PDA

View Full Version : Hey, Oleg will we get an air traffic controller?

Hawgdog
04-12-2006, 07:13 AM
I was in a server that had 45+ fliers. They only had two friendly runways, at anyone time there were 10++ landing, taking off etc.
The servers settings were full difficulty.
How about the server getting ONE guy who would serve as a dedicated traffic controller. Maybe externals to allow him "radar" of sorts.
As I hear rumors of 60+ servers on the horizon, how in the h3ll will it keep organized? Jocking hard left, hard right in a jug you'll never get enough speed to get up. Virtual wrench spinner to ride on the wing, ctrl+k you can kick him off the wing as you get rolling?

Hawgdog
04-12-2006, 07:13 AM
I was in a server that had 45+ fliers. They only had two friendly runways, at anyone time there were 10++ landing, taking off etc.
The servers settings were full difficulty.
How about the server getting ONE guy who would serve as a dedicated traffic controller. Maybe externals to allow him "radar" of sorts.
As I hear rumors of 60+ servers on the horizon, how in the h3ll will it keep organized? Jocking hard left, hard right in a jug you'll never get enough speed to get up. Virtual wrench spinner to ride on the wing, ctrl+k you can kick him off the wing as you get rolling?

VVS-Manuc
04-12-2006, 07:18 AM
do you think anyone would follow the ATC's orders? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

VFA-25_Cobain
04-12-2006, 07:27 AM
Sounds like a good idea, but as Manuc said, not many people would listen. But we already have static cameras that could be used.

Brain32
04-12-2006, 08:12 AM
I think a separate static camera view would make things a lot easier. I mean if it could be made available with other externals disabled.

Hawgdog
04-12-2006, 08:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VVS-Manuc:
do you think anyone would follow the ATC's orders? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If the controller was sitting behind a bofors, yes. I think he would be paid attention to. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

stathem
04-12-2006, 08:33 AM
Funny, we were laughing about that on WC TS the other week. I volunteered to do it (the ATC role) since it's probably more suited to my flying skills than being a fighter pilot.

Zoom2136
04-12-2006, 09:50 AM
What about a wing over view to simulate the said mechanic on u're wing...

Hawgdog
04-12-2006, 10:12 AM
Something.
I suck at negotiating a crowded runway. Some planes are easier, sure- but..the ones I seem to get stuck in its like letting a 4 foot tall pilot in my seat.

Chuck_Older
04-12-2006, 10:14 AM
Hmmm...many pilot reports from the '40s indicate that ATC was not very advanced and even missing almost entirely. Pilots would sometimes land even if told to go 'round

Popey109
04-12-2006, 01:04 PM
Controler enabled...it would give one player friendly icons in mini map desplaying hight and flight number! Maybe something for BoB

stansdds
04-12-2006, 05:58 PM
So the ATC tells me to go around and I land anyway, what's he going to do? Make me takeoff and fly the pattern again? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Hawgdog
04-12-2006, 06:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stansdds:
So the ATC tells me to go around and I land anyway, what's he going to do? Make me takeoff and fly the pattern again? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If he was sitting in a Whirbelwind, I'd bet you'd at least make sure he was looking the other way.
Nothing like 4 20mm turret to get the boys to play nice. And the same time taking care of vulchers..
mmmm, "flyable" Whirbelwind.....

Nimits
04-12-2006, 07:05 PM
A workable 1940s-type GCI system would be good (and really necessary if we are going to simulate the BoB). For online play, it could be player manned and controlled, and some ATC capability tacked on as well . . .

WTE_Galway
04-12-2006, 10:16 PM
seems things have changed since i was last online

in the "old days" people took off from taxiways and left runways free for landings .. seemed to keep things fairly tidy

whiteladder
04-13-2006, 03:09 AM
As is ATC can work quite well as long as the people on the server follow some very simple rules. Such as:

1) Every body either in the pattern or on the ground has their nav lights on.

2) Before pulling onto the runway people check each way for landing/taking off aircraft.

3) If you are landing give your team a warning when on finals.

4)In the server brief encourage people to use the same direction for landing and takeoff.

I think improved ATC option would be good for BOB, how would I get people to follow the ATC commands simple give the controller admin rights and let them kick rule breakers.

Pig_Mac
04-14-2006, 06:46 AM
View from guy 'on the wing' would be really handy on full real. If you never been on the map before it's really hard to know where to taxi, and who not to taxi into, at least when everything is green or white.

WWSensei
04-14-2006, 08:11 AM
Actually, there are a ton of objects in the game that could be utilized to make airfield navigation and establish take off and landing patterns.

Most map deisgners are simply too ill informed or too lazy to do them.

Fly the Valhalla server from Finland if you want an example of how just a few ground objects added to an airfield can make a world of difference.

F16_Petter
04-14-2006, 01:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Fly the Valhalla server from Finland if you want an example of how just a few ground objects added to an airfield can make a world of difference. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Finland?
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

slipBall
04-14-2006, 04:12 PM
There is nothing I hate more than the guy's that spawn, roll out, never looking, trying to pass the guy ahead of him, to beat him to the runway, taking off from anything but the runway, hitting what ever is in the way, not looking out for plane's on final approach. I could go on, but I feel much better now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

p.s. need dedicated traffic cop http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Pig_Mac
04-14-2006, 04:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">There is nothing I hate more than the guy's that spawn, roll out, never looking, trying to pass the guy ahead of him, to beat him to the runway, taking off from anything but the runway, hitting what ever is in the way, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's worse when someone spawn right in front of you, while you're already rolling in that direction, and have no time to brake and/or avoid the collition. None of the involved can really do something about it if you don't know there is a probable spawn position just in front of you.

Bad 'takeoff manners' will still exist even if ATC tries to bring order to chaos. If everyone is taking off on the taxiway and on the grass you're sadly safer doing the same thing http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Two wrongs might save two planes in situations like that, instead of not make one right.

Hawgdog
04-14-2006, 08:46 PM
How many times I gotta say "middle is for landing"
But those rippers...the ones that fire it up, and start ripping whatever way the plane is pointed, LOL....bastids

Recon_609IAP
04-16-2006, 08:26 AM
let's start simple - like no 'instant spawning' when you are rolling in a dogfight server. I hate spawn deaths.

Yog_Shoggoth
04-16-2006, 06:25 PM
They could just make planes have no colision detection with other planes on the runway. I don't play online but it seems like that would solve the problem.

Hawgdog
04-16-2006, 09:12 PM
Had a pisser of a time in a server that was crowded, most of us in P-47's. Quite a few crack ups.
Cant imagine the blue side with 190s' on a dirt field.

Wolf-Strike
04-16-2006, 10:24 PM
How about this,when you spawn you are on a waiting list.When your finally sitting in cockpit your sitting right off runway.The ATC tells you taxi to runway so you fire up and you know theres noone there in front of you.Once in position you wait for ATC to give takeoff command.Seems like it would feel like a real ATC even though its by computer.

What I would love to see is ability to radio tower and ask for coordinates to enemy fighters,coordinates to airfield etc.And have a super realistic voice relaying back info to you.

GAU-8
04-17-2006, 02:20 AM
if your ATC, its not about the people who WONT or arent listening to you ..its about WHO IS!

one of the better reasons to join COMMS. you cant do ANYTHING to get someone to LISTEN to you if they cant, or DONT want to. but you can INFORM those that have something nasty heading thier way, and they will LISTEN. if i say "hold short of runway , we have inbound emergency landing" im pretty sure nobody that is on comms wants to risk rolling forward to kill themselves.

self preservation works wonders.