PDA

View Full Version : Vista Question

clipper2
08-13-2008, 04:33 AM
I'm thinking of buying a new computer and as most of the manufacturers are installing Vista in thier rigs now, I was wondering if it has been improved on as far as gaming is concerned, or should I stipulate that I must have XP installed. As I'm a bit of a dunce as far as the workings of computers are concerned, I'm hoping that some of you computer savy guys can help me here. Thanks in advance fellas.

clipper2
08-13-2008, 04:33 AM
I'm thinking of buying a new computer and as most of the manufacturers are installing Vista in thier rigs now, I was wondering if it has been improved on as far as gaming is concerned, or should I stipulate that I must have XP installed. As I'm a bit of a dunce as far as the workings of computers are concerned, I'm hoping that some of you computer savy guys can help me here. Thanks in advance fellas.

gorkyporky
08-13-2008, 04:53 AM
It depends on what kind of computer you are getting. I have
Core2Duo 2.66GH
GeForce 8800 GT
4GB ram
and i have noticed no slowdowns when i switched from xp to vista. If anything, i find it much easier to manage, especialy my wireless conection. It also has a nice auto update thing, and in general interacts a lot with the net, so it downloads drivers and stuff like that on its own. But as far as i know a minimum of ram to work with vista comfortably is at least 2GB. And yes, il2 works just as good as on xphttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

RAF_OldBuzzard
08-13-2008, 05:17 AM
Go with Vista 64 bit and you won't look back.

Most of the Vista "problems" came from people trying to install Vista on older systems that really weren't capable of running it properly, and poor driver support from people like nVidia, Creative, HP, Lexxmark,...

Any of the newer dual or quad core systems can do a good job with Vista. The BEST thing you can do with Vista is "throw RAM at it". Go for 4GB RAM up front if you want to do any gaming.

I'm running Vista 64 on an AMD 4800+ with 8GB RAM, and it runs great. I also have XP x64 Pro on this system, and I rarely use it any more, because Vista is just so much better.

Urufu_Shinjiro
08-13-2008, 10:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RAF_OldBuzzard:
Go with Vista 64 bit and you won't look back.

Most of the Vista "problems" came from people trying to install Vista on older systems that really weren't capable of running it properly, and poor driver support from people like nVidia, Creative, HP, Lexxmark,...

Any of the newer dual or quad core systems can do a good job with Vista. The BEST thing you can do with Vista is "throw RAM at it". Go for 4GB RAM up front if you want to do any gaming.

I'm running Vista 64 on an AMD 4800+ with 8GB RAM, and it runs great. I also have XP x64 Pro on this system, and I rarely use it any more, because Vista is just so much better. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with all this, get vista 64bit and at least 4gigs ram and you'll never regret it.

Stingray333
08-13-2008, 12:33 PM
Those running Vista 64, do you ever have problems with drivers? i.e. finding drivers for track ir, joysticks, etc?

I have toyed with the idea of going to 64bit Vista from 32bit XP, but have been holding off

Stingray

Urufu_Shinjiro
08-13-2008, 01:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stingray333:
Those running Vista 64, do you ever have problems with drivers? i.e. finding drivers for track ir, joysticks, etc?

I have toyed with the idea of going to 64bit Vista from 32bit XP, but have been holding off

Stingray </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Generally no, since vista drivers needed to be made from scratch and 32bit and 64bit vista have been there from the start most have written both 64bit and 32bit drivers so they are a lot easier to find than say XP 64bit drivers are.

leitmotiv
08-13-2008, 01:14 PM
Urufu_Shinjiro I am having trouble adding text to files---when asked if I want to keep the changes, I click "yes", and then I'm told I can't change the file. What is going on here?

Urufu_Shinjiro
08-13-2008, 01:21 PM
May be several things, check to see if the file is read only (right-click and properties), is the file in "program files" folder? Is UAC on or off?

VW-IceFire
08-13-2008, 03:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by clipper2:
I'm thinking of buying a new computer and as most of the manufacturers are installing Vista in thier rigs now, I was wondering if it has been improved on as far as gaming is concerned, or should I stipulate that I must have XP installed. As I'm a bit of a dunce as far as the workings of computers are concerned, I'm hoping that some of you computer savy guys can help me here. Thanks in advance fellas. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Been running Vista for almost a year now and I haven't had that many problems. A few old games are a bit challenging to get running but its pretty easy to sort out. On a new system properly setuo its great. I like pretty much all of the subtle new features quite a bit.

clipper2
08-13-2008, 07:46 PM
Thanks very much chaps for your help and information. I'm thinking of getting a Dell XPS630, or a Dell XPS420. The XPS630 has a 512MB PCle x16 NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT video card installed, while the XPS420 has an ATI Radeon HD 3870 512MB card. I'm not sure which is the better choice. The XPS420 has 4 Gig of RAM whereas the XPS630 has 3 Gig. I would ask them to increase that to 4 Gig of course. The system they install is Vista Home Premium. How does that compare to Vista 64 bit? I would be running IL2 1946, Company of Heros, Faces of War, and of course, SOW BOB when it arrives. I've been using a Dell Dimension E520 which I had slightly customised for gaming for about 18 months now on XP Home Edition with 1 Gig of RAM, and have been quite happy with it, but I'd like to move up to something with a bit more power. I'd Like to go for the Dell XPS730 but, like most people, I'm governed by my budget and cost. Thanks again everybody.

VW-IceFire
08-13-2008, 08:00 PM
I believe the 9800GT beats the 3870...but worth checking the benchmarks to see which is faster or which offers the best price/performance ratio.

Vista Home Premium comes in both 32bit and 64bit options. Its essentially equivalent to Windows XP Media Center. I think its the best buy of the Windows Vista options ...Ultimate is useless and Business isn't that different for the average user.

fabianfred
08-13-2008, 10:29 PM
What are the advantages of vista 64 bit over 32 bit....?

and can I run 64 bit on my system?

Core Duo E6850 3 Ghz.
8800GTS 320mb
3 GB ram

clipper2
08-13-2008, 10:48 PM
Thanks IceFire, I'll go with the 9800GT. I rang Dell to ask them about 64Bit Vista and they said you can't get software to work with 64Bit. Maybe that might be the case just here in Australia. But that's what they said. They use 32Bit, so I guess I'll have to go with that. They also said that Vista was much more stable now than it used to be. Thanks mate.

RAF_OldBuzzard
08-13-2008, 11:10 PM
Then don't get a Dell! That clown was trying to blow smoke up your ***!

Vista 64 will run 32 bit applications just fine, and in quite a few cases even faster than in a 32 bit OS.

One huge advantage of a 64 bit OS is the ability to USE more than 4GB of memory. Actually 32 bit Vista and XP will usually only use only 3.5 GB, because it also has to keep track of your VID CARD memory, and that cuts into the amount of RAM that it can access.

Besides, you can probably find a nicer system at a lower price from someone else online, or a local "Mom & Pop" computer store. The advantage of doing that is that they would be assembled from "Industry Standard" components, and not the shabby garbage that Dell has been known to put in their systems.

RAF_OldBuzzard
08-13-2008, 11:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fabianfred:
What are the advantages of vista 64 bit over 32 bit....?

and can I run 64 bit on my system?

Core Duo E6850 3 Ghz.
8800GTS 320mb
3 GB ram </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes you can since its' a 64 bit processor.

Actually, if you are still using HyperOS 2008, you can install Vista and have it and XP.

I currently have 1 XP 32 bit, 2 XP 64 bit, 1 Vista 32 bit, 2 Vista 64 bit and 1 Server 2008 installed. I use the Vista 64 OS's the most, and some of the others are just for beta testing.

PM me if you need any help with HOS and Vista.

Carlz1
08-13-2008, 11:31 PM
I run Vista 64 ultimate with Saitek Z52 Flight control system and rudder pedals, and Track IR. IL2 1946 had some compatibility issues originally but selected Windows 2000 compatible (XP wasn't very stable) and it works as it did on my old computer and XP.
I still get the occasional freeze and crash, especially on longer missions, but that was the same on the old machine.

leitmotiv
08-14-2008, 02:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
May be several things, check to see if the file is read only (right-click and properties), is the file in "program files" folder? Is UAC on or off? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, not "read only" but "program files"---right you are, I turned on UAC again---that was the problem. Should I keep UAC activated for security, or will my Kaspersky suite be enough protection? Thanks for the always excellent advice!

Oh this is a really basic question---I can't figure out how to copy files with Vista. Stumped.

Urufu_Shinjiro
08-14-2008, 08:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by leitmotiv:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
May be several things, check to see if the file is read only (right-click and properties), is the file in "program files" folder? Is UAC on or off? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, not "read only" but "program files"---right you are, I turned on UAC again---that was the problem. Should I keep UAC activated for security, or will my Kaspersky suite be enough protection? Thanks for the always excellent advice!

Oh this is a really basic question---I can't figure out how to copy files with Vista. Stumped. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I run with UAC off, if there is something that can get past my anti-spywares and my NOD32 then UAC won't make a difference, lol.

As for copy files, what exactly do you mean? I assume you're talking about more than right-click and select copy, lol.

leitmotiv
08-14-2008, 09:12 AM
Yeah, you know, duplicate files. I knew how to do it in XP, but I can't find where you do it in Vista.

Urufu_Shinjiro
08-14-2008, 09:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by leitmotiv:
Yeah, you know, duplicate files. I knew how to do it in XP, but I can't find where you do it in Vista. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm still a little confused, can you give me an example? You don't mean like I have this folder with x number of files in it, I want to copy those files to another folder so I have these same files in two different folders? If that's the case you just select them all and right click, choose copy, then go to the new folder right-click a blank spot and choose paste. Is that what you mean?

leitmotiv
08-14-2008, 12:13 PM
I am most familiar with Apple operating systems---I am referring to making an identical copy of a folder or file---in Apple's Panther this is "Duplicate"---I can't find where I can do this in Vista---couldn't you "Duplicate" in XP?

Urufu_Shinjiro
08-14-2008, 01:08 PM
I'm not familiar with apple so we may be at a crossroads of ignorance here, lol. I know if I wanted to create a duplicate of a folder I would right-click on the folder or file in question, then select copy, then right-click on a blank space inside another folder and click paste and it will put a copy of the item right there. You cannot copy a folder or file into the same location as they would share the same file name but you can say copy the il2 folder and then paste it to the deskop or wherever.

leitmotiv
08-14-2008, 02:18 PM
Isn't there a way to copy, for example, your Naturalpoint folder and have the copy go to your desktop?

Urufu_Shinjiro
08-14-2008, 02:28 PM
Isn't there a way to copy, for example, your Naturalpoint folder and have the copy go to your desktop? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, not automatically, you would have to use the copy paste method I described to copy the folder then manually paste it on the desktop. If you want to place a shortcut then you can right-click and choose send to desktop, that will create a shortcut on your desktop. But to have an actual copy of the folder, then right-click on the folder and copy then right-click on a blank spot on the desktop and choose paste.

leitmotiv
08-16-2008, 08:25 AM
Excellent. Thanks, Ace.

leitmotiv
08-16-2008, 03:01 PM
One final basic question! I see Crtl + Alt + Delete doesn't work anymore for exiting from from a jammed program---what do you do now? Thank you, Maestro!