PDA

View Full Version : Ship damage Question

billclarke1
12-01-2004, 05:29 PM
If we make an attack on a ship with our deck gun will we be able to see progressive damage to it as each shell hits ? by that I mean deck cargo getting chewed up life boats disintegrating holes appearing in the hull, superstructer, funnels, ect ?

Capt.LoneRanger
12-01-2004, 05:34 PM
Yes. The videos allready show cargo, cranes, parts of the ship and other stuff falling off, shells leaving black smoke marks, where they hit the ship.
It was also said, that different cargo has a different effect on what happens. If you shoot a freighter shooting wood, you probably won't see that much, but shooting a freighter with ammunitions, will get you some nice effects.

walsh2509
12-03-2004, 06:04 AM
Q?

Will ships go down whole or will some break up as they go to the sea bed?

I am sure i seen a computer sim on the History Chanl of a ship going down and as it went underit was upside down under the water and the main guns came away from the ship and other part came away too , will this happen too in SHIII? or will the animation of the ship(s) under the water stay whole ?

Capt.LoneRanger
12-03-2004, 06:26 AM
The videos and screenies show different effects. The ships can break apart (presumably by magnetic-fused torpedos breaking their bow), turn keel up (capsize), explode, sink according to damage done (bow or astern forward).

There was a nice statement, that internal stuctures are modelled for the ships. That means that bulkheads and compartments are modelled and sinking of a ship depends on where the ship is hit, what was damaged and what the cargo is (and if it was damaged, too).

Capt.LoneRanger
12-03-2004, 06:28 AM
PS: I also remember a screenshot of a battleship with missing cannon-turret, that fell off, as the ship turned upside down. I may be mistaken, though. I'll see and check for that screenie - or can somebody confirm that?