PDA

View Full Version : Multi-engine control help

LC34
11-02-2004, 01:43 PM
Hey guys believe it or not after owning the entire IL-2 series since it came out, I havent flown ANY twin engine fighter or bomber.

I tried to do that today and I failed miserably. I have keys assigned to select left engine, right engine, and all engines. When I start them up both I noticed that I have to start one at a time. No big deal, but in flight after selecting "All engines" and adjusting the throttle inside the cockpit I noticed that only one engine is being powered up or down. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: Also, what are some good missions to practice flying and eventually bombing with?

LC34
11-02-2004, 01:43 PM
Hey guys believe it or not after owning the entire IL-2 series since it came out, I havent flown ANY twin engine fighter or bomber.

I tried to do that today and I failed miserably. I have keys assigned to select left engine, right engine, and all engines. When I start them up both I noticed that I have to start one at a time. No big deal, but in flight after selecting "All engines" and adjusting the throttle inside the cockpit I noticed that only one engine is being powered up or down. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: Also, what are some good missions to practice flying and eventually bombing with?

keithb77
11-03-2004, 05:41 AM
Are you flying a campaign or a single-mission?
I couldnt get multi-engine to work at all in campaigns with complex-engine-management enabled.
Single-mission was ok.
-
I've just posted a Beaufighter mission at airwarfare.com (http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/FB/fb_aep_pf_singlemissions.htm)
that I think is pretty good....
Its 'instant action' though, airstart and the only landings are crash-landings!
Rockets/torpedos instead of bombs too.
(But you can change that)
Cheers,
Keith

Athosd
11-03-2004, 08:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LC34:

EDIT: Also, what are some good missions to practice flying and eventually bombing with? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Check you control config again - sounds like whatever key you set to 'all engines' didn't take.
Also note that key mappings you set for one pilot do not carry over to any others you create.
For each pilot record (stored in the \users folder) there is a settings.ini file that contains all the key mappings. This file can be copied around to save you some effort.

In the \User directory there is a file named default.ini - this is the default key mapping applied to all new pilot records. If you wish to use a particular key mapping for all your newly created pilots just replace default.ini with your preferred settings.ini file (renamed to default.ini of course).

My mult-engine keys are as follows:
1, 2, 3, 4 = select engine 1, 2, 3, 4
Shift 1 = Select left engines
Shift 2 = Select right engines
Shift 3 = Select all engines

No need to map the 'toggle engine x' keys - unless you find some great use for them.

Keithb77 - I suggest your issue with multi-engine control is due to the pilot specific key mappings. Check it out and let us know how you go.

Cheers

Athos

Edit - corrected references to file all.ini to default.ini