PDA

View Full Version : Hey James Dietz

Chuck_Older
01-01-2006, 02:16 PM
This is so blindingly obvious it's embarrassing:

have you tried your hand at skinning aircraft?

Chuck_Older
01-01-2006, 02:16 PM
This is so blindingly obvious it's embarrassing:

have you tried your hand at skinning aircraft?

jamesdietz
01-01-2006, 07:06 PM
No ...I'm afraid I'd be all virtual thumbs...I love to download the beauties found here & there ( whatever became of Il-2 Skins???)& I get a kick out of using the different ones I've collected...but me do 'em I'd have to have a complete tutorial with someone standing over my shoulder saying "Now do this...Now do that!" & even then I'd look around for a real brush &real paint...
Honestly I have done profiles before but you'd have to look back a long ways in the old Aero Pictorials done in the '70s.They were the first get paid for professional work I did out of Art Center & I'm still waiting for the second half payment of $150.00,but I'm beginning to believe it may never come...

Chuck_Older
01-01-2006, 07:22 PM
That's too bad. Maybe you should re-consider. It's not that hard to use the editting software, honestly, but there is a learning curve no doubt. With an artist's knowledge of correct colors and contrasts, and your research background too, you'd have quite an advantage. Although I have to admit, I just got Photoshop Elements for Christmas, and if I didn't know anything about basic photo editting...I'd be banging my head on the wall. The instructions are practically useless. I know the basics, but it still took a lot of clicking on various things to see what would happen just to save a file in the right color depth! I'm not afraid to click buttons, I have this wild idea that I can fix the PC if I screw it up http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif Technical writing is hard, but Jeez, they should make an effort for Pete's sake! For instance, they run down the various types of file you can save a photo as...but do they mention what those files actually do, or preclude you from doing? Nope. So hey, you get to figure out that saving as a RGB makes the skin too big all on your own, and that if yiu use Indexed Colors, you can save as an 8bit BMP which makes the skin work. Hey fun. maybe a mention of what color depth works with what file would have been nice...

Il2skins is still in re-development. The good news is, that when I check to see when the bills are due for the site every few months, the bill has been paid and a new due date is (I forget where, I just right click on some various elements and check the properties and one thing or another tells me when the license fee is due) replacing the old one. So the intent to get the site back up is still there it seems to me. Sharx moved to another country last year, I beleive, and his free time isn't what it used to be. Keep your fingers crossed!

bird_brain
01-01-2006, 08:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
Sharx moved to another country last year, I beleive, and his free time isn't what it used to be. Keep your fingers crossed! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
He's in Merida, Mexico, right up the road from Cancun. Priorities change down there. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

wayno7777
01-02-2006, 08:57 PM
Similar to moving to Hawaii....