PDA

View Full Version : Name movies that take place around the crusades.

adarwinter
03-10-2008, 11:11 AM
I just figured that ppl who like the era would like to go back and watch some movies that have something to do with the atmosphere and the subject of the crusades or the middle ages.

Movie buffs, this is your time to shine and dig into your memories and recommand (or just bring forth) movies that has a bit of that atmosphere of AC and the crusades in the middle ages.

i will begin :

"kingdom of heavan" - most obvious one. its not a good movie but it has great atmosphere, great final battle and special effects.

"robin hood, price of thieves" - this movie from 1991 is a corny movie but a cute one, non-the-less. the crusades are merely a background story but still it takes place at 1194, if im not mistaken.

"joan of arc" - i never watched this one, actually. i just remember it. crits slammed it but for those who like medieval movies with huge battles will prolly enjoy it.

"Braveheart" - i am not sure this one belongs here, but since i started this thread i call it "close enaugh" :P

"the 13th warrior" - this crappy movie with antonio banderas is about 12 vikings and one muslim warrior going out to fight a group of, allegedly, mystical creatures. it takes place in the middle ages, has nothing to do with crusades, but it has swords, little blood and decapitated heads.

i have a few more but i want others to mention some on their own.

adarwinter
03-10-2008, 11:11 AM
I just figured that ppl who like the era would like to go back and watch some movies that have something to do with the atmosphere and the subject of the crusades or the middle ages.

Movie buffs, this is your time to shine and dig into your memories and recommand (or just bring forth) movies that has a bit of that atmosphere of AC and the crusades in the middle ages.

i will begin :

"kingdom of heavan" - most obvious one. its not a good movie but it has great atmosphere, great final battle and special effects.

"robin hood, price of thieves" - this movie from 1991 is a corny movie but a cute one, non-the-less. the crusades are merely a background story but still it takes place at 1194, if im not mistaken.

"joan of arc" - i never watched this one, actually. i just remember it. crits slammed it but for those who like medieval movies with huge battles will prolly enjoy it.

"Braveheart" - i am not sure this one belongs here, but since i started this thread i call it "close enaugh" :P

"the 13th warrior" - this crappy movie with antonio banderas is about 12 vikings and one muslim warrior going out to fight a group of, allegedly, mystical creatures. it takes place in the middle ages, has nothing to do with crusades, but it has swords, little blood and decapitated heads.

i have a few more but i want others to mention some on their own.

ScytheOfGrim
03-10-2008, 11:34 AM
You don't seem to like many movies. xD

You might as well add the Mel Gibson "Hamlet" while you're busy adding "slightly" irrelevant movies that are "slightly" relevant because they have "slight" relevance in their use of swords and decapitations... >_>

Try saying that with a mouthful of Pepsi...
Bet it'll come outta your nose before you're done... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

adarwinter
03-10-2008, 11:50 AM
i could think of many more movies but i wanted to let someone else mention them.

i think that fantasy and rome themed movies can be included as well. anything that takes place between 1000DC to 1500DC is in http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif
(please dont point me to the fact that phantasy movies do not take place during these years. i am aware that L.O.T.R was not a part of my history class for a reason).

i just guess that ppl who are into medieval movies would be happy to peak into a thread and have an assortment of movies that they can pick from that will somewhat satisfy their thirst for this kinda flicks.

keep em coming.

spazzoo1025
03-10-2008, 01:06 PM
Braveheart isn't from the Crusades

and you spelled "enough" wrong

Feller12
03-10-2008, 01:36 PM
First off, Braveheart way before the crusades. Joan of Arc not even close. just because the movie is about knights or medieval europe doesn't mean it's about the crusades. Kingdom of Heaven, and Robin Hood is kind of about the crusades, but it takes entirely in England. Movies about Shakespeare's Henrys and Richards kind of deal with them, but not really. The crusades are a touchy topic, and hard to make a movie without pissing a lot of people off. Oh and 13th warrior is about Vikings and is about 200 years before the first crusade.

adarwinter
03-10-2008, 03:55 PM
oh jeese ppl, arent u picky.
instead of naming movies that u liked u pick to deal with weather the movies stated above are about or not about crusades.
i was referring to movies from the medieval era and u took things too literally... and too the fun out of this thread. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

p.s. im sorry for misspelling "enough" wrong. english is not my first language... hebrew is.

caswallawn_2k7
03-10-2008, 04:11 PM
you want a film set in ye oldy times you cant beat "the life of brian" or "monty pythons holy grail" lol

adarwinter
03-10-2008, 05:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by caswallawn_2k7:
you want a film set in ye oldy times you cant beat "the life of brian" or "monty pythons holy grail" lol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

u mean - "the life of bWian", right? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

caswallawn_2k7
03-10-2008, 05:03 PM
but he's not the messiah he's a very naughty boy.

Easy72
03-10-2008, 06:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ScytheOfGrim:
You don't seem to like many movies. xD

You might as well add the Mel Gibson "Hamlet" while you're busy adding "slightly" irrelevant movies that are "slightly" relevant because they have "slight" relevance in their use of swords and decapitations... &gt;_&gt;

Try saying that with a mouthful of Pepsi...
Bet it'll come outta your nose before you're done... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol, agreed, 13th warrior was a great movie, and I don't think it may have been the same time period, just a totally differtent setting.

scotty0351
03-10-2008, 07:37 PM
Braveheart belongs since you are including middle aged themed movies because it takes place between 1280 and 1307.

Kingdom of Heaven started out well but then they really focused on story too much and didn't show that much fighting scenes.

adarwinter
03-11-2008, 01:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by scotty0351:
Braveheart belongs since you are including middle aged themed movies because it takes place between 1280 and 1307. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
thank you. finally someone know understands me.
if anything, joan of arc is the one that doesnt belong. i think the revolution it is talking about takes place at the late 15th century. i think it is 1490 DC or something.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Kingdom of Heaven started out well but then they really focused on story too much and didn't show that much fighting scenes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah... damn movies that focus on a story. who needs a story when we can watch heads roll without a body?
talking about gore, have u seen "pathfinder"? it isnt a good movie but tons of great CGI blood and gore.

MoveMeant
03-11-2008, 01:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Feller12:
First off, Braveheart way before the crusades. Joan of Arc not even close. just because the movie is about knights or medieval europe doesn't mean it's about the crusades. Kingdom of Heaven, and Robin Hood is kind of about the crusades, but it takes entirely in England. Movies about Shakespeare's Henrys and Richards kind of deal with them, but not really. The crusades are a touchy topic, and hard to make a movie without pissing a lot of people off. Oh and 13th warrior is about Vikings and is about 200 years before the first crusade. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you want to act a smart guy, what about having you'r facts straight? Braveheart is about the first war of scottish independence (which lasted from 1296-1328 A.D.). The 13'th warrior is more fantasy than history - it's about vikings clad in platearmor killing wicked men/creatures with late medieval weapons for god's sake!

scotty0351
03-11-2008, 02:02 PM
I think that is partly why Kingdom of Heaven didn't do that well in the US box office but the movie 300 did. Off course I wasn't buying Orlando Bloom as a top fighting knight either and shouldn't have been cast as lead actor.

Maybe the director (Ridley Scott) will get it right when he films the Robin Hood remake titled Nottingham. If the movie focuses on fighting it should do well in the theaters.

Justice
03-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Arn - Tempelriddaren
(Arn: The Knight Templar)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0837106/

Not seen it, but it deffinatly is from the Crusades although half of the movie is set in Sweden. Some folks say the movie is great, some that it is horrible. The later mainly being folks who, as I, have read the books or folks searching for a Hack'n Slash film.
One nice aspect of that movie is that they talk Arabic while in Arabia, Swedish while in Sweden and Latin in the monastaries.

- I'm pretty sure that the Kingdom of Heaven horror stole quite a bit of it's plot from the Arn books.

adarwinter
03-11-2008, 04:49 PM
interesting , justice.
thanks a lot for this heads up.
i will look for this one, though it seems very hard to find. even rotten tomatoes has nothing on it.

strange... such an annonimous movie...

Easy72
03-12-2008, 07:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MoveMeant:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Feller12:
First off, Braveheart way before the crusades. Joan of Arc not even close. just because the movie is about knights or medieval europe doesn't mean it's about the crusades. Kingdom of Heaven, and Robin Hood is kind of about the crusades, but it takes entirely in England. Movies about Shakespeare's Henrys and Richards kind of deal with them, but not really. The crusades are a touchy topic, and hard to make a movie without pissing a lot of people off. Oh and 13th warrior is about Vikings and is about 200 years before the first crusade. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you want to act a smart guy, what about having you'r facts straight? Braveheart is about the first war of scottish independence (which lasted from 1296-1328 A.D.). The 13'th warrior is more fantasy than history - it's about vikings clad in platearmor killing wicked men/creatures with late medieval weapons for god's sake! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was fantasy....is was just fictional, the 13 warriors were vikings, and I still don't know where it took place, so I have no idea who the crazy people were. They just wore animal heads and fur, nothing fantasy about it.

MoveMeant
03-13-2008, 10:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Easy72:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MoveMeant:

If you want to act a smart guy, what about having you'r facts straight? Braveheart is about the first war of scottish independence (which lasted from 1296-1328 A.D.). The 13'th warrior is more fantasy than history - it's about vikings clad in platearmor killing wicked men/creatures with late medieval weapons for god's sake! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was fantasy....is was just fictional, the 13 warriors were vikings, and I still don't know where it took place, so I have no idea who the crazy people were. They just wore animal heads and fur, nothing fantasy about it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uhm, Vikings clad in breastplates? yeah right, like that ever happened + well... the evil guys in the movie probably didn't exist. Indeed the movie is taking place in some world which is somewhat looking as ours, but really, look closer and it has nothing to do with ours...

iPlunder
03-13-2008, 01:41 PM
Pulp Fiction, Rocky 3, Back door ****s 9.