linda Blair tweak. I did not have the problem that night. Next time I try, I am going to try it on the "online summer 2 map". That is the last map I can remember having the problem on. Maybe this will lead us to further findings.

The thing that puzzles me is if it is an in game problem, Why is it seemingly fixed when disabling TIR?

The only thing that has made sense is perhaps the way the chipset is handling the USB. I only have 2 usb devices on my system. TIR and MSFFB2 stick.

There is one other thing I am going to check. My PSU (Enermax 350w) has been showing some lower than normal 3.3v numbers lately. Between 3.20 and 3.26. I am trying to determine if this could be causing a problem somewhere. My other voltages are fine.

Thanks for keeping this bumped guys!

VFS-22_SPaRX
01-05-2005, 10:26 PM
Coastie,

One thing i have found is that the FPS hit usually doesnt happen on the first map you play. But after that first map it happens just about every map after that.

I have tried everything i can think of here to fix it.

1. Format c:, load OS, IL2 FB/AEP/PF, trackir, and sticks with no control manager. No GO!

2. Bought a high end Adaptec USB 4 port PCI card. No GO!

3. Bought a powered USB hub. Tried it in the onboard ports and PCI card. No GO!

4. Tried every version of trackir Software. No Go!

5. Upgraded from trackir1 to trackir 3 pro. No GO!

Only thing I have not done is tried getting a differnt video card. But as i see some here with Nvidia cards are getting it as well, i doubt that will help either.

Update on my discussions with Wayne at NP. They are working on this as we speak. They are going to first try and reproduce the problem in their tests. They say they will more then likely send me some debugging apps to run here, but it will take them some time to code these. Wayne assures me that they will find this problem and fix it. I will keep you all posted with any new info i get.

S~

SPaRX

gates123
01-06-2005, 09:38 AM
Thx Sparx,

you hit it on the nail. It only occurs on the second map change. I actually just noticed this yesterday before I read your update. You are no doubt on top of it. Please keep us informed. Thx

westcoastphil
01-07-2005, 08:42 AM
bump

Airmikey2
01-08-2005, 02:26 PM
bump

MeNeFrego-KARL
01-11-2005, 08:24 AM
Hi to all!

Just for to be a voice in the corus http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I am experimenting the same problem as you, but my frames loss is very severe, so severe that my PC sometimes is freezed.

I am using a TrackIR pro with the 3.12 drivers, I have played FB+AEP+PF for moths without any problem, my PC handle the games very well.
I am running the game at 1240x960 at maximum detail with AA4X and AFx4.
My machine is a high end DELL Dimension:
Pentium IV 3.0 GHz. with 2GB RAM and a ATI Radeon 9800XT with 256 MB.
All the drivers are updated and I have a very clean configuration. I never had any problem with other games at all.

My problem has started when I installed the TrackIR and for me it happens expecially in the large maps, after 30-40 minutes, but not always, sometimes everything goes well.
If I do not use the TrackIR the problem does not exist at all.

Kepping the finger crossed and strong faith with NP. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

KARL

Diablo310th
01-11-2005, 10:55 AM
guys..I think the new 4.0021 drivers out Jan3rd are designed to help with teh memory loss. It's only good for TIR3 and pro models tho. I haven't tested them yet. I jsut installed last night.

VFS-22_SPaRX
01-11-2005, 01:55 PM
Just wanted to post an update. Still waiting to hear back from Wayne. Still have not gotten the debugging version from them. Wayne told me he is going to try and do some online flying to recreate the problem. This is as much as i know. I put an email out to them yesterday, but have not gotten a reply as of yet.

For those of you that are having the problem, would you please goto Natural Points forums and post in this thread:

http://forums.naturalpoint.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000115;p=4

Please post your system details and IL2 game settings. The more info the better and the more voices we have reporting the problem the better.

S~
SPaRX

Lucius_Esox
01-11-2005, 10:00 PM
Hi all, Am just posting my tuppence worth here if it helps. Have had Track Ir3 for a week now and have used it,,,,, well a lot! I think definitely I would have experienced the problems you guys are having but thus far nothing. I installed the Track IR3 after a complete OS re-install. The only things on my h/drive are AEP/FB/PF patched to 3.03m, well apart from all the window stuff that is http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Am using the 4.0021 drivers. My mobo has the Via KT400 chipset and am running the latest 4in1's.

Sys: XP2800, Gigabyte GA7VXP, 9800pro128, 768mb pc2700 (cheapo stuff), 5.1 live. OS WinXP pro SP2, Directx9.0c, Cat 4.12's. I have not installed the beta dll's for the vid issues although I am suffering from them as am gonna wait for 3.04.

In reply to some of the earlier bull, just because I (or you) have not got the problem doesn't mean to say it doesn't exist in substantial numbers. I think it's reassuring to know that there are many good brains out there to help sort problems like this out!

Recon_609IAP
01-11-2005, 10:15 PM
Sparx - have you other trackir enhanced games?

I am curious if it is experience for you just with IL2 or with all Trackir enhanced games?

Soak_
01-12-2005, 03:45 AM
Ok I jumped the gun. I was wrong. Looks like the problem is more wide spread than I ever imagined. Although I haven't had any problems and I use TracKIR Pro 3 with the 4.0 drivers, Nvidia 6800GT card. I think you might be onto something by comparing fps with different games. Maybe someone who is experiancing problems in PF can compare it to MS Flight Sim 2004. I'm sure it must be frustrating for those of you having problems. Hopefully they get this sorted out for you guys soon. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

reddevil49
01-12-2005, 09:46 AM
Hi to all. I have been following this thread with a lot of intrest and have question that I would like to ask. I just purchase the TIR3pro with the vector clip and play mostly offline. Is the problem you are having happen mostly online or has this happened ofline as well? Also does this happen using the dot mode or the vector mode? As an offline player I can't say that I have noticed this. But as I'm quite green to all of this I was just wondering.

gates123
01-13-2005, 12:43 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif Bump

ckur
02-24-2005, 01:51 AM
I have the same problem with the framerate dropping after some 30-45 minutes of play. The frames go back up if I turn off the TIR.

I am using Tir software version 4.0.022

My system:
AMD 64 3200+, Saphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 1,5 Gb Kinston, Abit K8V mobo, integrated soundcard, SB 5100, Saitek X45 joystick, Track ir 3Pro

Tgd_Voxman
02-24-2005, 08:20 AM
So we're all on the same page:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=23110283&m=4191012482