PDA

View Full Version : Generating countless soldiers on the ground with BoBSoW

Haigotron
08-21-2006, 09:52 AM
Im no programmer, but I would like to see ground units more and more, the problem, i know is that the engine isnt geared towards it.

But my suggestion would be to have something on the lines of the Total War series, where thousands and thousands of soldiers are generated on the same map at the same time, each one individually animated (more or less). Im not saying they need to be as detailed in animation, im saying if its possible to do such a thing in the future. If they can even have sprites like Shogun: Total War with higher resolutions, that would make me happy too.

What do you think?

Haigotron
08-21-2006, 09:52 AM
Im no programmer, but I would like to see ground units more and more, the problem, i know is that the engine isnt geared towards it.

But my suggestion would be to have something on the lines of the Total War series, where thousands and thousands of soldiers are generated on the same map at the same time, each one individually animated (more or less). Im not saying they need to be as detailed in animation, im saying if its possible to do such a thing in the future. If they can even have sprites like Shogun: Total War with higher resolutions, that would make me happy too.

What do you think?

NekoReaperman
08-21-2006, 10:26 AM
I think R:TW could barely handle displaying those t hings by themselves, throw in some ultradetailed airplanes fighting above the ground and its a recepe for 0.5 FPS

MaxMhz
08-21-2006, 10:33 AM
ROFLMAO

Maybe in a century, 2 centuries?

If you want to play a ground war, you bought the wrong game.

Not a snowball's chance in hell as someone said before http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

Haigotron
08-21-2006, 10:49 AM
Have you ever played any of the Star Wars Rogue squadron games? where the infantry on the ground are sprites (back then, the res was pretty low, they looked more like marshmallow stick figures rather than storm troopers)...
but the point is, they had some small scale fights going on ground, which made it cool to strafe some...

why not have high resolution sprites to do the same?..

Haigotron
08-21-2006, 10:55 AM
oh and besides, there never was any large scale ground fights in the real battle of britain, but adding some personnel on the airfields or maybe a dunkirk scene...

Doolittle81
08-21-2006, 11:17 AM
I think it wouldn't be too hard in BofB to add at least some variety in the human figures(of IL2/FB/PF fame). It would be nice to not have every bailed pilot run/look exactly the same..the run, the dive to the ground. Sometimes they might dive, other times take a knee...other times plop down to sit, maybe occasionally pull out a revolver and stand, looking around, to see if any enemy were approaching...whatever...maybe 7 or 8 different randomly generated possibilities.

The same additional random variety might be added to convoy troops, with regard to how they scatter when strafed...

A few random and/or walking running figures at the airfields would also be nice, as long as there is considerable variety. Again, I also am not a programmer, but that seems to be a pretty simple task with little demand placed on the engine/computer.

I know its all just eyecandy, but it adds to the immersion.

Deadmeat313
08-21-2006, 11:25 AM
I think its a cool idea that would definitely enhance the immersion of low altitude missions. I do worry about the the framerate issue though. If they made the soldiers a pretty simple animated sprite with a shadow it'd look ok for our purposes. We just need the little blighters to scatter satisfyingly as we swoop in to strafe. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

They're almost certainly not going to give us anything like this in SOW:BOB though, as its not really the focus of the game.

T.

LEBillfish
08-21-2006, 11:55 AM
Red Baron II, what a 9-10 year old sim would on occasion have you flying over no mans land. Looking down you'd suddenly see coming out of one of the trenches what at first was maybe 100, then soon maybe even 1,000 little dots swarming out......Soon after you might see the same thing happening from the opposite trench. The two huge armies of small dots also joined by larger dots meeting in the middle.

Fly low, and you would see each small dot a man, each large dot a tank or armored car.....

Ok, nice eye candy huh?...........Nope, you could shoot each individual man or tank....Not whole groups........Individuals with each individual showing blood and falling left laying there.

9-10 years ago or more.

Now, ever notice how when you fly certain missions they lag, yet others exactly the same don't with only minor plane changes...Like switching from JU88's to HE111's......I'd "guess" that is due to for whatever reason quite often not cosmetic, in fact often seeming opposite the other model is simply larger in size (as in Kb)......So, it simply means being careful with the models and the size they require.

I bet with a little effort we might be surprised. Then again, it's not up to me, yet should be able to be done and not kill FPS.

Haigotron
08-21-2006, 11:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LEBillfish:
Red Baron II, what a 9-10 year old sim would on occasion have you flying over no mans land. Looking down you'd suddenly see coming out of one of the trenches what at first was maybe 100, then soon maybe even 1,000 little dots swarming out......Soon after you might see the same thing happening from the opposite trench. The two huge armies of small dots also joined by larger dots meeting in the middle.

Fly low, and you would see each small dot a man, each large dot a tank or armored car.....

Ok, nice eye candy huh?...........Nope, you could shoot each individual man or tank....Not whole groups........Individuals with each individual showing blood and falling left laying there.

9-10 years ago or more.

Now, ever notice how when you fly certain missions they lag, yet others exactly the same don't with only minor plane changes...Like switching from JU88's to HE111's......I'd "guess" that is due to for whatever reason quite often not cosmetic, in fact often seeming opposite the other model is simply larger in size (as in Kb)......So, it simply means being careful with the models and the size they require.

I bet with a little effort we might be surprised. Then again, it's not up to me, yet should be able to be done and not kill FPS. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif thatll show the naysayers http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Haigotron
08-21-2006, 04:49 PM
well? where are the naysayers?

Chuck_Older
08-21-2006, 04:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LEBillfish:

9-10 years ago or more.

I bet with a little effort we might be surprised. Then again, it's not up to me, yet should be able to be done and not kill FPS. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're making me wish I was back in '97 playing RBII, not knowing how much better sims could be, but loving it all the same. I was the Scourge of Lille and the Angel of Arras, and every Hun shuddered when my Pup flew low, afraid the shadow alone might touch them

FritzGryphon
08-21-2006, 06:34 PM
Given how detailed and animated ground vehicles are in BoB (even doors open!), I would expect there to be at least some form of human units on the ground.

LEBillfish
08-21-2006, 10:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
You're making me wish I was back in '97 playing RBII, not knowing how much better sims could be, but loving it all the same. I was the Scourge of Lille and the Angel of Arras, and every Hun shuddered when my Pup flew low, afraid the shadow alone might touch them </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Still a killer sim.....Awesome aspects like the armies above, a campaign mode that NOTHING beats as it would alter the entire war...On and on. RB3D even better, and the stuff the community made promised land and Flanders in Flames included made every wierd plane a reality.

A benchmark flight sim to be sure.......I cannot even imagine coupling it with the IL2 type of series.....Would be stunning.

CAF96th_Sillyak
08-22-2006, 12:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Haigotron:
Have you ever played any of the Star Wars Rogue squadron games? where the infantry on the ground are sprites (back then, the res was pretty low, they looked more like marshmallow stick figures rather than storm troopers)...
but the point is, they had some small scale fights going on ground, which made it cool to strafe some...

why not have high resolution sprites to do the same?.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

heck i remember rouge squadron clearly, great game that one was.

zbw_109
08-22-2006, 05:49 AM
Fully detailed 4,000 polygon soldiers for BoB

frame rate 0.5 fpminutes

lowfighter
08-22-2006, 07:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by zbw_109:
Fully detailed 4,000 polygon soldiers for BoB

frame rate 0.5 fpminutes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, do you have in the current FB 0.5 frames per minute when you go low and strafe a truck column and see the little soldiers running for their life away from the trucks? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
I don't know how many polygons but to me the little soldiers we have now are looking good enough. One just have to make them independent, even if they would have very simple behaviour it would be fantastic. If you strafe you don't really see the details...

Haigotron
08-22-2006, 09:15 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I don't know how many polygons but to me the little soldiers we have now are looking good enough. One just have to make them independent, even if they would have very simple behaviour it would be fantastic. If you strafe you don't really see the details... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif