PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on AC

Kurashu
04-23-2008, 01:45 AM
I recently played and finished AC. My overall thoughts are: Great Game.

I love the theme. My father always used to talk about that period of time, how he likes the stories about templars, that he descends from one of them (Hugo Pagano or Hugues de Payens). But that's besides the point...

AC looks and feels authentic. The atmosphere is great. While playing it really feels like being part of the towns/cities.
While the population to their (somewhat limited) things, you go on 'investigating' about your targets. The story unfolds and secrets reveal slowly to the character and you (the player). It's not a prize winning story, but it is pretty much above the average game plot.

Top notch! Amazing!

But along all that, I feel like Patrice and Jade left out a bit of what should be the game itself. I heard it on other places and I'm sure this has been discussed to death in these forii.

Firstly, unskippable cut-scenes. That was a major turn-off for me during my first play. But granted, the story moves forward, so must you to follow what goes on. Ubisoft payed voice actors and letting player skip cut-scenes and never see some of the work they've done is understandable. During a second play trough I expected to be allowed to skip them, but I was forced to watch it again. Ok, no problem, I'll go grab a drink, look at some websites and wait for the conversations to pass.
This really felt something that was forced onto players for a reason, but not giving us the choice... that hurts a bit.

Too bad. I can live with that.

Secondly, streamlining menus/gameplay. So I finished AC. Awesome. Had a wonderful time. Great scenarios for assassinations. Interesting set of 'targets' and places where to perform those 'hits'.

Ok, done with story, searched all flags, climbed on top of all towers, killed all Templar Knights. Can I go back and "relive" the cool assassinations I performed throughout the game? No, I have to perform investigations AGAIN (at least the required minimum) to get to my target. Why can't we player go straight to what this game was all about, assassinations? I understand that, having only the assassination part in AC would really cut of A LOT of story/narrative/gameplay time. But on a second play through I would really like to skip all the talk and go straight to the action!

I commend Ubisoft for trying to bring back some action to AC by adding more 'action/investigations' on the PC version, but they can add so much over the standard investigation. An option to replay only the assassination is something I was expecting at the end of such a great game. That would REALLY extend its shelf life.

Thirdly, there is no thirdly. Personally AC is a great game which lacked some polishing in some areas: Game Design and Streamlining. I don't pretend to be an expert at game design and I certainly am not complaining. I love AC as much as any of you but it could've been a much greater game. Just hope someone at Ubi reads this (which is highly doubtful =)

My 2cents!

PS: Moving to Montreal soon, I wish I could visit Ubi and talk and discuss to them personally about this matter. I like banging my noggin' about game design.

tr;tl version:

Unskippable Cut-scenes and unable to go straight to assassination make this a less than stellar game. It's awesome, but it won't carry on too long by limiting players like this...

Kurashu
04-23-2008, 01:45 AM
I recently played and finished AC. My overall thoughts are: Great Game.

I love the theme. My father always used to talk about that period of time, how he likes the stories about templars, that he descends from one of them (Hugo Pagano or Hugues de Payens). But that's besides the point...

AC looks and feels authentic. The atmosphere is great. While playing it really feels like being part of the towns/cities.
While the population to their (somewhat limited) things, you go on 'investigating' about your targets. The story unfolds and secrets reveal slowly to the character and you (the player). It's not a prize winning story, but it is pretty much above the average game plot.

Top notch! Amazing!

But along all that, I feel like Patrice and Jade left out a bit of what should be the game itself. I heard it on other places and I'm sure this has been discussed to death in these forii.

Firstly, unskippable cut-scenes. That was a major turn-off for me during my first play. But granted, the story moves forward, so must you to follow what goes on. Ubisoft payed voice actors and letting player skip cut-scenes and never see some of the work they've done is understandable. During a second play trough I expected to be allowed to skip them, but I was forced to watch it again. Ok, no problem, I'll go grab a drink, look at some websites and wait for the conversations to pass.
This really felt something that was forced onto players for a reason, but not giving us the choice... that hurts a bit.

Too bad. I can live with that.

Secondly, streamlining menus/gameplay. So I finished AC. Awesome. Had a wonderful time. Great scenarios for assassinations. Interesting set of 'targets' and places where to perform those 'hits'.

Ok, done with story, searched all flags, climbed on top of all towers, killed all Templar Knights. Can I go back and "relive" the cool assassinations I performed throughout the game? No, I have to perform investigations AGAIN (at least the required minimum) to get to my target. Why can't we player go straight to what this game was all about, assassinations? I understand that, having only the assassination part in AC would really cut of A LOT of story/narrative/gameplay time. But on a second play through I would really like to skip all the talk and go straight to the action!

I commend Ubisoft for trying to bring back some action to AC by adding more 'action/investigations' on the PC version, but they can add so much over the standard investigation. An option to replay only the assassination is something I was expecting at the end of such a great game. That would REALLY extend its shelf life.

Thirdly, there is no thirdly. Personally AC is a great game which lacked some polishing in some areas: Game Design and Streamlining. I don't pretend to be an expert at game design and I certainly am not complaining. I love AC as much as any of you but it could've been a much greater game. Just hope someone at Ubi reads this (which is highly doubtful =)

My 2cents!

PS: Moving to Montreal soon, I wish I could visit Ubi and talk and discuss to them personally about this matter. I like banging my noggin' about game design.

tr;tl version:

Unskippable Cut-scenes and unable to go straight to assassination make this a less than stellar game. It's awesome, but it won't carry on too long by limiting players like this...

altairego
04-24-2008, 08:24 PM
completely agree about the immersion - i felt like i didn't belong in THIS world at times. i actually felt comfortable walking in damascus or acre. I am not looking at architecture in quite the same way either -- walking and thinking will altair be able to climb this or that? funny how a game can influence thinking.
i wish in terms of fighting they'd given him more abilities. but what we got looks good so i am content.. for now.

liquid_forever
04-24-2008, 09:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by altairego:
completely agree about the immersion - i felt like i didn't belong in THIS world at times. i actually felt comfortable walking in damascus or acre. I am not looking at architecture in quite the same way either -- walking and thinking will altair be able to climb this or that? funny how a game can influence thinking.
i wish in terms of fighting they'd given him more abilities. but what we got looks good so i am content.. for now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really? Cause I just thought I was replaying the same missions over and over again, wait I was... I couldn't wait for this game to end.

Although I must admit that the first few hours playing this game I thought it was amazing and after the bit at the end I couldn't wait for AC2.

altairego
04-25-2008, 05:00 AM
to each his/her own.

i just hope they keep altair for the next one. i've seen some rumours of japanese adventure and other stuff. but it would not make sense.

FYTJ
04-25-2008, 01:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by liquid_forever:
Really? Cause I just thought I was replaying the same missions over and over again, wait I was... I couldn't wait for this game to end. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If you couldn't wait for the game to end, why did you continue playing it then? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

KungFu_CIA
04-25-2008, 01:53 PM
I really like AC.

I posted this on another thread, but I'll repeat part of it here.

What AC does so well is it brings previous game mechanics together in an original and FUN way.

It is basically "GTA meets Kingdom of Heaven"... But that is not necessarily a bad thing, IMO.

What the dev team did wasn't try and re-invent the wheel. What they did was take proven game play elements (open world; fluid combat; Prince of Persia-style platforming; Challengs; etc.) and combine them in a very polished package. It's SAME, BUT DIFFERENT which is what most entertainment is these days. This approach also (I presume?) helped get AC off the ground because just like other sectors of the entertainment biz, those who fund video games need to be sure they will make back their budget and then some (profit), and by giving gamers "the same, but different" this is helps alleviate fears of investors and stockholders so they will more easily fund games like AC.

liquid_forever
04-25-2008, 06:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FYTJ:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by liquid_forever:
Really? Cause I just thought I was replaying the same missions over and over again, wait I was... I couldn't wait for this game to end. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If you couldn't wait for the game to end, why did you continue playing it then? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Achievement for Xbox 360, plus I like to finish what I start.

FullFrenzy
04-26-2008, 01:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FYTJ:
If you couldn't wait for the game to end, why did you continue playing it then? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Achievement for Xbox 360, plus I like to finish what I start. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So in other words, you waste your time often?
Kinda like what you're doing now. Posting on a board for a game you didn't even like.

almagam
04-26-2008, 01:27 AM
a creed was a pretty good game other than that the rest of 2007 was a diseaster the games were terrible please dont flame me. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

liquid_forever
04-26-2008, 02:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FullFrenzy:

Achievement for Xbox 360, plus I like to finish what I start. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So in other words, you waste your time often?
Kinda like what you're doing now. Posting on a board for a game you didn't even like. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well i came to this forum because I wanted to see if there was any information on AC2...and anyway the whole idea of posting is a waste of time so i will just stop right in the middle of my sen