PDA

View Full Version : i hate this

jakebeatyou
11-14-2007, 07:25 PM
My 360 scratched my game to disbelief, i dont even now what happened. just one second i hear this loud scratchy buzz noise and i get the "your disc is undreadable" sign, so i look at this disc and its destroyed...... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

jakebeatyou
11-14-2007, 07:25 PM
My 360 scratched my game to disbelief, i dont even now what happened. just one second i hear this loud scratchy buzz noise and i get the "your disc is undreadable" sign, so i look at this disc and its destroyed...... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

avsrule247
11-14-2007, 07:28 PM
Yeah there are several issues of this happening. At this point I don't believe that it is hardware. I mean there is no other explanation right? But with so many reports I can't imagine it behind a hardware problem.

Kevin_551983
11-14-2007, 07:28 PM
Was your 360 standing up or was it laying down

jakebeatyou
11-14-2007, 07:30 PM
laying down

Kevin_551983
11-14-2007, 07:32 PM
maybe u should make it stand up because I do that and everything goes fine

avsrule247
11-14-2007, 07:34 PM
I don't think you should. The risk of it falling over increases (obviously) and you can cause hardware problems when it falls.

Kevin_551983
11-14-2007, 07:35 PM
how is that?

Warrior-Within2
11-14-2007, 07:39 PM
My friend's 360 scratches disc when standing vertically. Also the DVD drive wont open when standing vertically so he just sets his console down horizontally.

jakebeatyou
11-14-2007, 07:39 PM
60 bucks down the drain

robatubisoft
11-14-2007, 07:42 PM
And I am sure you didn't move your 360 at all right? Your 360 just lost it's temper and decided to scratch your disk, right?

Come on. No DVD-ROM drive in the world just "destroys" disks without cause.

JosheyG34
11-14-2007, 07:43 PM
Just go back to the store and say it came scratched up. I did it with my Bio shock when I accidentally walked on it and slid it across the floor

Warrior-Within2
11-14-2007, 07:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by robatubisoft:
And I am sure you didn't move your 360 at all right? Your 360 just lost it's temper and decided to scratch your disk, right?

Come on. No DVD-ROM drive in the world just "destroys" disks without cause. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually the 360 does. There are 4 little rubber components missing in all the drives they use. Normally those rubber components prevent the disc from touching the lens but they seem to be missing from the drives for some reason.

Here are some videos:

http://jyrese1337.gametrailers.com/gamepad/?action=viewblog&id=82369

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/40185.html

TheRipper12
11-14-2007, 07:59 PM
This happens when you bump the 360 when its playing sometimes... it happened to oblivion the first day i got it... wat a bummer...

I turned my 360 from laying down to standing and that was a big mistake... then i turned it back and ground it more.... Then i just got pissed and kicked it....ground it more....advice-dont touch xbox when its running =0

robatubisoft
11-14-2007, 07:59 PM
Ive seen that video before. The pads are not needed due to the way those drives hold the disk. The only time the disk could come into contact with the lens would be if the 360 is moved, whether it be from being turned from horizontal to vertical while it's on, being bumped, or from vibrations from either bass or people walking/moving around.

Warrior-Within2
11-14-2007, 08:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by robatubisoft:
Ive seen that video before. The pads are not needed due to the way those drives hold the disk. The only time the disk could come into contact with the lens would be if the 360 is moved, whether it be from being turned from horizontal to vertical while it's on, being bumped, or from vibrations from either bass or people walking/moving around. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then obviously the pads are needed so that when you do move the console from vertical to horizontal and vice versa it doesn't eat your disc. PS3 has no such problem.

jakebeatyou
11-14-2007, 08:06 PM
i did not move my 360 though.

jakebeatyou
11-14-2007, 08:07 PM
Joshy did u get urs at gamestop?\

I dont no if i can return it though cus the guy at gamestop who is always there is a dickhead, and i doubt he will let me swap for a new one

BagelDogs
11-14-2007, 08:11 PM
I don't see how you can argue with the video. The first one definitely proves that vertical positioning is worse for the system than horizontal positioning. Also, the circular scratches are the same for the two people in the first and the one in the second. Plus my friend who just watched the videos with me said that they had a disc that happened to also. They thought they had messed something up. It's only done it with that one disc so far, but still... Microsoft definitely needs to step up their game a little bit.

Gypsy816
11-14-2007, 09:28 PM
There are places that resurface discs for a small fee. And I always heard that having your 360 lying down was best for it. And never place it on teh carpet... that makes it eat bad things. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The_Werty66
11-14-2007, 09:58 PM

Come on. No DVD-ROM drive in the world just "destroys" disks without cause. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't say that. A few years back I tried to play my Age of Empires 2 CD, Computer scratched it beyond all belief. **** - it wasn't even a scratch, it was flat out destroyed. Spent about an hour trying to get it out of the CD drive.

But, I'd assume you just had a severe case of bad luck. **** happens, and, guess it just decided to happen to you.

abeed0786
11-14-2007, 10:38 PM
uhh what is gamestop return policy anyways ? They have to let you exchange the product your not returning it.

Uhh i would ask i found out they exchange it with an opened one WTF is that ?

Zikro
11-14-2007, 10:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The_Werty66:

I wouldn't say that. A few years back I tried to play my Age of Empires 2 CD, Computer scratched it beyond all belief. **** - it wasn't even a scratch, it was flat out destroyed. Spent about an hour trying to get it out of the CD drive.

But, I'd assume you just had a severe case of bad luck. **** happens, and, guess it just decided to happen to you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had a similar occurence with Starcraft a few years back. I'm sitting around thinking, why not play some Starcraft. So I click the desktop shortcut icon and I hear my drive load up and BOOM! When I opened my CD drive, the disc was shattered into oblivion. Had to replace my drive.

EDIT: You should be able to replace the game. All purchases have the standard 90 day warranty and/or you could contact Microsoft (doubt they'll do anything but they might replace it).

xionethic
11-14-2007, 10:55 PM
this happens because Microsoft dvd-drive is generic. lol (course im kidding, or maybe it is, maybe thats y 360's are cheap?)

me-gud-u-bad
11-15-2007, 12:26 AM
i have had my 360 for almost a year now, and i have it standing up, and theres is nothing wrong with it.

i had one 360 and i had it for about a week, and it blew, so i took it back to gamestation, and they asked me if i was laying it on its side or is i was having it "stood up", i said, laying down, and they said that i shouldn't do that because it blocks 2 of the major cooling vents.

Faylinks
11-15-2007, 12:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jakebeatyou:
60 bucks down the drain </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
if there is a will, there is a way

other words, RETURN IT

Phreaky_McGeek
11-15-2007, 12:42 AM
When I had it vertically my 360 just obliterated my Gears disc. I find keeping it horizontal with a couple of DVD cases strapped together underneath means that you can have superior stability and cooling.

bobbylucifer
11-15-2007, 03:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by me-gud-u-bad:
i have had my 360 for almost a year now, and i have it standing up, and theres is nothing wrong with it.

i had one 360 and i had it for about a week, and it blew, so i took it back to gamestation, and they asked me if i was laying it on its side or is i was having it "stood up", i said, laying down, and they said that i shouldn't do that because it blocks 2 of the major cooling vents. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yet by far the biggest cooling vent is on the base so its probably a good idea to use it on its side.

LordLonewolf777
11-15-2007, 04:27 AM
@bobbylucifer

I'm one of the 2% who hasnt but by **** I'm not putting that cr4p in my sig!
Crazy persons... shiesh

GuStick93
11-15-2007, 04:53 AM
u sure u dint move it ? my oblivion cd is dead now coz i accidentaly flipped it while playing(was moving it somwhere)

AndrewKuc
11-15-2007, 06:28 AM
Ya know..If you guys go to like bestbuy(thats where i got mine)..When you buy the game, the person will ask you if you want a warranty on it for like 5$ . So you can return it whenever you need to. I dont know if other stores are doing this...but yea, if you wanna buy the game and have a warranty on it..then bestbuy .

katz_bg
11-15-2007, 07:11 AM

Come on. No DVD-ROM drive in the world just "destroys" disks without cause. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>There is a cause I assure you. It's bad design. there was something about some company testing that in Wikipedia and I believe it was 7 or 17% of discs getting scratched without any external movement

Seragath
11-15-2007, 07:58 AM
I remember when i first got my xbox 360..i didnt know that you shouldnt move the xbox 360 with cd's in it..so well...the Cd got ****ed up pretty bad http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif but i could still play it though..just freezed a couple of times with the "can't read disc"...plus my father did that too with another game of mine http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

maddog111
11-15-2007, 08:01 AM
what about ps3?is it Unbreakable or can i place it normal?PLEASE REPLEY!

katz_bg
11-15-2007, 10:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by maddog111:
what about ps3?is it Unbreakable or can i place it normal?PLEASE REPLEY! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It's not unbreakable. Nothing is. It's recommended that before you change it between vertical and horizontal position you take the disc out. Though a couple of times I forgot the Motorstorm disc inside when I was transporting the console to my other town. It still doesn't have a scratch on it but if it was spinning inside it might be different. Overall it's much safer, but there isn't a device ultimately safe against abuse.