PDA

View Full Version : Accurate P-51D Gunsight

enemyace
05-12-2007, 08:50 AM
Does anyone know of a way or have a patch to make the gunsight on the P-51D in Il-2 historically correct? To the best of my knowledge the P-51D gunsight had a concentric array of ticks on the gunsight, not the circle shown in the game....

-Stava

enemyace
05-12-2007, 08:50 AM
Does anyone know of a way or have a patch to make the gunsight on the P-51D in Il-2 historically correct? To the best of my knowledge the P-51D gunsight had a concentric array of ticks on the gunsight, not the circle shown in the game....

-Stava

staticline1
05-12-2007, 09:42 AM
GO to your controls, scroll down to toggle/sight mode and give it any key designation you want. That will bring up the K-14 gunsight.

XyZspineZyX
05-12-2007, 12:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by enemyace:

-Stava </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which model would you like to be historically correct in regards to gunsights? The one with the K-14 gyroscopic gunsight that is well modelled in the sim, or the one with the N-9? There are many variants of the P-51D, there are two variants modelled in this sim, the P-51-5NT, which should have the N-9 sight, and the P-51D-20NA, which has the K-14 gyro sight

Either way, your wish is granted. If you like, I can even tell you how to use the K-14 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

staticline- you're not really "bringing up" the K-14, you are turning on the gyro feature. You can see the switch move on the left hand side of the cockpit. All thre modes: fixed, fixed+gyro, and gyro only, are all features of the K-14 sight

VW-IceFire
05-12-2007, 03:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by enemyace:

-Stava </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Actually the game is accurate. The P-51's were typically fitted with two different types of gunsights. The most common is the one that you see in the P-51B through D-5. I believe this one is called the N-9 gunsight. Its also used on a number of other American aircraft. The one with the ring of ticks is the gyroscopic mode on the K-14 gyroscopic gunsight. This is available on the P-51D-20 and the YP-80 in the game.

You have to bind a few extra keys for use with this gunsight. First you have to bind one to toggle the gunsight modes (I believe this is contained under MISC in the controls). So you go between Fixed, Gyro, Fixed+Gyro modes. Then you need to bind one for changing the wingspan...again I can't remember off the top of my head but it should be in the readme somewhere. Then you bind a further two keys to increase and decrease the range. I believe it defaults at 200 meters and a few clicks later you're out at 250 meters.

The idea is that you identify your foe, adjust the gunsight to the appropriate wingspan (Bf109, FW190, Ju-87, Do-217, and others are on the dial) and then narrow down the range and put the gyro gunsight on the plane. If he turns keep the gyro sight on the plane rather than aiming ahead of the plane. This, if set properly, will allow you to hit a turning aircraft with near perfect accuracy.

This type of sight could also be mounted in late model P-47s (we don't have any of those) and the American K-14 is actually just a copy of the British GGS Mark II sight that appeared in late model Spitfire IX/XVI and Spitfire XVI's. None modeled in game...but just FYI.

tigertalon
05-12-2007, 08:08 PM
Guys covered it pretty well, one thing is worth mentioning IMO tho. K-14 we have in '46 is inacurate about the position of aiming reticle. This gunsinght is the only one in IL2'46 that has two collimators and not one. Basically it's like having two gunsights side by side, both using the same reflector glass. The left collimator was used for air to air, right one for air to ground, so reticles of all three air to air modes (fixed, gyro, combined) should appear only on the left half of the reflector, above left collimator. To aim through it, pilots head would have to be moved a bit to left, just like on german planes when you have to move it right to see through the sight.

Scrshot:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s307/TigerTalon/K-14.jpg

DKoor
05-12-2007, 09:12 PM
D20 has awesome gunsite, be sure!
But it cannot be taken as 100% accurate in every possible shot at your desired custom convergence.... I just fire them both up, K-14 and "normal" gunsite....

That works best for me.... although I admit it can get confusing at times but once you adapt - it's great

For some high deflections I use to shoot between "normal" and K-14 pointers and it works like a charm but it's all a matter of habit.

Bearcat99
05-13-2007, 03:20 PM
Read this (http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Knowledge_Base&op=show&kid=369).

Above is a guide to using the K-14 gunsight.