PDA

View Full Version : new nvidia drivers

Mart-Man1959
11-14-2005, 06:19 PM
has anyone tried the 81.94 drivers yet from nvidia?

Mart-Man1959
11-14-2005, 06:19 PM
has anyone tried the 81.94 drivers yet from nvidia?

ronison
11-14-2005, 08:17 PM
Yes and they work fine on my machine.

major_setback
11-15-2005, 01:57 PM
Thanks. I would have missed this; I'd only just downloaded the previous one!

The last one (81.85) was reported in one of the forums as causing problems with monitors. Has anyone had any problems with this one?

Saunders1953
11-15-2005, 02:26 PM
Major, my turn to help you--sort of. I installed these drivers last night (just before I installed FSAutostart) and they worked fine so far. Maybe too early to tell, but I ran several missions with lots of planes and AA, etc., and no problems.

major_setback
11-15-2005, 02:26 PM
Thanks! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Billy_DeLyon
11-15-2005, 09:05 PM
Excuse my ignorance as I'm pretty new to all this... & have a few questions:

How crucial is it to update drivers?

How do you find out what driver you've got installed currently?

Once downloaded, is it obvious how to install the new driver? And how do you un-install the old one?

Thanks...

F4U_Flyer
11-15-2005, 10:01 PM
hey all , which would be the optimum driver for an fx5200? Until i get my new comp im not spending for a new card. at present i have the 56.72 . It works ok but is a newer driver going to help any and which one is best?

AMD 2400+
1 gig ram

ronison
11-16-2005, 02:54 AM
My second computer runing win 98 with the FX 5200 has the 77.72 drivers. I dont use it for IL2 but I use to have thoes drivers on my IL2 comp and had no problem with thoes either. Did a check tonight and the 77.72 drivers are still the most up to date drivers for the 5200.

stansdds
11-16-2005, 03:55 AM
I actually fear updating drivers. I'm running the 71.89 with my GF6800 Ultra PCIe and it's working great. I really wonder if it's worth messing with updating.

major_setback
11-16-2005, 04:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Billy_DeLyon:

Once downloaded, is it obvious how to install the new driver? And how do you un-install the old one?

Thanks... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> hey all , which would be the optimum driver for an fx5200? Until i get my new comp im not spending for a new card. at present i have the 56.72 . It works ok but is a newer driver going to help any and which one is best?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

These questions should be posted in community help really.

I uninstall my driver before updating (I believe that it is vital that you do this) using the 'add/remove programmes' function in Windows.

DoubleTap2005A
11-16-2005, 06:30 AM
I installed the new Nvidia driver for my Geforce Ti4, and the good news is that it seems to run fine so far.

The bad news is that I did not notice an appreciable bump in performance so far.

Still, better than a black screen of death...

major_setback
11-16-2005, 09:24 AM
You guys with the FX5200 questions might like to start a new thread, otherwise your questions will be overlooked!

Click on the tab marked 'new' at the top of this page to start a new thread.

Everyone is very helpful here...just let them see what you're asking http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif .

major_setback
11-16-2005, 09:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DoubleTap2005A:
I installed the new Nvidia driver for my Geforce Ti4, and the good news is that it seems to run fine so far.

The bad news is that I did not notice an appreciable bump in performance so far.

Still, better than a black screen of death... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, that's what I've got..a Ti4600. I was a bit worried about installing after hearing that the last driver could mess up your monitor...I'm extremely happy with the picture I get on my monitor now, but it took an age to get it to look right! I would hate to have to re-calibrate the colour etc.

aklabo
11-16-2005, 09:58 AM
Hi All
Better driver then 81.85 . Nvidia 6800 ultra .
Klabo_71st

Hologram3
11-16-2005, 10:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aklabo:
Hi All
Klabo_71st </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What does this mean? What is a better driver?

Billy_DeLyon
11-16-2005, 05:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by major_setback:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Billy_DeLyon:

Thanks... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> hey all , which would be the optimum driver for an fx5200? Until i get my new comp im not spending for a new card. at present i have the 56.72 . It works ok but is a newer driver going to help any and which one is best?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

These questions should be posted in community help really.

I uninstall my driver before updating (I believe that it is vital that you do this) using the 'add/remove programmes' function in Windows. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, I started a new thread on Community help with these Q's - Thanks, Major...

GT182
11-16-2005, 06:30 PM
I'm using the 71.89 drivers for my GF 5600Ultra 256mb card and they work fine. No problems.

F4U_Flyer
11-16-2005, 08:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">OK, I started a new thread on Community help with these Q's - Thanks, Major... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks billy i will look there too!

Te_Vigo
11-17-2005, 02:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aklabo:
Hi All

What Monitor are you running with?
(If you don't mind me asking)
The most common brand of monitor that were killed by installing the 81.85 ver driver, are Sony Trinitron crt's. The Direct Access (new) feature is the culprit there.

Cworth
11-17-2005, 05:56 AM
I tried the new drivers and they work great..even got a bit of a performane boost out of my 6600GT card with the merged game.

No probs with my monitor yet..its an IBM P275 21" CRT monitor.

LameDuck.
11-17-2005, 09:58 AM
77.77+5200fx here. I posted the details on F4U's 5200 driver thread.

Schithawk
11-17-2005, 04:20 PM
saw ur thread yesterday and spent acouple hours testing.
Heres how i did
add/remove grogames uninstall all nvidea
device manager uninstall driver
ran driver cleaner
cold boot
ran driver cleaner
installed ver.7125
warm boot
ran 3dmark ver3
score7731
now i repeated uninstall, dc boot etc.
heres final results
ver 7125 score 7731
ver 8185 7694
ver 8189 7922
ver 8194 7900
these marks are all with default settings .
next i ran with il2 profile
ver 8185 score 7915
ver8194 7924
Now how these scores reflect the ingame gragpics I havent a clue?? : } what i did notice was with 8185&gt; myfps while looking at clear sky was over a hundredand dropped with water trees etc.as expected where as with 8194. ,my fps never went over 70 yet my average fps was a little higher then I got with 8185 as i was recieving a more constant rate.this was on a gigabite 6600gt. still not sure which one to use !!!! lol
dazed and confused
~SchitHawk~

ManicGibber
11-17-2005, 07:41 PM
I have a Sony Trinitron 17" crt, I was using 81.85, I upgraded yesterday to 81.94. Hope my monitor isn't stuffed, cause if it is Nvidia will be buying me a new one

TooCooL34
11-17-2005, 07:47 PM
That driver is good with no noticeable problems thou I didn't check in perfect mode since I don't like it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif
AMD64 3200+, 1Gram, 6800GT

But it's of no use when my TIR2 cut my fps in half after some time of flight. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

BelaLvgosi
11-17-2005, 09:53 PM
Around nvidia forums, the fubared monitors seem to be mostly lg f900p, lg 910bu (altough recoverable, at least on mine!), and some 19" trinitrons.
As a matter of precaution, you should uncompress drivers before install, remove both nvmcss*.* files and it's references from the *.inf to completely remove direct access.
It's not a simple matter of altering your monitor configs so that you need to set them again, on some monitors it messes directly with set values in a way that you simply can't revert back, because it's OS will become unresponsive/corrupted.
It seems like sony and lg don't give a free warranty repair for this problem, due to nvidia's EULA on drivers.

This is one of the most stupid driver problems I've ever seen, the capability of trashing monitors. Not to mention that this is the second official set with it!

ManicGibber
11-17-2005, 11:07 PM
Thanks BelaLvgosi, this really is unbelieveable and being WHQL approved say's a lot for Microsoft. The thing is you just don't think in all seriousness that a driver will do physical damage, obviously Nvidia knows better and hence a EULA. Neat and tidy way to wipe your hands clean though isn't it. This driver was badly needed by those of us with 6800-7800 Nvidia cards making us more than willing unsuspecting customers who out of necessity have to try them out. Also nice to not receive any official statement warning about the potential damage they can or could cause.

ManicGibber
11-17-2005, 11:15 PM
I have uninstalled 81.85 using add/remove and also driver clean. Do you know if this is all that is needed assuming my Trinitron hasn't already been damaged?
Is the 81.94 driver OK or should I uninstal it then edit the inf's and delete the nvmcss files in the driver package then reinstall it?

BelaLvgosi
11-18-2005, 07:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ManicGibber:
I have uninstalled 81.85 using add/remove and also driver clean. Do you know if this is all that is needed assuming my Trinitron hasn't already been damaged?
Is the 81.94 driver OK or should I uninstal it then edit the inf's and delete the nvmcss files in the driver package then reinstall it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If your trinitron's image didn't become very dark at the very moment you accessed the nv control panel, probably you don't have the problem since simply DA can't gain hardware control on it, the damage is done right at that moment, or when you select DA pages. If you are uninstalling, fortunately the files are cleaned by nv's uninstaller anyway.

Both 81.85 and 81.94 exibit the same problem, and again, if you instaled 81.94s and you still didn't have that problem, probably your monitor simply isn't affected like some 19" other sony crt's. One user at nv forums was fine with a sony 17", but a 19" got corrupted.

If drivers have already been instaled, deleting nvmcss*.* from win\system32\ will remove DA, I just suggest deleting right before driver install for 2 reasons, one is that you'll never access it (as I said, on some monitors going to nv control panel is enough to mess their brightness), the other is that the installation will be cleaner as there will be no registry entries to point at the missing files. Good luck!

SeaFireLIV
11-18-2005, 08:32 AM
Been running 81.94 on my 6800 and so far... PERFECT. Thnx, for the heads up!

Schithawk
11-19-2005, 06:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BelaLvgosi:
Around nvidia forums, the fubared monitors seem to be mostly lg f900p, lg 910bu (altough recoverable, at least on mine!), and some 19" trinitrons.
As a matter of precaution, you should uncompress drivers before install, remove both nvmcss*.* files and it's references from the *.inf to completely remove direct access.
It's not a simple matter of altering your monitor configs so that you need to set them again, on some monitors it messes directly with set values in a way that you simply can't revert back, because it's OS will become unresponsive/corrupted.
It seems like sony and lg don't give a free warranty repair for this problem, due to nvidia's EULA on drivers.

This is one of the most stupid driver problems I've ever seen, the capability of trashing monitors. Not to mention that this is the second official set with it! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>!!!!!!!! I'm reading ur post through my 21 inch dell trin. ur scaring me! rother recent drivers safer for me to use?
pease respond ty

BelaLvgosi
11-19-2005, 12:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Schithawk:
ur scaring me! rother recent drivers safer for me to use?
pease respond ty </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, that wasn't my intention! :x
Any official drivers since 81.85 seem to have that problem, so again, the simple workaround is to remove the DA files prior to install.

JG52_Helgstrand
11-20-2005, 07:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Te_Vigo:
Hi All

What Monitor are you running with?
(If you don't mind me asking)
The most common brand of monitor that were killed by installing the 81.85 ver driver, are Sony Trinitron crt's. The Direct Access (new) feature is the culprit there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a Sony 21" CRT, does the new drivers still cause probs or have they fixed it...thanx

ManicGibber
11-21-2005, 11:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BelaLvgosi:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ManicGibber:
Is the 81.94 driver OK or should I uninstal it then edit the inf's and delete the nvmcss files in the driver package then reinstall it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If your trinitron's image didn't become very dark at the very moment you accessed the nv control panel, probably you don't have the problem since simply DA can't gain hardware control on it, the damage is done right at that moment, or when you select DA pages. If you are uninstalling, fortunately the files are cleaned by nv's uninstaller anyway.

Both 81.85 and 81.94 exibit the same problem, and again, if you instaled 81.94s and you still didn't have that problem, probably your monitor simply isn't affected like some 19" other sony crt's. One user at nv forums was fine with a sony 17", but a 19" got corrupted.

If drivers have already been instaled, deleting nvmcss*.* from win\system32\ will remove DA, I just suggest deleting right before driver install for 2 reasons, one is that you'll never access it (as I said, on some monitors going to nv control panel is enough to mess their brightness), the other is that the installation will be cleaner as there will be no registry entries to point at the missing files. Good luck! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't remember if the screen went dark or not after I accessed nvidia control panel, if it did go dark I probably would have simply adjusted the brightness to compensate then thought nothing of it. Gosh I wish I could remember this, is there any other way I can tell if my monitor has been damaged?

BelaLvgosi
11-22-2005, 04:41 PM
Usually along with darker/brighter monitor (as with a friend's lg t710bh that got brighter, unlike my older one that simply can't be controlled by DA)contrast will be locked too.
I can't comment on earlier drivers or specific monitor models.
The DA simply tries to gain control on your monitor so you can adjust it via software. On some it works fine, and on a selective bunch they can go crazy. Probably compatibility will be increased over time.

See this thread at nv http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=721efcafc4ec2a5466...c9ff4&showtopic=8434 (http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=721efcafc4ec2a546658ea42826c9ff4&amp;showt opic=8434) and check if users gave any comment for your specific CRT model.

The latest 81.95's (released today) still have this feature, and as matter of precaution, I'll remove it again before install, as don't intend to make possible for software to alter my monitor settings, no matter if it works fine or not!

major_setback
11-23-2005, 02:53 PM

.... I just suggest deleting right before driver install for 2 reasons, one is that you'll never access it (as I said, on some monitors going to nv control panel is enough to mess their brightness), the other is that the installation will be cleaner as there will be no registry entries to point at the missing files. Good luck! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could you explain how to do this so that someone with limited computer skills can understand you. ie. Could you outline what has to be done to remove the relevant files. I presume I must extract all the files to a temporary folder? How do I install the driver after removing the files? (The auto install won't work I presume?).

major_setback
11-23-2005, 04:37 PM
I just saw your answer to the above question, thanks!

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m...141077173#5141077173 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/5141077173/r/5141077173#5141077173)

Jim81
11-23-2005, 05:53 PM
81.95 has been released...

and i d like to try them !

you know if with lcd monitor direct access can cause any problem ?

Thanks !

BelaLvgosi
11-24-2005, 04:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by major_setback:
I just saw your answer to the above question, thanks!

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m...141077173#5141077173 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/5141077173/r/5141077173#5141077173) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just edited that post with corrected instructions, there was a very stupid typo. I wrote nvmcss*.* instead of nvmccs*.*, but I guess everyone figured it as those two files are the only with similar name. Sorry for any inconvenience.

major_setback
11-24-2005, 06:27 AM
OK.

Jim81
11-25-2005, 06:35 AM
Thanks to BelaLvgosi i installed 81.95 safely and i must say this set of drivers rocks !

1280x960 perfectt mode AA 2xq

Average FPS in on line missions is 66-70...
and with new dlls the game is extra smooth!

R_Target
11-25-2005, 05:52 PM
I'm having good results with 81.95 also.

Dumbo_AK32nd
11-27-2005, 04:18 PM
No problems here.

Bearcat99
11-28-2005, 03:58 PM
81.95 (http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_81.95.html) driver.

Dash_8
11-29-2005, 02:21 PM
81.95 here on a FX5950 Ultra 256 MB card and no problems at all. Although I don't see any increase in perfomance for this sim either. I average 45 fps in PF with perfect water=0 in the config file.

Bateleur
11-30-2005, 04:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim81:
Thanks to BelaLvgosi i installed 81.95 safely and i must say this set of drivers rocks !

1280x960 perfectt mode AA 2xq

Average FPS in on line missions is 66-70...
and with new dlls the game is extra smooth! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Soz Gents, but I've been out of it for a while! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Can anyone give me a heads up as to what "new dll's" are being referred to in the post quoted above?

Bateleur
11-30-2005, 05:28 AM
Oops, nevermind! I think I managed to track these "phantom dll's" to a post by CrazyIvan in ORR.

Dumbo_AK32nd
11-30-2005, 02:51 PM
Cool sig pic, Dash_8! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Ya lucky bastage!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Dash_8
12-01-2005, 05:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dumbo_AK32nd:
Cool sig pic, Dash_8! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

About the sig pic, It was taken by a friend of the Captains at State College Airport (where Penn State University is) a few years ago. I was the First Officer Flying it that day and we are just comming over the threshold of the runway in the picture. It is an uncontrolled field so she was able to get close enough to the runway to get a good close up of our Dash 8 landing.

I had my brother, who has a degree in Computer Animation and Modeling, photoshop it a bit to remove some of the haze that was obscuring Mount Nittany in the background. The Visibility was much worse that day than the picture shows.

1.JaVA_Hornet
12-04-2005, 10:45 AM
I do use the forceware 81.87 driver.
And it rocks!