PDA

View Full Version : New X52 vs X45 Stick quality

OldMan____
12-11-2004, 10:54 AM
Does anyone here have used the X52? I Have a Evo for some time and recently got a X45 and got VERY disapointed with the X45.. very bad joystick (although a very good left quadrant). It is stiff and the joystick get stucked at about 60% of motion so you have to increase the strenght into the input to pass on this stiffness.. so that you do not have a SMOOTH range like in the EVO.

I noticed the plastic circle around the bar is much worse fitted in the X45 than in EVO. So here is my question.. is the X52 in X45 quality level or in the very good Evo quality level?

Important to my decision on buying it.

Doc_Hollydayz
12-11-2004, 11:03 AM
If you are having problems with a stiff stick (Oooer!) try lubricating the plastic circle and shaft with a piece of candle wax. Just rub it round the ring base and it should free up the stickyness. I have done this and it works suprisingly well, despite sounding quite rude! Dont I repeat DONT use oil or grease, it just makes it worse and will rot the plastic. Hope this helps http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Tully__
12-11-2004, 11:16 AM
While I've not used a '52 myself, reports suggest its action is more like the Evo.

OldMan____
12-11-2004, 11:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doc_Hollydayz:
If you are having problems with a stiff stick (Oooer!) try lubricating the plastic circle and shaft with a piece of candle wax. Just rub it round the ring base and it should free up the stickyness. I have done this and it works suprisingly well, despite sounding quite rude! Dont I repeat DONT use oil or grease, it just makes it worse and will rot the plastic. Hope this helps http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've tried with carbon grafit froma pencil 6B. But it is not enough.. it diminishes the attrition but the result is still much worse than the Evo. But if the X52 have the same better construction as the Evo I may buy it.

F0_Dark_P
12-11-2004, 11:58 AM
as Doc_Hollydayz says try candle vax, or you can use teflon spray, teflon spray is a lubricate that reduce friction, it is not sticky or smeary it couse it drys on the plastic, so you should not be afraid that it harms the stick, and to the difference between them i dont know, i have no clue if the x52 is in poorer quality then the x42, i dident like the x45 at all i use the logitech freedom 2.4 and it is just great with trigger and parts in steel http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif

Snoop_Baron
12-11-2004, 11:59 AM
You could use both the X45 and the Evo at the same time since IL2 supports this.

So place your X45 stick on the other side of your X45 throttle and use it as a button bay (for things like lights, wing folding, chocks, whatever) and then put your Evo where you X45 stick would have normaly been and know you have the X45 throttle paired with the Evo stick, the best of both worlds.

s!
Snoop

Snoop_Baron
12-11-2004, 12:00 PM
Just wanted to add that you'll have to go to the HOTAS section in your IL2 controls setup to make sure it uses the Evo for elevators, ailerons, and rudder and the X45 throttle for power.

1.JaVA_Hornet
12-11-2004, 12:11 PM
Hey guys,

I have another solution for you stiffness.
Pls take a look at this link, for me it
works.

http://members.chello.at/dolphin6/mod_spring/

OldMan____
12-11-2004, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the input.. I am using evo together.. but I wanted to be able to sell the evo to recover some money. Just imagine I paid 200 dolars for the X45 due to transportation..

OldMan____
12-11-2004, 03:02 PM
Ok guys, the wax helped a lot. Not bad now.

Now I need to avaluate things.. I think I am still far better with evo, think specially due to twist stick

fherathras
12-11-2004, 04:01 PM
awegz

GAU-8
12-11-2004, 11:57 PM
its a new product. it will break in/or just break. give it time.

scares me how many of you think the X45 is tuff to move around. even when new...i dont recomend ever getting the cougar for you guys later onhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

knightflyte
12-12-2004, 12:19 AM
LOL GAU,

It's not that its hard because we aren't strong enough. It's because the stick itself is "STICKY" and won't move smoothly throughout its range of movement.

The hangups experienced cause unwanted movement during firing or unintended variation on flight path.

Tho,(now that you mention strength) on occasion my shoulder hurts after a long flight. I have to ice my shoulder and elbow like a Pro Baseball Pitcher.

Seriously, I like my X45. I did the wax AND plastic ties thing, and that helped alot with the unintentional movement.

AND I experimented with the throw values in the IL2 stick configurator. I got it now where I have GREAT control of the aircraft AND can shoot with while maintaining a true aim.

(Even with an X45, I'm tempted to get an X52. I like toys)

regards,
Robert

Once you go TRACK.... you never go back

Heavy_Weather
12-12-2004, 10:45 AM
yep, the wax definately helps http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Chivas
12-12-2004, 10:59 AM
Saitek X52 springs are too week but its movement is smooth. I never tried the X45. The Cougar was definitly to stiff and clunky. The MSFB was a great stick that you could control the spring stiffness. But I've got a pile of broken MSFB sticks in my closet.

I like the X52 even though mine has a few clitches. Don't buy one from Saitek On-Line store. I've found it very difficult to get a reply to my emails. Buy one from a local store so it can easily be returned or replaced.

BlitzPig_DDT
12-12-2004, 11:15 AM
When I messed around with the X45 in the store it felt really "limp" to me, not to mention like a toy. There was no play in it so it wasn't from abuse. Guess it comes from being used to a Cougar. lol http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

OldMan____
12-12-2004, 11:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chivas:
Saitek X52 springs are too week but its movement is smooth. I never tried the X45. The Cougar was definitly to stiff and clunky. The MSFB was a great stick that you could control the spring stiffness. But I've got a pile of broken MSFB sticks in my closet.

I like the X52 even though mine has a few clitches. Don't buy one from Saitek On-Line store. I've found it very difficult to get a reply to my emails. Buy one from a local store so it can easily be returned or replaced. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

well here at south hemisphere is rather difficult to have such comforts such as choosing where to buy.

James_Kettle
12-12-2004, 07:59 PM
I have owned the cougar,which in order to be effective,requires a lot of tweaking,and modification.owned the msfb 2,good stick,most of the logitechs,couple of saiteks not up to snuff.Now I have the Saitek X52,which in my opinion is an exellent stick,worked right out of the box,install went without a hitch.The saitek programming software is quite easy to use,and u surely wouldn't need it in a prop sim,as there are more than enuff buttons,hats and rotarys to make all of your prop sim assignments,and they work! too,first time all! the time.The spring in the stick is not as stiff as many other sticks,but it centers quite nicely,The action is very smooth.If u don't like the action of the stick,u can go into control panel/game controlleres/properties,and make adjustments.The throttle is very responsive,and on the left is a knob to make adjustments to the throttle tension.A person who wants to program his stick such as,gear up followed 3 sec later by flaps up,it can be done easily,whats great is that u dont have to sit down for hrs learning the programming.I could go on,but wont.Long story short,Great! stick. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

BlitzPig_DDT
12-12-2004, 08:12 PM
Always gotta be a hater. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

One doesn't buy a sports car with the intent to never do any tweaking or customization. That's what econo-boxes are for. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

BuzzU
12-12-2004, 08:26 PM
CH works right out of the box.

Maico_249th
12-13-2004, 01:35 AM
The last day of the week and a phone call alerts me to a new package. Was I ever surprised. The new X52 was preordered for over a month and is finnally here.
That night I spent a few agonizing minutes trying to get through the box. This thing is really well packaged. Like the X45 a bunch of styrofoam ensured even my APO rough guys did not break it. You may think this is silly but to a guy like me (8000 miles away from the western world) this is a BIG plus.
Out comes the shiny beautifull new design. It is a real joy to look at and hold. Yes that is real aluminum. Yes, it does feel solid. No, I would not let a 5 year old play with it. While feeling quite solid, it is no Cougar. The feel of quality is about on par with the X45 if not a bit better. Darn well worth the 129 US dollars I paid. The next few days passed and I worried how much change I would have to do going from the old stick to the new one. Finnally I decided to go for broke. New software had to be installed in order to bring the X52 online. I actually used the software and programmed a bunch of new commands. Disregarding the conservative programing I had done before I pushed ahead with lots of programing on all three modes. This thing is unbeleivable! I got more commands than I can remember. I write them on Excell then post them on my monitor. Within days, I dont need my cheat sheet anymore.
So enough about this nonsence. HOW does it perform? First off let me say that the rough tension of the X45 is gone. This stick has a much nicer feel. Inspite of the fact that it looks the same as its predecesor where the stick joins the base. It does not feel the same by a long shot. This one is much smoother. Gone is the awkared Rudder also. A much more conventional twist grip has been added. I tried flying with it for about two hours and it was great. Then I put everything back on the left. The stick is again a buttons bay as my X45 was. I use the throttle mainly. On my right I still use the Microsoft FF2. Why? Force feedback is great. But the big throttle and added buttons of the X52 make my "cockpit" complete. The Throttle of the X52 is awesome. After a few days my hands began to get used to it. There is a few more buttons and a slider next to my thumb. The two wheels are better than the ones on the X45. The friction adjustment has been moved to the side so you can actually adjust them after you Double Side Tape it to your desk... Am I the only one who does this? The ultimate addon is this "Clutch" button. It disengages the device while you hold it down, then you can press any button and the display tells you what you have programed in there without actually performing the action. This is especially important when you have many commands spread over three modes. You no longer have to press and hope your bomb drops instead of your landing gear opening. However you must name your commands as you enter them to see this. For some reason the four way hat on the throttle does not display this feature. But it works great with all the other buttons. Another small niggle is the fact that I cannot get the mini mouse joystick to work as a four way hat. This effectively eliminates four commands. I am sure I will figure this one out. At any rate this one has enough buttons to eliminate "Dial a Kill". This was the USB Number pad I had attached to my X45.
So how do I rate it? In sheer pleasure to look at I give it a 10. Performance gets an 10. I love the new feel of the joystick and my throttle does a lot more than my X45's did. However value I would give it a 8. In this day an age the fact that Saitek did not incorporate Force Feedback into thier flagship stick is a shame. Perhaps its a whine on my part but for nearly 85 dollars the Microsoft FF2 has the feel of real flight(as real as I will ever know anyways). Track IR frees enogh buttons to make this stick the last one I will need for a long time. After 3 years I will retire my X45.

Maico

OldMan____
12-13-2004, 03:35 AM
Unfortunately take a x52 now would take too much time and too much money.. so I will stay with the x45 and reaply wax every 3 days :P It is not as smooth as EVO, but is playable.

Maico_249th
12-13-2004, 04:49 AM
Yeah, this is an old post I had made. I thought it would help you since you asked. The truth is you should stay with the X45(actually use both). Have a blast!

Vipez-
12-13-2004, 07:25 AM
yep CH is the king.. CH also lasts longer, personnally I own CH f-16 combat stick + pro throttle (old gameport versions..) bought them some time in christmas 93, and they are still working fully functionally (yep that these are over 11 years old http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif )