PDA

View Full Version : SoW: please can we have electronic aircraft manuals?

Philipscdrw
06-16-2007, 09:20 PM
This is an idea for a small feature to include with SoW. Not really my idea, more of a crossover from MSFS:

Could SoW have a window, a bit like the map window in Il-2 but resizable, giving information about the specific aircraft the player is using? I keep finding useful information (like the RPM limits for the Bf109E and F) and I'm running out of space on my monitor frame and on the walls around the PC to paste it all!

I'm thinking of a window which has four tabs, dragable, resizable. It appears and disappears on a shifted keypress - CTRL-<key> or ALT-<key>.

The first tab shows information about the aircraft, like in the Object Viewer but briefer: some aircraft data and performance figures, armament details, etc. This first tab is uneditable text (uneditable in flight, but perhaps the text is stored in a .txt file in the game directory somewhere for editing outside of flight).

The second tab shows player-created details about that aircraft. It can be edited in flight: when the player clicks on the text-box, the cursor activates and the keyboard enters text; when the player clicks outside the box, it deactivates and the keyboard controls the aircraft as normal. The text is definitely stored in a .txt file somewhere in the game directory, and is permanently attached to that aircraft, so if you enter text here, it will be there every time you fly that aircraft. As the player gains experience and insights into the aircraft, and performs flight tests on it, he/she can enter text here as a record for that particular aircraft type, during the flight. Or if something interesting piece of information about the aircraft is found when not flying, it can be entered in the relevant .txt file. (such as the BF109E RPM data!)

The third tab is not aircraft specific, its text is stored in a .txt and it loads with every aircraft. The text is editable as before. It is for things like generic checklists.

The fourth tab is for mission/flight-specific data. It would either be blank at the start of a flight, have its text defined by the mission file in the same way as the briefing text, or be editable during the briefing. I'd use it to record things like my convergance and bomb delay settings, and what loadout I've got - it's easy to forget on the longer flights...)

I could just keep a notepad next to the PC, use a page or two for each aircraft, and get the same result for a fraction of the time and effort. But that's not ecologically friendly. Oleg, please save the rainforests and put an electronic notebook into SoW!

(OK, I've just realised that the 'buy a 50p notebook and keep scrap paper nearby' concept has probably rendered the 'electronic flightbag' concept completely pointless. But perhaps there's some advantage of electronic notebooks that I've overlooked? EN can be edited, unlike ink-on-paper notebook, and is more accessable while flying - easier to use a keyboard than a pen while flying I think.)

Philipscdrw
06-16-2007, 09:20 PM
This is an idea for a small feature to include with SoW. Not really my idea, more of a crossover from MSFS:

Could SoW have a window, a bit like the map window in Il-2 but resizable, giving information about the specific aircraft the player is using? I keep finding useful information (like the RPM limits for the Bf109E and F) and I'm running out of space on my monitor frame and on the walls around the PC to paste it all!

I'm thinking of a window which has four tabs, dragable, resizable. It appears and disappears on a shifted keypress - CTRL-&lt;key&gt; or ALT-&lt;key&gt;.

The first tab shows information about the aircraft, like in the Object Viewer but briefer: some aircraft data and performance figures, armament details, etc. This first tab is uneditable text (uneditable in flight, but perhaps the text is stored in a .txt file in the game directory somewhere for editing outside of flight).

The second tab shows player-created details about that aircraft. It can be edited in flight: when the player clicks on the text-box, the cursor activates and the keyboard enters text; when the player clicks outside the box, it deactivates and the keyboard controls the aircraft as normal. The text is definitely stored in a .txt file somewhere in the game directory, and is permanently attached to that aircraft, so if you enter text here, it will be there every time you fly that aircraft. As the player gains experience and insights into the aircraft, and performs flight tests on it, he/she can enter text here as a record for that particular aircraft type, during the flight. Or if something interesting piece of information about the aircraft is found when not flying, it can be entered in the relevant .txt file. (such as the BF109E RPM data!)

The third tab is not aircraft specific, its text is stored in a .txt and it loads with every aircraft. The text is editable as before. It is for things like generic checklists.

The fourth tab is for mission/flight-specific data. It would either be blank at the start of a flight, have its text defined by the mission file in the same way as the briefing text, or be editable during the briefing. I'd use it to record things like my convergance and bomb delay settings, and what loadout I've got - it's easy to forget on the longer flights...)

I could just keep a notepad next to the PC, use a page or two for each aircraft, and get the same result for a fraction of the time and effort. But that's not ecologically friendly. Oleg, please save the rainforests and put an electronic notebook into SoW!

(OK, I've just realised that the 'buy a 50p notebook and keep scrap paper nearby' concept has probably rendered the 'electronic flightbag' concept completely pointless. But perhaps there's some advantage of electronic notebooks that I've overlooked? EN can be edited, unlike ink-on-paper notebook, and is more accessable while flying - easier to use a keyboard than a pen while flying I think.)

Skoshi Tiger
06-17-2007, 12:11 AM
If Ubisoft is looking for a gimic to put in their packaging to help sell BoB They could put in a Knee-Board with a 50c Notebook in it! I'ld by it!