PDA

View Full Version : AEM settigns for various planes?

Izzy5
04-05-2005, 04:43 AM
Is there a website out there that lists things like ideal throttle and rpm settings for various flight modes (econo cruise, best cruise, combat) and which AC have things like manual superchargers, mixture control, etc in PF? I know there were some details like that in the docs for FB but they weren't that detailed and I can't find anything at all for PF.

I get a much bigger kick flying with all the advance engine stuff turned on but I'm sure I'm not getting the best out of my AC due to having very little idea of the most efficient settings - although at least when flying planes with instrumentation in english and red lines on the throttle and rpm gauges I can muddle out enough not to trash the engine right off the runway.

Any help or pointers in the right direction on these matters greatly recieved.

Cheers

Izzy

Izzy5
04-05-2005, 04:43 AM
Is there a website out there that lists things like ideal throttle and rpm settings for various flight modes (econo cruise, best cruise, combat) and which AC have things like manual superchargers, mixture control, etc in PF? I know there were some details like that in the docs for FB but they weren't that detailed and I can't find anything at all for PF.

I get a much bigger kick flying with all the advance engine stuff turned on but I'm sure I'm not getting the best out of my AC due to having very little idea of the most efficient settings - although at least when flying planes with instrumentation in english and red lines on the throttle and rpm gauges I can muddle out enough not to trash the engine right off the runway.

Any help or pointers in the right direction on these matters greatly recieved.

Cheers

Izzy

Izzy5
04-06-2005, 03:51 AM
Should I take it from the fact that various folks have read this thread but nobody is answering that I have hit upon one of the great unaswerable questions of PF..?

Or are you all just coming to marvel at the stupid noob asking the question everyone else knows the answer to from birth..? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Kyril1959
04-06-2005, 06:33 AM
Hardball's Aircraft viewer, IL2 manager, get em here: http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/IL2_PF/pf_essential_files.htm

Kyril1959
04-06-2005, 06:36 AM
Also some very good guides, complex engine management included. http://www.airwarfare.com/guides.htm

Tallyho1961
04-06-2005, 07:04 AM
I asked the same question a few weeks ago and nothing much turned up - the various CEM guides that I've seen discuss the principles of CEM without getting into engine-specific recommendations.

You'll find it impossible to find RPM settings for many of the a/c - at least I haven't come across any. Some are listed in the FB manual, but that was early on and the majority are missing. The FB manual also lists the altitudes at which to switch supercharger stages, which you will want to know.

I usually just make sure that, if the pitch is adjustable, I increase it by a few notches after takeoff until the engine sounds more comfortable as the RPMs drop. I use my manifold pressure gauge or boost gauge to choose a 'reasonable' throttle setting when cruising to or from a combat zone.

The previous two settings make quite a bit of difference to your heat management - I watch my temperature gauge and if I see it rising, I back off somewhere until it drops back down.

I also fly with the cowl flaps or cooling shutters wide open until I'm about to engage, at which point I close them.

I generally fly American and British a/c so I haven't had to learn mixture adjustment yet.

Izzy5
04-06-2005, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the answers guys. That plane viewer is great, although it still doesn't give any info about good throttle/rpm settings. I'm a bit puzzled as to why there is nothing in the PF manual about them. The developers must have at least some data like that for each plane, and they included stuff like that in the manual for IL-2/FB.

There should be a sticky thread somewhere so folks can post any settings they find work for them in particular planes. I stumbled upon some realworld data for the Mk xi spitfire the other day while tootling around on the web. I shall try to locate it again.

A friend of a friend flew spits just after the war - maybe I should make some inquiries there.

mortoma
04-06-2005, 08:12 PM
Neither that website nor Hardballs's veiwer have any mention of supercharger altitude changes, as far as what altitudes to change stages. Anybody have this info on all the aircraft?? Sure would save a ton of readme digging. I doubt I still have all the readme's anyway.

Izzy5
04-07-2005, 04:10 AM
it should be possible to work out throttle/rpm settings for things like take off, landing, standard cruising by sticking the autopilot on while in cockpit, letting the plane sort itself out and reading the figures off the various gauges once its settled into level flight again. I know some of them can be a bit hard to see as they are behind the joystick (throttle gauge on the beaufighter springs to mind), but you can usually see enough to get a reasonable idea. Any interested parties could collect data for their favorite plane/s and post it in a thread for all to see.

JunkoIfurita
04-07-2005, 05:17 AM
Well, no aircraft specifics here, but I tend to run by the golden rule for most aircraft being: keep your RPM above 2500, and below 3000. There are a few notable exceptions here (some of the biplanes, and the Mig, which runs at a crazy-low RPM).

Most of the russian aircraft are actually optimised for 100% prop pitch (the shallowest pitch, least bite). You'll notice flying a Yak that your RPM sits at about 2700: pretty optimal.

American aircraft are another story: you'll max out your RPM and burn your motor if you try and fly at a shallow prop pitch. The density of the air, whether you're climbing or diving, etc all affect the pitch you should select. So simply keep an eye on your RPM dial, if your RPM starts pushing the red line at 3000, ease off to a steeper pitch (towards 0%). If you drop below 2500, shallow the pitch (towards 100%). Just as when you drop back to 2nd on a hill to get an acceleration boost in a car, you can push your RPM beyond the safe 'cruising' speed when you need to accelerate quickly. But ease off again before too long or you'll burn your motor (in the old days, the P-40 would explode if you went into a dive on anything above 40% pitch). Note that a shallow RPM won't increase your aircraft's top speed (in fact it decreases it: think of the car analogy again). It simply makes boosts the acceleration.

German aircraft have automatic pitch propellors by default, but this system tends to the conservative side: engine life over performance. You can switch to manual prop pitch by assigning a key if you want to 'optimise' or push your rpm for an acceleration boost if you need to get out fast. But be careful, if you push a German plane over the edge the engine will die very quickly. They are designed for automation.

Some british aircraft have fixed pitch propellors: all the spitfire models in the game except for the MkV (which is also the Seafire), for example. Not sure how historical this is, but that's the way it is. You have to keep the throttle lower at a safe level, usually indicated by the manifold pressure dial. Also watch your RPM, pull the throttle off in the dive to keep from melting your motor. RAF aircraft are very prone to overheating if you don't treat them right.

----

JG53Frankyboy
04-07-2005, 06:06 AM
dont care so much about propeller settings in planes with constantspeed propellers !

in game its easy , stay at 100% , nithing will damage your engine. and at most maps you hevant to care your fuel, most planes can fly further than the maps seizes http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

just if you want reduce speed for landing ore want wait for squadmates after start to come in formation reduce both, PRMs and throttle.

very few planes with CSP do overrev in a dive , so far i rmember only the Breswters and FIATs.
all other , no proplem.

this is a game that simplifies a lot, it has to !
and about supercharger settings: check the PF readme in your instalation folder about PF planes.
and if you have the original FB CDs , i think on CD2 you can fins a PDF manual for its planes.