PDA

View Full Version : Height=speed ?

tora-2
12-13-2004, 03:33 PM
OK i'm pretty aware of the old adage that height is potential energy that can be converted to speed.

What I don't quite get is that certain types in the War were optimised for low level operations and achieved their top speed at low level. Thus you get low blown engines and so forth.

Is this something that is correctly modelled in the game or what did I miss ? In effect for a period in I think 1942 Focke Wulfs were able to make "tip and run" attacks at low level and outrun any fighter at that same low level. Yet as I understand it they should be able to be caught by any reasonable fighter with a significant altitude advantage. Yet until the Typhoon came along these raids were almost impossible to intercept.

In similar vein Mosquito raids were made with fighter bombers optimised for low level attack which could only rarely be caught. Yet as far as i can see, most Luftwaffe fighters could achieve higher speeds in a dive than any Mosquito with little altitude just reliant on its low level speed ( which was admittedly good ).

Sorry to ask.but what did I miss out ?

tora-2
12-13-2004, 03:33 PM
OK i'm pretty aware of the old adage that height is potential energy that can be converted to speed.

What I don't quite get is that certain types in the War were optimised for low level operations and achieved their top speed at low level. Thus you get low blown engines and so forth.

Is this something that is correctly modelled in the game or what did I miss ? In effect for a period in I think 1942 Focke Wulfs were able to make "tip and run" attacks at low level and outrun any fighter at that same low level. Yet as I understand it they should be able to be caught by any reasonable fighter with a significant altitude advantage. Yet until the Typhoon came along these raids were almost impossible to intercept.

In similar vein Mosquito raids were made with fighter bombers optimised for low level attack which could only rarely be caught. Yet as far as i can see, most Luftwaffe fighters could achieve higher speeds in a dive than any Mosquito with little altitude just reliant on its low level speed ( which was admittedly good ).

Sorry to ask.but what did I miss out ?

berg417448
12-13-2004, 03:39 PM
Coming in a high speed and low level they evaded radar. They made their attacks and were gone almost before they were detected.

effte
12-14-2004, 02:20 AM
It is hard spotting an aircraft skimming the ground at high speed from high above. If you do spot it, if that aircraft is faster you have quite a limited range in which you will be able to catch up with it if you dive. If the aircraft is not in this sector, forget it. If it is in range and you do dive in on it, you have one shot at getting it. Miss that opportunity, and you will see the target aircraft disappear into the distance.

To successfully intercept these low-altitude fast attack aircraft with a slower aircraft diving in was not impossible, just very, very unlikely.