PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into FB/AEP/PF-need your help

Lt.Bull
04-15-2006, 03:50 AM
Hi,

I need your help in sorting out a few things that have bugged me ever since I got IL2+FB+AEP+PF. I almost invariably played the game online with not full but high realism settings (eg. cockpit always on, limited icons). I havn't been playing the game in a while but have decided to give it a go again, this time trying the single player campaings hopefully with all the issues I originally had with the game resolved.

OK here they are:

1) When starting a SP career/campaign, how do I adjust the game settings so that I can have the "customised icon settings" I normally fly with online?
eg. Limited/varied info on friendly/enemy planes, icons fade in/fade out depending on range. I don't want absolutely NO icons and I don't want absolutely FULL ON icosn either.

2) When landing at an airfield, I always found it annoying trying to actually work out the direction of the runway. Why the control doesn't tell you is quite strange. Anyways, what is the recommended way to determine what the runway direction is so that you can apprach the airfield for landing in the right direction?

3) When flying to/from a waypoint during a SP career mission when you are NOT the flight leader, how are you supposed to determine the cruising speed? The flight leader tells you the direction but why doesn't he tell you the cruising speed as well?

4) Related to 3) is flying in formation. Does anyone actually do it or do they normally let the autopilot do it for them? Is a it a simple thing to do or does it require a special kind of skill/patience/dedication to get right?

5) I downloaded and installed "Cactus Diary" Battle Campaign By Bird_brain. It runs OK but when I went to start an RAAF career in New Guinea in a Beaufighter in any of the RAAF squadrons lsited, at the aircraft customisation screen it tells me I am part of 8th Bombardment Sqn, 3rd Bomb Grp, USAAF.

There is no other option. What is going on here and how do I fix it?

6) I have a AMD64 +3000 CPU, 1GB RAM and a 6600GT. Does the game res only run at max 1024x768 res? What AA/FSAA etc settings should I set for the game using the Nvidia video controls so that I get a smooth running game and decent graphics?

If I have anymnore questions, I hope you don't mind if I post them here as well.

Cheers

Bull

Lt.Bull
04-15-2006, 03:50 AM
Hi,

I need your help in sorting out a few things that have bugged me ever since I got IL2+FB+AEP+PF. I almost invariably played the game online with not full but high realism settings (eg. cockpit always on, limited icons). I havn't been playing the game in a while but have decided to give it a go again, this time trying the single player campaings hopefully with all the issues I originally had with the game resolved.

OK here they are:

1) When starting a SP career/campaign, how do I adjust the game settings so that I can have the "customised icon settings" I normally fly with online?
eg. Limited/varied info on friendly/enemy planes, icons fade in/fade out depending on range. I don't want absolutely NO icons and I don't want absolutely FULL ON icosn either.

2) When landing at an airfield, I always found it annoying trying to actually work out the direction of the runway. Why the control doesn't tell you is quite strange. Anyways, what is the recommended way to determine what the runway direction is so that you can apprach the airfield for landing in the right direction?

3) When flying to/from a waypoint during a SP career mission when you are NOT the flight leader, how are you supposed to determine the cruising speed? The flight leader tells you the direction but why doesn't he tell you the cruising speed as well?

4) Related to 3) is flying in formation. Does anyone actually do it or do they normally let the autopilot do it for them? Is a it a simple thing to do or does it require a special kind of skill/patience/dedication to get right?

5) I downloaded and installed "Cactus Diary" Battle Campaign By Bird_brain. It runs OK but when I went to start an RAAF career in New Guinea in a Beaufighter in any of the RAAF squadrons lsited, at the aircraft customisation screen it tells me I am part of 8th Bombardment Sqn, 3rd Bomb Grp, USAAF.

There is no other option. What is going on here and how do I fix it?

6) I have a AMD64 +3000 CPU, 1GB RAM and a 6600GT. Does the game res only run at max 1024x768 res? What AA/FSAA etc settings should I set for the game using the Nvidia video controls so that I get a smooth running game and decent graphics?

If I have anymnore questions, I hope you don't mind if I post them here as well.

Cheers

Bull

Tully__
04-15-2006, 04:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lt.Bull:
Hi,

OK here they are:

eg. Limited/varied info on friendly/enemy planes, icons fade in/fade out depending on range.
I don't want absolutely NO icons and I don't want absolutely FULL ON icosn either. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>In difficulty settings turn off "No Icons". Once you enter each mission press Shift-Tab to open console then use the mp_dotrange command to set your choice of custom icons. There's a guide here (http://www.airwarfare.com/sturmovik_101/faq_index.htm#022) and another floating around somewhere with pictures. When done, Shift-Tab again to close console.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">2) When landing at an airfield, I always found it annoying trying to actually work out the direction of the runway. Why the control doesn't tell you is quite strange. Anyways, what is the recommended way to determine what the runway direction is so that you can apprach the airfield for landing in the right direction? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The landing waypoint is at the approach end of the runway.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">3) When flying to/from a waypoint during a SP career mission when you are NOT the flight leader, how are you supposed to determine the cruising speed? The flight leader tells you the direction but why doesn't he tell you the cruising speed as well? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Oversight in the AI voice programming probably. As it stands you have to match speeds by trial and error but you'll quickly get a feel for the default speeds used by the designer of the campaign you're currently flying. The stock DGen ones that the built in campaign generator give you are usually somewhere near 300km/h.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">4) Related to 3) is flying in formation. Does anyone actually do it or do they normally let the autopilot do it for them? Is a it a simple thing to do or does it require a special kind of skill/patience/dedication to get right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It requires a lot of concentration and some carefully developed technique to fly in close formation and I wouldn't recommend it for combat missions. I like to fly about 1000-3000m above the flight that I'm a member of because they're usually too low for safety too. Another hazard is the un-announced sudden turns that the AI flight leader tends to make, a real collision risk.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">6) I have a AMD64 +3000 CPU, 1GB RAM and a 6600GT. Does the game res only run at max 1024x768 res? What AA/FSAA etc settings should I set for the game using the Nvidia video controls so that I get a smooth running game and decent graphics? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The game runs at whatever resolutions your monitor will support AFAIK. If you're missing the options for higher resolutions in the setup utility I'd recommend you post in the Communiy Help forum explaining the problem.

Lt.Bull
04-15-2006, 09:04 PM
Thanks Tully http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tully__:
The landing waypoint is at the approach end of the runway.? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure what you mean. Is this in reference to the map or as a visual spot while flying past? I was hoping that the direction of the runway could be easily determined from the map.

7) Also, I've noticed that the Tempest is selctable as a flyable plane (your flight) and have seen the screenshots of its cockpit. However, when I go to fly the plane using the quick mision builder, it appears as a AI plane only (I can't get in cockpit or fly it).

8) I go to the Quick Mission Builder and there are only a limited number of maps to choose from. Where are all the rest like Normandy, Ardennes etc?

Cheers

Bull

Tully__
04-16-2006, 01:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lt.Bull:
Thanks Tully http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tully__:
The landing waypoint is at the approach end of the runway.? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure what you mean. Is this in reference to the map or as a visual spot while flying past? I was hoping that the direction of the runway could be easily determined from the map. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sorry, I was thinking in Coop/Campaign/Single Mission terms where the waypoints on the briefing map (and in flight map if the "No Minimap Path" difficulty settings is turned off) usually include a landing waypoint. In DF you just have to observe and follow suit. In most DF servers the approach end will be the first end you come to when flying home from battle as most are in too much of a hurry or are too damaged to do much in the way of proper landing circuits.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">7) Also, I've noticed that the Tempest is selctable as a flyable plane (your flight) and have seen the screenshots of its cockpit. However, when I go to fly the plane using the quick mision builder, it appears as a AI plane only (I can't get in cockpit or fly it). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>One of the Tempests is flyable provided you're running the merged version fully patched up to v4.04m. I'm not sure if the QMB is set up for it though, every now and then a flyable is missing from the QMB menu after a patch.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">8) I go to the Quick Mission Builder and there are only a limited number of maps to choose from. Where are all the rest like Normandy, Ardennes etc? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The QMB is intended for a quick flight in a selection of mission types. It is not intended as a source of detailed, historically accurate missions, it is just a practice or quick fun venue. For missions using the other maps you'll have to make use of the built in campaign generator, the full mission builder, one of the 3rd party mission/campaign generators available for download or some of the huge variety of user made campaigns and missions freely availbe for download or included in retails packs like Battle over Europe and some others.

Skycat_2
04-16-2006, 03:37 PM
The Tempest is flyable in the Quick Mission Builder ... at least it is in FB+AEP+PF v4.03m and v4.04m. I think it is available in PF 'standalone' 4.03/4.04 also but I can't confirm taht right now.

Make sure you haven't scrolled too far down the list. The planes are in alphabetical order but all of the Allied Planes are listed before any of the Axis planes.

Tully__
04-16-2006, 08:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Skycat_2:
The Tempest is flyable in the Quick Mission Builder ... at least it is in FB+AEP+PF v4.03m and v4.04m. I think it is available in PF 'standalone' 4.03/4.04 also but I can't confirm taht right now.

Make sure you haven't scrolled too far down the list. The planes are in alphabetical order but all of the Allied Planes are listed before any of the Axis planes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This being the case Lt.Bull should have the tempest flyable in QMB as he's indicated he has all the games. If it's not there either the installation is not patched up to the required version or there's some other installation problem.

Lt.Bull
04-16-2006, 08:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Skycat_2:

Make sure you haven't scrolled too far down the list. The planes are in alphabetical order but all of the Allied Planes are listed before any of the Axis planes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have FB+AEP+PF merged v4.04. The Tempest IS there listed but when you select it in the QMB and enter the sim, you don't actually enter the cockpit, or let alone are able to control it. The camera is external.

EDIT: I have just confirmed that online if I go to select the Tempest, I get a wierd graphics view (no cockpit, terrain/sky is kinda all white).

At what patch did the Tempest become flayable?

Cheers

Bull

Skycat_2
04-16-2006, 10:32 PM
It became flyable in 4.03m.

Have you installed all of the updates? You need 303m, 401m, 402m, 403m and 404m --&gt; all of them, in that order.

Edit: You might want to try this cumulative 3.0 to 4.04m patch (ftp://ftp.ubi.com/de/pacificfighters/PFm_Megapatch.zip) that is hosted at Ubi's German site. I think it is an unofficial version of all the official patches so use it at your own discretion.

-HH-Quazi
04-16-2006, 11:15 PM
Another way to determine the approach heading to the airfield is to take note of the heading as you are on the runway taking off. And if you want to land coming in from the opposite direction, just subtract 180 degrees. Forinstance, at Caen on the Normandy map, if you take off on runway 200, then by subtrating 180 degrees, you would know that the heading to land coming in from the other direction is 020. The proper way to do it is to land in the same direction that you take off. But in case you are damaged and are closer to making a successful landing coming in from the opposite direction, then just subtract the 180 degrees from your original take off heading.

Tully__
04-17-2006, 04:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have FB+AEP+PF merged v4.04 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If your startup screen says v4.04 rather than v4.04m you've used an incorrect patch. Re-download and install the patches using the links in this thread (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/4721047273) to correct this.

mortoma
04-18-2006, 06:30 AM
Pertaining to your #4 question, I fly formation wiht the AI all the time. I usually hit the F9 button to go from snap view mode to pan view, I then hit numpad 4 or 6 depending on which position I'm flying, and fly I like that. It took me about a day to get used to flying around with the view skewed to the side like that. But I've been doing it for years now. Yes, it will take practice to learn formation flying but you'll get it eventually. It can be done. Get used to that view first and then work on throttling up and down, using your rudders and whatever it takes to stay in precise postition.