PDA

View Full Version : Kates keep crashing

billclarke1
12-02-2004, 04:15 PM
I built up a scenairo for fun and had a mixed force of A/C attack some merchants and a lones DD. My torp armed kates keep crashing in to the water, I start them out at 300m and 300k, straight run in(on the stbd side) drop the fish at 50m, they get to a point wgere they go right wing down slightly and fly straight over the ship and crash in to the water. I have also made sure there are at least 2 more way point past the target ship.
What gives ?

JR_Greenhorn
12-02-2004, 05:47 PM
If you haven't posted this in the Mission Builder's forum, be sure to try there too.

Are the bombers releasing the torpedoes correctly? Can you pinpoint exactly where the problems start? You have them going from 300m to 50m. I assume they drop fish at 50m; what is the alt of their next waypoint?

billclarke1
12-02-2004, 06:41 PM
On the outward leg they are set to 150 metres, could the speed of 300k be the problem ?

JR_Greenhorn
12-02-2004, 07:19 PM
The speed might be the problem, but it doesn't seem like it should be. The only way to really know for sure is to change it and see what happens. Try 200kph and see if they are any different.

Are the lead-in, attack, and lead-out waypoints in a straight line? I don't know how critical that is for torp bombing, but its easier to work with normal bomber AI if those waypoints are in a line.

Are you near enough to a landmass that there may be a mountain or something that they think they'll hit? The AI can do some weird things if they are forced to fly low, but torp bombing should work pretty good after PF.

Your best bet to fix your problems is to make a single change at a time, and watch the AI play the mission. Don't just watch for the behaviour you want, but pay attention to how changes in the waypoints affect how AI behave. It can be a frustrating learning process, but if you stick with it, you'll get pretty good at working with the AI. Usually some folks here are eager to help you too, we just need as much info as you can give about whats going on and what you want.

If you get really frustrated, post the mission on the Mission Builder's forum, and someone should be able to fix it if you tell what you want. The water is slower in that forum, so be patient.

billclarke1
12-02-2004, 10:06 PM
Thanks JR, will have a go and see what transpires.

JR_Greenhorn
12-02-2004, 10:26 PM
Keep us updated. Its always helpful to know what made it finally work.

edit:
I see plumps replied in the mission Builders forum. He's the best there is when it comes to mission building advice.