PDA

View Full Version : Winning online

NHARFORD
12-28-2004, 05:48 AM
starting to play online these days so i was just wondering about a few things

1. what are the 3 or 4 "best" planes used commonly online and why?

2. when you see people in p47 and p38 do they really believe they have advantage in this plane or are they just having experimental fun in inferior planes?

3. is it common/advantageos to use the "delete" gunsight view when approaching an enemy in a head on flyby shooting.

4. how do i win these head on firefights?

5. do people use the map icons frequently? when servers allow them it is a massive advantage that i depsise yet im obliged to use it in order to not be disadvantaged, and so the map takes up a large portion of the screen. do people fly with the map always opened to see the headings of their opponents.

6. are you refueled and repaired when landing on multiplayer servers? is not why do people do it, and if so why dont they just crash, its quicker than landing.

georgeo76
12-28-2004, 06:53 AM
1. It's the pilot not the plane. But there are some AC that are more suited to the online dogfight than others. La*, Bf109, P-40, Spitfire, and zero all come to mind as examples.

2. Mostly they enjoy the AC. But know that some of them are deadly. Not to say that P47s and P38s are inferior, it's just that their strengths are not suited to online dogfights.

3. yes.

4. Only way to win a head-on pass is to avoid them. Some AC are particularly good @ head to head (Fw190), but mostly you'll want to avoid them. A head on pass gives your opponent just as much of an chance to shoot you as you have to shoot him. In addition, after the merge you're in a lousy position to get on each others six. Add the risk of collision (very common) it's just not worth it.

5. There are servers to fit all realism tastes. But I don't think that many servers/ players really use the map icons much.

6. You only get re-armed when you land and click re-fly. Yea, I guess crashing would be quicker, but it's kinda dumb, don't you think? If you don't like to land, you can choose an air-start server that allows you to re-spawn w/o landing. A server w/ unlimited fuel/ammo would eliminate the need to land also.

Weather_Man
12-28-2004, 07:03 AM
1. You'll figure that out after a while.

2. Yes. They do have an advantage if they know how to drive it. They are both fast and lethal. However, some like to fly whatever just to fly it and will not necessarily be successful.

3. Some do, some don't. I never use it.

4. You don't win a headon. You get lucky or you die. Best to avoid it alltogether. It is a bad tactic.

5. Most people who fly a while do not use map icons. They gravitate to the more "full real" servers where this is not an option. If the map icons are on, I just check it periodically for a quick looksie and never leave it up.

6. When you land, you get a new plane when you hit refly. Sort of like repaired/refueled, but not the same--you just go back to the arming screen. When you land and refly you also get points. 100 for each kill as opposed to 10 if you were to crash or be shot down. Most people find it more satisfying to land after a successful dogfight. The whole "staying alive" thing should be everyone's goal. The added points encourage that.

Schmouddle-WT
12-28-2004, 07:15 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NHARFORD:
starting to play online these days so i was just wondering about a few things

1. what are the 3 or 4 "best" planes used commonly online and why?

2. when you see people in p47 and p38 do they really believe they have advantage in this plane or are they just having experimental fun in inferior planes?

3. is it common/advantageos to use the "delete" gunsight view when approaching an enemy in a head on flyby shooting.

4. how do i win these head on firefights?

5. do people use the map icons frequently? when servers allow them it is a massive advantage that i depsise yet im obliged to use it in order to not be disadvantaged, and so the map takes up a large portion of the screen. do people fly with the map always opened to see the headings of their opponents.

6. are you refueled and repaired when landing on multiplayer servers? is not why do people do it, and if so why dont they just crash, its quicker than landing. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1/ No best planes. Ideally just planes with real advantages and disadvantages.
For begginer from each side: La family, Spit, Bf109F4 and/or G2, Ki84, A6Mx (if you dont mind it is a Imperial Japanese gas lighter(tm))

2/ These planes are not inferior. there are good in a way. Those pilots want to be better, improve their skill. A successful kill in a Jug or in Fw is worth three kills in Spit, thats why some guys fly these. I take P38 quite often online, that plane just rocks in terms of speed, climb and loadout versatility. It has its drawbacks, You just need to exploit the bright side of life... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

3/ As you wish, some do, some not.

4/ Dont get involved in head-ons. If you are about to meet enemy head-on, try to avoid fire slipping to the side or push under his nose. Head-on is a good way to get your *** (nose) kicked. Your goal is to survive and then score a kill.

5/ Each server has its settings and it is good to obey it. Flying without icons on a server which allows them puts yu in disadvantage. (Altough I know guys acting like that). I am trying avoid servers with settings too soft - your kills shall be done on account of your skill, not on account of "cheats on reality" On the other hand, soft servers can make you learn the basics, which makes them badly needed. Some day you just grow up (pilot-wise) and start to look for harder servers with more difficult settings. Check Hyperlobby, there are plenty of those.

6/ No, you not get any treatment on home base in DF, you need to hit refly. Some servers running statistics record your acts, so keep your deaths low.
In coop , when shot down youre just dead and cannot fly until the end of the mission.

The real-like behavior is called "immersion baby!" You act as the real pilot. You do not want get your *** kicked. What a feeling land your badly shot-up crate home and earn your points proudly. Understood?

However, you have the possibility to learn from your mistakes, the option real pilots never had.

WUAF_Black-Rose
12-28-2004, 07:20 AM
6 - On WarCloud, 3 death and your are kicked and banned for 5 minutes...! Dont die for nothing.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

TgD Thunderbolt56
12-28-2004, 07:27 AM
1. Whichever plane you're comfortable in and can use to its best advantage.

2. Both are superior jabo aircraft, but they can be vicious in a DF when used properly...mostly in concert with a wingman.

3. I use the zoom view extensively when tracking a distant bogey or when tracking a bandit down low. Some AC can be soooo hard to see on the deck.

4. Avoid them.

5. I don't fly on maps with icons other than minimap path. Most of the "more-frequented" servers don't allow them anyway.

6. Yes.

TB

Beirut
12-28-2004, 09:17 AM
If you want to have some fun, go up in an IL2-M3 with the 37mm cannons and look for head ons. Odds are the 109 or 190 will chip your paint or damage your controls a bit. And odds are a few rounds of 37mm will blast his plane beyond all recognition.

I love doing this. Drives the fighter jockeys nuts. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

georgeo76
12-28-2004, 09:40 AM
Anyone who's stupid enough to go head to head w/ an IL2 deserves what they get. I can't imagine that too many ppl would fall for that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Beirut:
If you want to have some fun, go up in an IL2-M3 with the 37mm cannons and look for head ons. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>