PDA

View Full Version : How to fly the Mustang

Sama51
12-26-2005, 09:40 PM
Of all the Red birds, the P-51 seems to suit my fancy. But being a very green pilot, I was hoping some seasoned vets could give me a few tips and guide lines to to increase my chances atleast somewhere above nil of survivng.

So... how should this bird be properly flown?

Sama51
12-26-2005, 09:40 PM
Of all the Red birds, the P-51 seems to suit my fancy. But being a very green pilot, I was hoping some seasoned vets could give me a few tips and guide lines to to increase my chances atleast somewhere above nil of survivng.

So... how should this bird be properly flown?

HotelBushranger
12-26-2005, 09:41 PM
With height for starters...thats about all I can give you at the moment http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif

LStarosta
12-26-2005, 09:46 PM
As one wise man once said, be sure to press the G button after take-off.

p1ngu666
12-26-2005, 09:50 PM
fly a razerback (b/c/MKIII) there still wobbly, but less so.

try and keep the speed high, not get low (its really killer4u down low.

fly the MKIII if u can, thats the fastest plane in the game

or just fly a 190/p47 until the p51 hasnt got the handling of death

corvette93
12-26-2005, 09:57 PM
I fly luft, but have had enough run ins with P 51's, usually to my sorrow. Fly it high, 5000m at least and stay fast. If you go low, you will probably be in trouble.

Sama51
12-26-2005, 10:09 PM
So at altitude, how does it (not including the MkIII) contend speed wise against 190s and 109s?

neural_dream
12-26-2005, 10:10 PM
Sama51, the link under my sig will help you.

ColoradoBBQ
12-26-2005, 10:43 PM
The P-51 flies best between 3000 to 4400 meters for the first stage superharger and 6000 to 8000 meters for the second stage supercharger. At those heights, it is very competive against Fw-190s and Bf-109s since at those heights, speed (or energy) is more important than turning performance.

Pick out fights where you can have a decent energy advantage over a bandit. If you have to go in low, go in fast and take a shot. Do not try to win a fight by turning at low altitude since you will lose too much energy to bug out.

Keep your speed above 250 MPH or 400 KPH indicated for the first stage supercharger.

Pull into the turn, do not yank the stick. Try to fight more in the verticle, ie: Yo-yos, rolling or verticle scissors, etc.

joeap
12-27-2005, 04:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ColoradoBBQ:
The P-51 flies best between 3000 to 4400 meters for the first stage superharger and 6000 to 8000 meters for the second stage supercharger.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All good advice including your post Colorado, but does the P-51 have a supercharger??? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif Well I mean a manual one I suppose it has an auto SC which the player can't control.

ColoradoBBQ
12-27-2005, 08:38 AM
Yes, the plane has a automatic two-stage supercharger. The second gear kicks in at 6000 M.

JG52Karaya-X
12-27-2005, 11:10 AM
As with every other plane ingame the Mustang is best used with a wingman. Especially going onto a server like greatergreen or WC without someone backing you up will get you killed quite fast!

An important thing on the Mustang is convergence - I normally use 250m but you can also try lower values. The .50s are very useful for killing an opponents engine and/or killing the pilot. On the other hand they aren't even close to the 20 or 30mm in inflicting structural damage/failures.

If you have the choice between the whole Pony family, I'd pick the Mustang Mk.III. It has the weak armament of the B/C series but is the next best thing to the jets on the deck (speed wise) and if you fly it right it can be your life insurance. It's climb and zoom climb aren't to be disregarded either! It also has the excellent high speed handling the Mustang is known for - but don't try to turn with Bf109s at slow speeds, they will eat you alive.

To make it short:
Altitude + Speed + Surprise = Easy kill

Airmail109
12-27-2005, 11:19 AM
The Mustang MK III is an absaloutely brilliant fighter, I have killed many an LA7 in it whilst energy fighting. It picks up speed far more quickly than most planes in a shallow dive as well....use that to your advantage....try and make your opponent bleed E whiilst you retain it....and then use slashing attacks....eg lets say you cant turn inside a 109 as your closing in on him fast....instead of bleeding E....go outside his turning circle.....extend...do a high yo yo and come back down on him....youve caught up with him and also retained your energy...

HayateAce
12-27-2005, 11:23 AM
Like PingU stated, don't even bother until oleg decides to give us a realistic P51.

Go point whoring in one of these:

http://www.escuadron111.com/Il-2/Academia/Imagenes/Ranuras01.jpg

Airmail109
12-27-2005, 11:32 AM
I do better in the P51 than any other plane, you lot are just a bunch of french whoopsies..

Udidtoo
12-27-2005, 12:00 PM
Stay high or prepare to be frustrated. If you drop below 4000 ft then any competent 109/190 pilot will eat you alive. Until you get above the 8000 mark your only options are extend and extend. If you try to turn fight you die.

Friendly_flyer
12-27-2005, 01:27 PM
As always, you need the right tools for the right job. No need trying to cut down a tree with a wrench. The Mustang looses speed alarmingly fast if you turn too much. Try to fly in "big circles". Obviously, that means that the low, quick turnfights aren't where the Mustang shines. On the other hand, if you follow the advices of the genltlemen above, you will exploit the forms of flying where the Mustang really is a great plane and should do fine.

If your desire is to fight low and quick, consider another plane. Bf 109, Spitfire or La7 are all good dogfighters.

Vipez-
12-27-2005, 01:29 PM
Another quality post from HayateAce.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

I find the P51 to be one of the most lethal birds in the game, like it should.. The key is the patience, same kind of Patience you need with FW190 Antons. Engage enemy with altitude advantage.. find (preferably unsuspecting enemy) dive down on him.. shoot, zoom up. IF you miss, don't worry. Don't bother to turn with him, if you are green. You'll learn to turn with Mustang, once you get the hang of her. What you have to do, is don't listen to some of these forum-whiners complaining P51 don't turn as well as KI84s, BF109s, or La7s at speeds below 250mph. But above these speeds it's an excelent plane, preserves energy very well. And it probably has the best elevator responce, than any other plane, this is why you have to be careful when you exceed 600kmh as you might rip of your wings, if you pull your stick to hard. Be Gentle. Pay attention to what convergence you are using, you won't do any damage if you shoot out of your convergence. Personally I use 150-180 m, and I shoot at this range, and have absolutely no problem in ripping wings of from axis planes. If you fly it right, your worst enemy is probably FW190D, it has similar flying characterics (with better climb rate). Once you know how to fly safely by B&Z, BF-109s should not provide any difficulties: first of all most here complain P51D can't outdive 109G or 109K in the game, but I never had problems escaping from BF109s (any model) at sealevel by outdiving it and outrun it at sealevel (K-4 goes about 580kmh, P51D goes about 600).. FW190D might be harder to leave in a dive, and it will catch you on sealevel. However, you can outturn the Dora if you know how to be gently with the stick, and you will outturn him.. Just don't do this mistake with more agile planes, like BF109s, but run away, once you have enough distance, start climbing again and start all over again.. Mustang MKIII is much more forgiving, as no other axis plane can catch you (if not considering Tempest V, which we might get some day), its main draw back is limited (4 HMGs, instead of 6 in the P51D).

Good luck... and the wobling: for some reason people like HayateAce think it only has to do with the Mustang. However, Mustang is certainly not the only plane, that "shakes". But anyway, you should not have this wobling problem, if you fly the Mustang the way it should: fast ( don't go below 400-450 kmh, unless you wan't to take unneccessary risks)

HayateAce
12-27-2005, 02:53 PM
It's a hopeless, bobbling abomination and you know it. It flys like it constantly has a full fuse tank, and oleg refuses to fix that.

Bearcat99
12-27-2005, 05:04 PM
Keep it fast...... keep it high.... I am just a Pony lover..... I do think the D is a bit under done.... I think it is very unstable.... but I am learning to control it better.. and I have been fling it since it came out.... although even the MkIII is nothing like the very first P-51D that we got in 2.0... or was that a patch in 1.0..... Anyway.. it was a killer bird. Just stay fast.... I find that my handling of it improves when I try to practive acrobatic maneuvers in a QM by myself... with no opponents.... I recomend that you spend time just flying the plane..... up high... down low..... upside down.. anyway you can.. it isna as bad as many think.. but it could use more acceleration... and could dive better.... Thats just my opinion of course... I never flew one and have nothiung but stuff I have read to go on.... but even as it is it isnt a bad bird. Still my favorite.

carguy_
12-27-2005, 05:20 PM
The Bf109,unlike FW190,has a very bad elevator response at speeds higher than 420kph.

If you manage to sucker it into a high speed turning fight(or vertical) you will have him on a plate.Average 109 pilots dive down when they get jumped by a P51 and they try to maneuver.
The elevator response in the P51 is IMO grossly overdone.After all it wasn`t the lightest plane around so it should have at least some stability.

Generally you want to be fighting higher than 5500m.Pretty much all LW planes suffocate there.

Xiolablu3
12-27-2005, 05:48 PM
I took a P51D for a spin the other day after disgarding it for months after deciding 'I didnt like it' when I first started playing online.

Now I am a better pilot however, I found that the P51D is an excellent plane, I was downing TA152's and FW190Ds with those 50cals no problem.

I have therefore concluded that for new pilots or bad pilots, the P51D is a tough plane, yet for a veteran, its an excellent plane. Fly to its strengths, which means keeping it fast and bugging out if you have to turn more than a few times in a fight.

The 'wobble' thing only seems to happen once you get slow.

Try it, if you dont get on with it then leave it and come back once you have a bit more experience.

HellToupee
12-27-2005, 06:25 PM
Its an ok plane, the guns are still nothing compared to cannon armed aircraft which slice and dice in short bursts. The p51 down low 3000m and below is still slower than the 109s and the 190s, acclerates slower to and has no chance of turn with a 109.

Brain32
12-27-2005, 06:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The 'wobble' thing only seems to happen once you get slow. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The "wobble thingy" NEVER happens to me http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif. I tried to recreate the thing you guys are describing dozens of times with I guess every plane in the game, never happened http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif
And just for the record I use all 100 for pitch and roll, and 10,20,30...for the rudder, so I guess I should notice those wobbles pretty hard...
Some people just don't want to face the fact that wobbling is not a feature but system dependant bug http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

neural_dream
12-27-2005, 07:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brain32:
Some people just don't want to face the fact that wobbling is not a feature but system dependant bug http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It definitely is a system dependent bug. Oh yes I do have "the wobbles", but I don't care anymore. I know that when all's over, maybe next patch, maybe BoB, I'll handle those mustangs and those corsairs better than most, thanks to that wobble torment http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

p1ngu666
12-27-2005, 08:23 PM
the wobble is system dependant, but some planes are more effected than others, p51, il2, stuka, 110, betty, spit and others all have a large amount of wobble

not going low has nothing todo with the performance down low, it is very fast at all altitudes, its just your likelyhood of dieing from the plane departing controled flight is extremely high, wouldnt surprise me if the ground was more effective killer of p51's than the luftwaffe tbh

slo123
12-27-2005, 11:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LStarosta:
As one wise man once said, be sure to press the G button after take-off. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

whats the "g" button?

Friendly_flyer
12-28-2005, 02:50 AM
G-key for gear up/down. Quite a few beginners and even veterans forget about raising gear

JG7_Rall
12-28-2005, 04:02 PM
The Dreamteam strikes again

LStarosta
12-28-2005, 05:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JG7_Rall:
The Dreamteam strikes again </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dream Team, F*** YEAH!

MEGILE
12-28-2005, 05:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by slo123:

whats the "g" button? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its the G spot.

VW-IceFire
12-28-2005, 06:04 PM
Thoughts on the Mustang?

At 5000m and above the P-51D Mustang is faster than most FW190s (not sure about the D-9) and most 109s (except maybe the G-10 and K-4).

At the moment the aircraft, on my machine, its mostly a wobbly and twitchy piece of garbage but on other peoples machines this isn't a problem. Handling aside from this is fairly decent with the best manuvering being done at higher speeds (400kph and above).

The Mustang is best flown with a wingman or in a small group. Its guns are not great but with a close in convergence (mine are 180m) you CAN cut most types of aircraft to pieces with a few seconds of sustained gunfire. Its not a one hit wonder like 20mm and 30mm armed aircraft so don't expect it.

The Mark III is by far the best Mustang in-game as its the modified high boost/high octane Mustang model flown by some RAF squadrons. But its only got the 4 .50cal machineguns found on the regular B/C models. So its got its ups and downs.

LStarosta
12-28-2005, 11:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Megile:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by slo123:

whats the "g" button? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its the G spot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

I have charts.