PDA

View Full Version : Pbook 17" 1.5Ghz: ATI 9700 Graphics stuttering

Vanilla8
10-17-2004, 02:18 AM
Hi
I have a Powerbook 17", with 1.5ghz G4, 1GB RAM, 4200rpm 80GB HD and the graphics card is an ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 with 64MB of DDR SDRAM.

When I play Myst I notice a noticeable "stickyness" or "stuttering" as motion video is playing. When I am simply looking around its fine, smoke, steam etc all move smoothly.

This stuttering happens when video starts,such as the initial opening scene as the carriage moves along the overhead track or for example when you click on the planets model in the first house, or when the guy speaks to you about the waterwheel.antennae etc. (I've only just started so forgive the early examples).

Also when I switch between interfaces, (going from close-up back to normal view etc.) there is a noticeable timelag as well.

Its not a show-stopper but IS pretty irritating. When I play a normal film DVD I do not get these problems. Also iTunes visualiser works very smoothly so my system seems to be up to displaying video fine, yet in Myst I get this stuttering.

Does anyone know of any special settings I need to make, or is this a known problem with an optimisation fix on the way, or am I screwed?

Vanilla8

Grehn
10-17-2004, 07:51 AM
Ya might be screwed. Ubi has posted that the "mobile" versions of ATI and nVidia cards are not supported. Some have lucked out and have had no problems. Others have not been so fortunate.

Vanilla8
10-17-2004, 08:04 AM
Rats. Is there any chance that UBI will issue a fix to support the mobility versions at some point do you think?

I can't believe this to be honest..I kinda figured that having the latest and greatest PowerBook issue was sufficient to not worry about this stuff...you live and learn I guess..to the tune of 34!
Vanilla

maztec
10-17-2004, 02:55 PM
Unlikely. The Omega drivers are known for fixing driver problems on laptops.

Maz