PDA

View Full Version : whats the difference between radiator open and radiator closed/auto

raaaid
12-07-2005, 09:14 AM
i see no difference from the outside view

raaaid
12-07-2005, 09:14 AM
i see no difference from the outside view

SlickStick
12-07-2005, 09:59 AM
Depends on the plane, as to whether you actually see the radiator flaps open or closed when in the "Radiator Open" position.

Look at the cowl flaps of a Ki-84 for example. Open radiator and you will see them flare out right begind the engine and in front of the cockpit.

However, when in 'Closed/Auto' mode, it depends on the temp of the engine as to how far the flaps are opened, because it 'automatically' adjusts the flaps to cool your engine, based on the measured temps.

Some planes you cannot discern whether the rad is open or closed from external view.

mortoma
12-07-2005, 10:32 AM
The Bf-109s have the most obvious outward sign of the different radiator positions of all the aircraft. Just look on the trailing edge of the inner part of the wings in external view, as you cycle through the positions. On some aircraft it's not noticable at all, depending on the type of radiator and where it is. With the 109s a blind person could almost see it.

Tully__
12-08-2005, 04:44 AM
If the aircraft is fitted with auto radiator, the radiator may well be open when the closed/auto setting is selected if the engine is hot enough to trigger the auto open.

SeaFireLIV
12-08-2005, 06:36 AM
You obviously haven`t looked at enough aircraft, friend.

The I16 radiater slots at the front open up.
The migs have a vent under the plane that slowly open.
The hurricane has a vent below the plane that opens.
The mig has too, below the plane.
The P38 on the sides of the plane, vent opens/closes.
The P40 has one under the plane that openscloses

And many more do, showing animation. But I`m not going to point them all out to you. The rest are for you to find.

Really, all it takes is a little bit of research, rather than randomly posting what you `think`.

chris455
12-08-2005, 11:25 AM
As stated earlier, some planes (e.g. P-39, Fw-190) are difficult to rell as to radiator flap position. Some, like my P-47, you can watch open and close from inside the cockpit!

mortoma
12-08-2005, 12:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
You obviously haven`t looked at enough aircraft, friend.

The I16 radiater slots at the front open up.
The migs have a vent under the plane that slowly open.
The hurricane has a vent below the plane that opens.
The mig has too, below the plane.
The P38 on the sides of the plane, vent opens/closes.
The P40 has one under the plane that openscloses

And many more do, showing animation. But I`m not going to point them all out to you. The rest are for you to find.

Really, all it takes is a little bit of research, rather than randomly posting what you `think`. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I never said the 109 was the only aircraft to show the affects of opening
and closing the radiator. As a matter of fact, if you can read ( and that's a big "if" ) I plainly say it depends on the aircraft. Never once said the 109 was the only aircraft that shows this. I knew about all the aircraft radiators you mention, but the 109 is the one that hit me the biggest. That's what I "THINK"!!!!

SeaFireLIV
12-08-2005, 01:09 PM
Mortoma I WASN`T talking to you. I was taliking to the original poster. Lay off the coffee.

VW-IceFire
12-08-2005, 01:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by raaaid:
i see no difference from the outside view </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You should...

Open means the radiator is open. If its a FW190 you will not see any changes as the radiator is inside the engine (sort of). Same with the La-5 and La-7 series. Many of the American radial engined fighters have big radiator flaps around the engine cowling. On the 109 you see the wing radiators open up.

Closed/Auto means that the system is running on feedback from the temperature of the system. So if the engine cools off then the radiator closes. If the engine is hot then it opens. Its automatic...asumed closed unless hot and then open.