PDA

View Full Version : OT: Red Arrows today

Prangerman
05-12-2005, 05:07 AM
I live in SE London about 2 miles away from Biggin Hill, the ex-RAF now privately operated former Battle of Britain airbase. I am working from home today having injured my back. Sitting in my study e-mailing the office at 1130, I heard something different from the usual business jets, private prop planes etc. Imagine my thrill on seeing the Red Arrows flying over my house and on to Biggin Hill, full smoke etc. They did several display circuits. It didn't look like their full display and lasted about 20 mins in all, but 9 Hawks at low level in close formation and a few singleton passes has brightened the day, and made me forget the back agony!

Having recently flown B25 formation missions on the excellent Warbirds of Prey Spitfire v 109 server, I really appreciaite the difficulty of formation flying.

Prangerman
05-12-2005, 05:07 AM
I live in SE London about 2 miles away from Biggin Hill, the ex-RAF now privately operated former Battle of Britain airbase. I am working from home today having injured my back. Sitting in my study e-mailing the office at 1130, I heard something different from the usual business jets, private prop planes etc. Imagine my thrill on seeing the Red Arrows flying over my house and on to Biggin Hill, full smoke etc. They did several display circuits. It didn't look like their full display and lasted about 20 mins in all, but 9 Hawks at low level in close formation and a few singleton passes has brightened the day, and made me forget the back agony!

Having recently flown B25 formation missions on the excellent Warbirds of Prey Spitfire v 109 server, I really appreciaite the difficulty of formation flying.

WholeHawg
05-12-2005, 06:19 AM
Hey Prangerman,

Funny you should mention formation flying, a few of the guys in my sqad are x-military pilots and we were chatting about this just the other day. They genrally agreed that flying formation, in real life is actually easier then in the game! I guess it must have someting to do with spatial orientation and peripheral vision.

hotspace
05-12-2005, 06:29 AM
There was 8 of them in 2 V formations of 4 that came over my flat yesterday at low level http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Hot Space