PDA

View Full Version : OT: Better off buying a new printer??

mortoma
08-19-2007, 04:16 PM
I have an older Lexmark printer I bought about '01 or 02' and it uses an IEEE parallel connector type, instead of the newer USB. I want
to be able to print from my laptop which I got this spring. Of course laptops don't have IEEE ports anymore. I saw some converter cables on the market that can convert parallel to USB but is it worthwhile?? They cost about $40.00US!! Should I just go out and get a new printer? My old one prints well but it was a cheapy, even back when I bought it.

mortoma
08-19-2007, 04:16 PM
I have an older Lexmark printer I bought about '01 or 02' and it uses an IEEE parallel connector type, instead of the newer USB. I want
to be able to print from my laptop which I got this spring. Of course laptops don't have IEEE ports anymore. I saw some converter cables on the market that can convert parallel to USB but is it worthwhile?? They cost about $40.00US!! Should I just go out and get a new printer? My old one prints well but it was a cheapy, even back when I bought it.

Viper2005_
08-19-2007, 04:24 PM
new printer

depalmer
08-19-2007, 04:36 PM
Ditto what Viper2005 said. You can buy new printers (granted not a high end one) for about the same price. Just checked Newegg and you can get a new printer for under $29.00. It's not cost effective to keep the old printer.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828106425

rockgardenlove
08-19-2007, 04:42 PM
Watch out for those $30 printers...they're cheap, and good quality, yes, but they BURN you on the ink prices. That's how they make their money.

Waldo.Pepper
08-19-2007, 05:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rockgardenlove:
Watch out for those $30 printers...they're cheap, and good quality, yes, but they BURN you on the ink prices. That's how they make their money. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which is why you keep buying a new printer instead of ink. It is stupid and wasteful but still cheaper. I donate my old printers to charities.

Lubcke
08-19-2007, 07:32 PM
old printers needs new cartriges too...

Bearcat99
08-20-2007, 07:26 AM
I say buy a new printer.. get one that has seperate tanks for R,C,Y & B, and if you go retail get a PRP with it (product replacement plan) I look at those PRPs as printer upgrade plans. At the end of the plan I always upgrade my printer.

mortoma
08-20-2007, 07:31 AM
Bearcat you da man, I think I'll do that.

Bearcat99
08-20-2007, 01:35 PM
Good.... and when you take it back just tell them it doesnt work. If you se it with any regularity it will wear down. I had an Epson that no matter how much I cleaned the heads it wouldn't print right. No one is going to take the time to hook it up to a PC and do a test print. The seperate cartriges are usually $12-$15 a pop for the color with the B&W going for $20-$29 or there abouts. It becomes easier to just keep at least one set on hand so that when they go you can just pop it in.