PDA

View Full Version : Will both versions of PF be compatible online?

Clan_Graham
10-05-2004, 04:25 PM
I just read that there will be two versions of PF released.
One that will install into your IL-2/FB folder so you can use all the planes from both games...and one that will be a stand alone game that gives you just the plane list from PF.

My question is this...Will online servers be able to mix the two versions?
If I have the stand alone PF version will I be able to join servers that have players using the mixed install with the expanded plane list?

Thanks.

IV_JG51_Razor
10-05-2004, 04:45 PM
No. That's why Oleg is providing for both installations. Those PTO purists who don't want to ever see a 190 in one of their servers will have the ability to log onto only PF games, and those who want the flexibility of all that comes in both games, can log onto those combo servers.

IMHO, this was a HUGE gimmie to this community on the part of Oleg. It has precluded the requirement for all who want to fly only in PF, the neccessity to buy IL-2FB/AEP. Something to think about for all those who have ever cast dispersions in Oleg's direction in the past about actually trying to make some extra money off of all of us poor, addicted flight simmers http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

VW-IceFire
10-05-2004, 04:46 PM
I'm hoping a large group stay with the AEP/PF hybrid. That'll be the best option for me I think...don't have room for two installs http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

IV_JG51_Razor
10-05-2004, 05:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
I'm hoping a large group stay with the AEP/PF hybrid. That'll be the best option for me I think...don't have room for two installs http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, I don't think you'll have to worry about that IceFire. There's just too much in both simms to separate them. Too many great possibilities for recreating other theaters of operation, such as the Med, or Norway. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif My guess is that the pure PF servers/coops in HL will be very lightly populated compared to the combined servers/coops.

Stanger_361st
10-05-2004, 05:58 PM
Correct me if im wrong but even though most of the time you want only Pacific planes you are still better off install into FB. Because even with both installs the server can still dictate the plane set. I can have my Pacific instelled into FB and still limit to pacific because.
1. Coops Server dictates mission ie Planeset.
2. Dogfights- You dictate planeset in you dogfight mission.

I will be a Pacific purist most of time. But I think it was a great desicion to allow other planes for all simmers to choose. Fun is what it is all about.

Only negative I heard some rumor not sure if true that only Stand alone installs will have the ability to host the 128 planes. If this is not true, It will be better for the community to all have the addon install this will limit the amount of servers to go into.
Here again if I have addon installed I can still limit planeset so lets keep this simple for the community. Hopefully the Pacific purist will recognized this and do the addon.

IV_JG51_Razor
10-05-2004, 06:13 PM
I think that some of the more vocal of the "purists", were merely whining about having to purchase the AEP add-on, or the whole IL-2 series in order to enjoy PF. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Be that as it may, it seems that we all got our cake, and are going to get to start eating it soon!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I have yet to hear any rumors about the 128 player server being only for pure PF installations. If anything, it would make more sense for it to be for the combo install. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

LuckyBoy1
10-05-2004, 10:33 PM
I just want to clarify if I should just go buy Pacific Thingy when it gets released 11/20/2004 (which by the way was my release date guess 6 months ago!) or do I wait for some other version so I can use it with ACE? My understanding is no waiting is needed, but I'm triple checking; am I right?

Also, I've been wondering about the hype over 128 players. I can like add, and I've got like 10 fingers and 10 toes, so it gets difficult for me after that. Fortunately, Cousin Billy gave me a calculator. With more complex and demanding missions and stutter and lag being a real drag on carrier takeoffs and landings, let's see, my best SWAG at this goes...

128 players X 24KB per second download and upload capability = 3.072 Mb per second up and down needed by all players to prevent serious warping. Cool! We are all moving to Japan!!!!! Because short of that, you'll never see a game where that IP pipeline capacity is met!

IV_JG51_Razor
10-06-2004, 08:41 AM
I guess I just don't understand all I should about this multiplayer stuff. Luckyboy, why do you say that about the 128 player server? I have played on WarBirds with over 250 folks in one arena, and no more lag, or warp than I see in IL-2. Assuming we're talking about a DF server, what is the difference???

EDIT: Yeah, as I understand it, the box will come with two versions; one for a standalone installation, and one to install over IL-2FB/AEP

Obi_Kwiet
10-06-2004, 12:55 PM
IL2 has 50x times better graphics, FM, ect.

Aeronautico
10-06-2004, 05:37 PM
Hold on!

PF clients won't be able to joing PF/FB servers, but the other way round YES! That is what I recall I read from either Oleg or Luthier.

Then: there is ONLY one PF on sale, which can be either installed as a stand-alone, or as an add-on. Choice during installation.

Again: the 128 players' net code is the same as the current, or slightly optimized. Only difference is in the readme file there are explainations in detail how to properly set hard and software to deal with it.

Aeronautico
10-06-2004, 05:40 PM
And as I was saying somewhere else, to answer some of your questions, just think at PF/FB combo as PF but with FB planes, maps, campaigns and missions added: EVERYTHING about PF will work on FB maps.
They are not "two games, two codes" in one!

BSS_Vidar
10-06-2004, 09:59 PM
I am a purist when it comes to PF and will mostly fly on pure servers. However, with this option to load both versions on the same hard drive, I will no doubt indulge in a dogfight with my trusty Corsair against the LW once in a great while just for S's & G's.
Besides, I don't think all the updated graphics will be included in the add-on version. Just plane-sets, missions, and maps. Therefore, the water and land should look the same. But a pure PF server will have the awesome water and new trees and such.

IV_JG51_Razor
10-06-2004, 11:44 PM
I don't know Herr Vidar, I asked that very question not long ago, and was told that all the graphics changes, as well as any other changes/enhancements to PF will also "patch" FB. So, anything that has been improved in PF, will also be seen in FB for those who install PF over FB/AEP.

BSS_Vidar
10-07-2004, 07:28 AM
Hope you're right Razor. But I'm not sure if it's gonna happen from what Ive seen or heard. Guess we'll all find out when it hits the shelves.

S!