PDA

View Full Version : Prop pitch and radiator questions

Noxx0s
09-22-2010, 03:29 PM
1.Does prop pitch affect your turning radius or how sharp you can turn? I.E. if I break hard right to shoot a deflection shot at a plane and simultaneously set my prop pitch to 0% will I turn sharper?

2. What's the deal with prop pitch on 190s? Specifically A6s. What I mean is, I notice if I have the engine at 110% power and 100% prop pitch, it has about the same RPM as when I have it at auto prop pitch and 110% w/ WEP/boost or whatever it's called in the 190. My question is: Will both of these situations tax the engine equally? (i.e. lead to overheating eventually etc.)

3. Radiators.
1) Does having your radiator closed or open shield parts of your plane in any way from enemy fire? (heard someone say this in-game)
2) Again, with the 190... I've noticed I can run a LONG time at 110% w/boost with rads full open before overheating... is it just my imagination or do the rads on the 190, at least the antons, not slow you down hardly at all?

thanks

Noxx0s
09-22-2010, 03:29 PM
1.Does prop pitch affect your turning radius or how sharp you can turn? I.E. if I break hard right to shoot a deflection shot at a plane and simultaneously set my prop pitch to 0% will I turn sharper?

2. What's the deal with prop pitch on 190s? Specifically A6s. What I mean is, I notice if I have the engine at 110% power and 100% prop pitch, it has about the same RPM as when I have it at auto prop pitch and 110% w/ WEP/boost or whatever it's called in the 190. My question is: Will both of these situations tax the engine equally? (i.e. lead to overheating eventually etc.)

3. Radiators.
1) Does having your radiator closed or open shield parts of your plane in any way from enemy fire? (heard someone say this in-game)
2) Again, with the 190... I've noticed I can run a LONG time at 110% w/boost with rads full open before overheating... is it just my imagination or do the rads on the 190, at least the antons, not slow you down hardly at all?

thanks

Treetop64
09-22-2010, 10:08 PM
1. There are those here that swear by the "prop-torque turn technique", and others that argue that relying on adjusting your prop pitch to make a sharper turn in the middle of a fight is a pointless exercise, who's contribution yields less-than-marginal results. If you try it and you feel that it helps you, then by all means... Draw your own conclusion.

2. Much depends on how much, and how fast air is moving through the cylinder banks. Also, a lot depends on which map you're playing on. The Leningrad winter map is great for high engine power for long periods, but you'll want to be careful on the Crimea map...

Note, however, that max prop settings at max throttle doesn't necessarily mean you're going to attain max speed. Those settings help during takeoff, acceleration, and during a climb, similar to selecting a lower gear for higher engine RPMs in a car. However, using a lower prop RPM/max throttle setting will give you more speed when flying level and when in a dive, again much like you would shift up while gaining speed at full throttle in a car. Moreover, the latter setting at lower RPMs allows you to stay at full power for longer periods than you could at max RPMs, before damaging the engine.

The Kommandogerat on board the German fighters is designed to get the most out of the engine and propeller for a given attitude, altitude, speed, and throttle command. It's on by default - use it.

3. a) This might be splitting hairs within the game - I wouldn't worry about this too much. Just use your cowls to manage engine temps.

b) Naturally, for a given severity of operation, the more air that flows through the cylinders, the longer they stay cool. I don't fly the 190s enough to know about the speed penalty for opening the cowls. I will soon, though; the A4 is the next mount that will replace the 109-F4s flown in my current campaign!

Erkki_M
09-22-2010, 11:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Treetop64:
I don't fly the 190s enough to know about the speed penalty for opening the cowls. I will soon, though; the A4 is the next mount that will replace the 109-F4s flown in my current campaign! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Afaik, theres none. Only D-9 and (possibly, probably) Ta-152 do. Just keep them full open... This could be because irl the 190 pilot apparently had no control over cooling system, which also included no moving external parts...

AndyJWest
09-23-2010, 06:55 AM
This came up in a recent thread: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...283/m/4341041188/p/1 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/4341041188/p/1)

I ran a test:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I've just done a quick test with my autopilot. A Fw 190-A5 in level flight at 6000m is about 20Km/h TAS slower with the radiators fully open than fully closed. At 110% throttle it overheats rapidly with the radiator fully closed though, it would probably be more sensible to run it half-open. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And, yes, to be precise, a radial-engined Fw-190 doesn't have a radiator - it does have an oil cooler, and all but the very early ones (I think) had moveable cowl flaps