PDA

View Full Version : Info on game play, Manuals??

Rayvyn
08-30-2005, 07:37 PM
Anyone know where to get info on flying this game?? I can't figure out anything about navigation and the map seems all but useless so I spend 90% of my flying time lost... I have checked the manual and there is nothing on the Map or navigating...

Rayvyn
08-30-2005, 07:37 PM
Anyone know where to get info on flying this game?? I can't figure out anything about navigation and the map seems all but useless so I spend 90% of my flying time lost... I have checked the manual and there is nothing on the Map or navigating...

LEXX_Luthor
08-30-2005, 08:07 PM
Best thing to do is go into Full Mission Builder, load a map and hit PrintScreen on the keyboard. This creates grab0000.tga file in the FB/PF folder that you can load into a photo~paint program and print it out. Navigating with paper map next to computer is a new level in flight simming. Do it.

dieg777
08-31-2005, 01:22 AM
there are a few people putting together a manual at airwarfare- all are welcolm to contribute

see here

http://airwarfare.com/mediawiki-1.4.5/index.php?title=Main_Page

section on maps and navigation here

http://airwarfare.com/mediawiki-1.4.5/index.php?title=Navigation

good luck

DmdSeeker
08-31-2005, 05:15 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rayvyn:
Anyone know where to get info on flying this game?? I can't figure out anything about navigation and the map seems all but useless so I spend 90% of my flying time lost... I have checked the manual and there is nothing on the Map or navigating... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like you hit the "realistic" button in the difficulty settings.

There are difficulty options not just for flight, but for navigation too. You've probably got the "no map icon" setting enabled.

It's perfectly possible to have flight dynamics on "full real"; and navigation options set to "screaming noob!"; I know, 'cos that's how I fly offline http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

In addition, many (though not all) planes have a repeater compass which points the way to the next waypoint. The 109's certainly have it.

Tully__
08-31-2005, 10:52 AM
You can zoom the map while in flight by right clicking with your mouse.

Leave the "No Minimap Path" difficulty setting turned off, the map will then show your course & current position.

Jumoschwanz
08-31-2005, 11:05 AM
Hit "M" when you are about to take off and you will get a map.

See where your airbase is. the top of the map is always North, and either zero or 360 degrees, going clockwise back to north you go through 359 degrees until you get back to north.

So look at where you want to go from your airbase, using your airbase as the center of a 360 degree circle, the top being zero and north, see what degree your targets direction is in. For instance if it is straight below your airbase, it is at a heading of 180 degrees, if up and to the right from your base, it may be about a 45 degree heading.

Once you take off, turn your plane until the compass on the instrument panel, or the speedbar, matches the degree of the heading to your target. Then use this as well as looking at the map for landmarks like rivers, roads and cities, to help you along the way.

To get back to base, just add or subtract 180 degrees to the heading you used to get to the target and you will be heading towards home.

This is great fun on a full-real settings type of online server. And it gives you something interesting to learn and use and do, and you will feel all the better a pilot to have become competent at it.

S!

Jumoschwanz

Texas LongHorn
08-31-2005, 10:24 PM
Hey Tully, long time man!
As usual you were correct but forgot to mention the entire map can be draqgged anywhere on the screen buy holding down BOTH buttons at the same time. Pretty cool trick. All the best, LongHorn

JunkoIfurita
08-31-2005, 11:09 PM
So, as a summary of all the useful information offered by the fellows here:

1) Best not to start on full-real navigation (meaning, by map and eyeball alone). The two options you're looking at here in the difficulty settings are:
a) No Minimap Path (on/off) and
b) No Map Icons (on/off)

If both are set to ON, you don't get ANY visual aids when you press M to bring up the map. Full real - I'm not up to that myself, I bet those who are are few and far between (more respect to them).

If No Map Icons is OFF, but No Minimap Path is ON, then you get the most common navigation aid. In this mode, you see an icon on the map for your own location, and the location of any friendly airbases. Also, you have to drag the map around yourself to keep yourself in view.

If BOTH options are set to OFF, you're flying arcade. In this mode, the map will automatically centre to your plane's icon when you press 'm' on and off. ALL objects are displayed as icons on the map, whether they be friendly or enemy planes, flak positions, trains, or anything.

Most tend to fly with the second option set - it isn't quite so difficult as 'full real navigation', but it doesn't spoil the surprise by showing enemy planes coming in from a mile off, or revealing the location of that hidden group of bunkers.

Cheers,
Junko Kimura Ifurita

----

Bearcat99
09-01-2005, 08:43 AM
The value of Airwarfare.com (http://www.airwarfare.com/) cannot be overstated. If I had to pick just one place where all my simming needs can be met it would be there. Sim HQ (http://www.simhq.com/) would be another one.... Hit the Sturmovik Essentials link in my sig also for lots more goodies. This sim isnt the usual hop in and go type of deal... it takes time to learn but it is well worth it. Dont hesitate to tone down the settings until you get familiar with the sim.