PDA

View Full Version : OT: This is how an FPS game should be...

TheGozr
06-23-2006, 12:06 AM
yes look here

http://www.gozr.net/iocl/viewtopic.php?p=9640#9640

TheGozr
06-23-2006, 12:06 AM
yes look here

http://www.gozr.net/iocl/viewtopic.php?p=9640#9640

GAU-8
06-23-2006, 01:03 AM
i knew it would happen to a FPS shooter .

FINALLY!

now i have been tracking the BIS forums for a while, and iknew about naturalpoints involvement with ARMA, but it was cool to see external head movement. going to make playing in a squad so much better now. especially that on comms, one will say "ROGER!" but you turn, and see his head shking "OOOH NOES!" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif

FritzGryphon
06-23-2006, 03:12 AM
Wow, and all this time I thought a soldier's head was glued to his gun.

Dew-Claw
06-23-2006, 03:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FritzGryphon:
Wow, and all this time I thought a soldier's head was glued to his gun. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Duh! Glued to the head.
I always thought I was carrying it in my mouth.

WWSensei
06-23-2006, 04:24 AM
Been playing Half Life 2 with trackIR (was part of the Beta team) for over a year now. Was a little quirky at first and not quite as natural transition as flying but I prefer it now.

SeaFireLIV
06-23-2006, 04:41 AM
It`s taken longer than it should for FPS` to use TIR. In fact, I think just about every tipe of game could use, like strategy games such as Rome Total war, anything where you could save using the mouse or keyboard to move to another part of the screen.

But, WWSensei, you`re kidding me. Does HL2 really use TIR? I`ve got it, but never saw a TIR option?

WWSensei
06-23-2006, 05:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
But, WWSensei, you`re kidding me. Does HL2 really use TIR? I`ve got it, but never saw a TIR option? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not natively. Natural Point did a non-released mod. I was part of the beta team that tested it. I believe it was used as a sales pitch tool for other FPS makers to include native support.

karost
06-23-2006, 05:06 AM
yes it is a time for TIR making online FPS people feel "Hot"

and becareful don't move your head nock to the keyboard when you have to find a cover when your oppoent shoot you in online FPS ... LOL

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Lucius_Esox
06-23-2006, 11:20 AM
You could move your head independantly in Operation Flashpoint albeit without Track IR

Vacillator
06-23-2006, 11:48 AM
@ WWSensei - a non-released mod? Who do we have to beg to to get it released? What was your opinion of it? It justs seems like a natural (pun intended) progression to me...

Hashmark13
06-23-2006, 12:11 PM
ArmA isn't really a shooter.. it's almost as tactical/complex as IL2, so TIR was mandatory.

WWSensei
06-23-2006, 01:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vacillator:
@ WWSensei - a non-released mod? Who do we have to beg to to get it released? What was your opinion of it? It justs seems like a natural (pun intended) progression to me... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah they didn't release it because as a mod it wasn't fully supported in the program....think early trackIR subbing as the mouse look in the early days in terms of quality.

It wasn't intended to be a finished product because the quality wasn't the highest but it was a good proof of concept for them to show.

Using it could be done in a few different kind of ways and you had to ignore the fact you didn't have a properly modelled 3D body (you learn real quick how little of ole Gordan they modelled).

It was neat to use TIR to lean around corners and shoot the guards or run down a hallway and look over your shoulder.

There were times it could be a bit glitchy but I do believe it did well at E3 a year or so ago as a demo to other FPS makers.

Vacillator
06-24-2006, 03:24 AM
Thanks WWSensei, interesting stuff. I can imagine the limitations in a game not designed for it.