PDA

View Full Version : What did you like about AC1 that wasn't in AC2

II RedDwarf II
01-25-2010, 01:12 AM
Firstly, I apologize if this has already been covered. I know there is a search function but I am in a hurry today as I have 3 minutes to write this from work before I start http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

So, what did you like about AC1 that wasn't in AC2.

I liked the Kingdom area. I know this was a bit boring for some people but I really liked the scenery and was disappointed that something like this wasn't in AC2. Mountain region doesn't count http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

There seemed to be more unarmed fighting in the first. I have gone back and am currently playing through it again and loved the grab move. Think this is still in AC2 but I didn't ever get the chance to use it if it was.

I liked the blend mode as well sneaking up, knifing then walking away without alerting people. Made the game a little too easy in places though.

I also preferred the alert system. I had a better idea of peoples awareness to me.

The pick pocketing seemed to have more diversity to it along with the missions. Now its just a bump into someone and you get the money.

That said, I thought the second game was a vast improvement over the first and am looking forward to seeing AC2.5 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

II RedDwarf II
01-25-2010, 01:12 AM
Firstly, I apologize if this has already been covered. I know there is a search function but I am in a hurry today as I have 3 minutes to write this from work before I start http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I liked the Kingdom area. I know this was a bit boring for some people but I really liked the scenery and was disappointed that something like this wasn't in AC2. Mountain region doesn't count http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

There seemed to be more unarmed fighting in the first. I have gone back and am currently playing through it again and loved the grab move. Think this is still in AC2 but I didn't ever get the chance to use it if it was.

I liked the blend mode as well sneaking up, knifing then walking away without alerting people. Made the game a little too easy in places though.

I also preferred the alert system. I had a better idea of peoples awareness to me.

The pick pocketing seemed to have more diversity to it along with the missions. Now its just a bump into someone and you get the money.

That said, I thought the second game was a vast improvement over the first and am looking forward to seeing AC2.5 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Rompipalle1488
01-25-2010, 01:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedDwarf137:

That said, I thought the second game was a vast improvement over the first and am looking forward to seeing AC2.5 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
NOT BEING ABLE TO PLAY STORY MISSIONS!!!!!1111!!!!
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Abeonis
01-25-2010, 03:10 AM
I must say, I did prefer the hidden blade animations from AC1, seemed much more brutal to me. Granted, you see them in AC2 with Ezio at the beginning and during th Hideout escape, but still.

younas456
01-25-2010, 04:26 AM
i liked the templars because they were a litle bi harder to kill and funny to sneak up to :P

cgdemon894
01-25-2010, 04:29 AM
the atmosphere of AC1. the fog and sparkles of dirt, the animus glitches, life-like textures of the humans and buildings, and the thought of how to approach an assassination target

bladencrowd
01-25-2010, 04:36 AM
Ac1 seemed more cold, raw and brutal. The kills were harder and more satisfying. Ac2 takes all this, lightens it up and makes killing pathetically easy.

TreFacTor
01-25-2010, 06:07 AM
I liked killing the Templars the ones in AC1 were harder to defeat if you suddenly ran across one (otherwise a piece of cake if you can sneak up on em). Being able to replay missions or story points biggest missing feature!

mantledarcanum
01-25-2010, 09:34 AM
I liked how the guards would all fight at once instead of standing back and watching.. and how knocking them down didn't mean instant kill.

BK-110
01-25-2010, 10:21 AM
Yeah, I liked Kingdom as well. This wide open area to explore, where you'd always have to watch out for Templars.

And then the original low profile hidden blade kill. I admit, the new one is a lot more realistic but I just liked the exaggerated "SHING" sound from the hidden blade. Also, when you counter kill in the first game, the camera would always move to those movie-like perspectives, whereas in Assassin's Creed II, it only does it once in a while...

Lazybeans
01-25-2010, 11:33 AM
1. lion.cesar, your avatar is HUGE. o_x

2. I liked the variety of soldiers that you had to fight. It made for a good challenge when you had to go against those brutes with spears.

nitres15
01-25-2010, 11:53 AM
templars ( u know the one that is hard to kill)

and altair

PlagueDoctor357
01-25-2010, 01:47 PM
Sounds to me here like we all secretly just prefered the monkish setting.

I know Ezio doesn't stand up compared to Altair for me, but he was still cool.

Not to mention you actually felt like you were getting somewhere instead of just towards the end of the game.

Biggest annoyance though? Not being able to bust out my hidden blade and sprint towards the camera while the game is loading.

I mean, why did you guys not let us swing our swords and what not like in AC1 when we load?

God, that drives me crazy lmao.

mojsarn
01-25-2010, 01:55 PM
Yeah, I like the feeling of the first game alot more, hard to explain but just something like the glyphs you see when you are sleeping, gives a kind of creepy feeling to it.

And the lightning, i loved it in AC1, the shadows and all, but it seems gone in AC2.

ljd184
01-25-2010, 05:09 PM
the ******s that push you over for no reason
they where annoying but incredibly funny.
but i really miss not having assassin's city a real assassin's city with people going about in assassin's clothes

the amolang
01-25-2010, 07:18 PM
I miss the:

-setting (in a way) as I've always been a history fanatic of that time period, and it felt more assassin-ish if that makes sense, but I still LOVE the renaissance

- your assassin buds. it just felt cool having a city full of assassins.

- the amount of Desmond scenes, in AC2 there weren't enough, AC 1 had maybe a bit too much, as I enjoyed the parts in AC2 with Desmond but they were so short and far in between...

II RedDwarf II
01-26-2010, 03:00 AM
Was grab and throw in AC2? I never really used unarmed so I have no idea.

I thought the areas in 1 were a little more clostraphobic but I liked that hemmed in feeling. I think they made AC2 city, for me at least, feel alive. In 1 there were allot of characters but they felt as though the crowds were included for the sake of it. They just walked up and down with a few sweepers here and there. AC2 had people going about there work, not just walking from a to b.

I hope, at some point in the future, they will revisit altair's story. What happened after AC1 to him and how the codex, etc were created. It gives you bits in AC2, but I would love to play it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

spyrochick101
01-26-2010, 07:11 AM
Hi guys new to the forums here. I also miss being able to replay missions. (Now I have to replay AC2 just to try and get the trophy for kicking a guard while using the flying machine).
- Replaying Missions
- Exploring the Kingdom
- And yes Desmond needed to be seen more in AC2 imo.
Thanks!

thebutcherhead
01-26-2010, 08:04 AM
Awh, dude EVERYTHINGTHING man, AC was my game! The second one's an improvement, but for me I don't think it compares to AC, it instantly became my favorite game of all time.

The best part of it for me was how authentic the video game environment was. I remember the first time I saw Altair climb a wall- I was paralyzed. The game was like nothing I'd ever played before and at the time I remember thinking such a videogame wasn't even possible. I mean, I was waiting for a game that had that level of fluidity in movement since I first played videogames. Back then, most games were either a shooter or open-world rpg, but even with games like oblivion none of them had the kind of natural feel in the environment that AC games had. You had several free-roam games, but the movement and combat animations always seemed standard and uninspiring. AC was the first next gen game I felt to really break that barrier for 360 PS3 games.

Now, a lot of this was carried on to AC 2, and while AC 2 had better environments, I didn't like the overall look as much since everything seemed to have this glossy sheen to it which made the game less photorealistic to me and more like graphics in other videogames. The game was fun, but for me, AC 2 didn't feel as realistic in terms of graphics or physics as the first game.

AC 2 you encounter a lot of awkward glitches at times, a problem which I found less frequently in the first game.

With assassinations, I found the diversity to which you could pull them off a lot more fun than in AC 1, but the ability to assassinate targets was made much easier in AC 2. Part of what made it feel rewarding to me was having a little challange in performing that aerial assasssination just perfectly.

In AC, the combat seemed a lot more brutal to me too. While Ezio definately has the more brutal moves, but the angles from which you saw Altair perform the original counter kills made the fights seem almost cold in nature. AC 2, the camer zoomed in really close to Ezio at times, which to me seemed awkward and inconsistent with the kind of aesthetic appeal I had become familiar with from the first game.

More to the point, the reason this bothered me was because I had gotten so good at the combat in the first game, I knew how to time and use certain combinations of attacks almost perfectly, it felt like I was in a movie and not a video game anymore.

In AC 2 I got the same feeling, but not in the combat, even though Ezio has more, and some of the better moves, like being able to disarm and through a spear into a seekers face or nonchalantly pushing a brute over after dropping an axe to the shoulder just seconds before.

So I miss a LOT from the first game. Even the art style, which some thought was bland, I thought it was better and gave the game a more historic feel. AC 1 seemed more compelling, like every assassination unvieled part of the great mystery behind the creed, and AC 2 was more like, okay I'm just killing the bad guys again. While you get to see Ezio develop as a character, I don't think the story was anything groundbreaking or different from what we've come to expect in video games. Revenge sotries are a tiredly repeated incentive in video games, AC 2 difnately had one of the better ones, but I was surprised when I heard they decided to go along with it like pretty much any other gamer out there.

Maybe the only reaon AC 1 was unique was that it played off of Dan Brown conspiracy mongering that was present at the time. AC 2 was more like the mystery of his family, rather than the mystery of the enemies, scavanging old treasure troves from my ancestor didn't seem as driving as uncovering the mystery behind the creed that was in AC 1.

mojsarn
01-27-2010, 06:41 AM
Another thing I miss is the planning, in ACII they just throwed the plan in your face and you would have to stick to it to a certain degree, but in the first you had more freedom in the assassinations to do as you pleased.

FiskMunk
01-27-2010, 08:55 AM
The DRM.

MartaVasques
01-27-2010, 09:15 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by thebutcherhead:
Awh, dude EVERYTHINGTHING man, AC was my game! The second one's an improvement, but for me I don't think it compares to AC, it instantly became my favorite game of all time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely.

I was so hyped for AC2 that it turned into a disappointment.

As Bladencrowd said, AC 1 was brutal. The way you had to prepare you assassinations does not compare to the easiness in which you kill people in AC2.

The environment was so involving you forgot the real world. But you never forgot that you were dealing with true historical events. In AC2, it seems you are playing through a fantasy story and History - although the elements are all there - doesn’t seem to count as much.

And, of course, I miss Altair. I said this before AC2 came out: I was afraid of this Ezio boy that was not born into the Creed. Unfortunately, he proved my theory right and doesn’t even come near Altair’s profile as an Assassin…

itsamea-mario
01-27-2010, 09:19 AM
Well the story, i mean ac2 has an amazing story with revenge and learning to becpme an assassin and all that, but it just became predictable. ***SPOILERS*** from this point on.

there wasnt much surprise in ac2, as the guy who we thought was the main badguy, was the main badguy, the only surprise was the minerva scene, which i thought was a bit silly, good though.
whereas ac2 was more subtle, and the guy we think to be our main enemy isnt, (even though from a certain point it does become obvious that there is something not quite right) and when altair is first introduced to the apple, i think that scene is much better than the minerva one.

TheEpicWolf
01-27-2010, 09:40 AM
I miss Altair, i know Ezio has more moves but in my opinion Altair should have been able to do all those things aswell considering how much of a bad*** he was and i did prefer the grittier look of AC but AC2 is an awesome game none the less http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

And Ezio is pretty bad***

FiskMunk
01-27-2010, 11:11 AM
I want AC 3 to let us play Altaïr when he's older - Just imagine how awesome he must've been a 20 years after the events of AC I!

On Topic, the lighting. I've seen videos of the sequel, and the lighting isn't nearly as beautiful and awesome.
And lighting plays a big part in immersion. AC II has awesome environments, imagine how it would look like with AC I's lighting (+ other graphical aspects)

nightcobra
01-27-2010, 11:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FiskMunk:
I want AC 3 to let us play Altaïr when he's older - Just imagine how awesome he must've been a 20 years after the events of AC I!

On Topic, the lighting. I've seen videos of the sequel, and the lighting isn't nearly as beautiful and awesome.
And lighting plays a big part in immersion. AC II has awesome environments, imagine how it would look like with AC I's lighting (+ other graphical aspects) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

altair in the codex stated he couldn't do these kind of things anymore, although i'd think it would be great if in ac3 there was a flashback without the animus putting you in the shoes of altair's son at the moment just after the codex finishes and altair is about to look into the poe once again.

FiskMunk
01-27-2010, 11:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shadow8928:
altair in the codex stated he couldn't do these kind of things anymore </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really? Damn the PC delay, I guess I'll have to read through the codex pages once I've gotten the game.

Unless Ubisoft still insists on keeping their constant-online-DRM.

KZarr
01-27-2010, 02:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MartaVasques:
And, of course, I miss Altair. I said this before AC2 came out: I was afraid of this Ezio boy that was not born into the Creed. Unfortunately, he proved my theory right and doesn’t even come near Altair’s profile as an Assassin… </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alas, this is also the thing I miss the most. Ezio just doesnt come near the awesomeness of Altair. *sigh*

stc038
01-28-2010, 12:44 AM
I thought ac1 had a much more dark and brutal story and there were assassinations where you actually felt fear like the templar that ran the hospital in Acre, he orders the guys to break the patients legs, stuff like that gave me the chills,or in the merchant king assassination he poisions and arrows his guest while locking them in, ETC. ac2 didnt give me that feeling and if it did it wasnt as intense. dont get me wrong though ac2 was a 10 out of 10 in my book but i just like the dark, brutal and kinda scary setting and events in AC1

II RedDwarf II
01-28-2010, 01:10 AM
You also had to earn your achievements (for the people who like them)

They were given to you on a plate with AC2. The hardest being one of the combat ones, I guess, but this only took a few tries. In AC1 they were so much more diverse. Yeah, getting the flags was a little monotonous but you felt you had earned them.

I know what you mean about the grittiness of AC1. I am playing through it again and really enjoying it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif The kills seem to be more brutal and the world seems somehow bigger and more epic.

Both great games, I just hope they can get the balance right in AC2.5 MP http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

guipit
01-28-2010, 07:39 AM
I HATE THE HEALTH BARS combat was better in the first game

I think Ubi went the wrong direction with combat with the health bars. It should've been about timing instead remember trying to counter that slow kind of swing the guards did in AC1 that was hard.

also I hate not being able to turn off spider web floor and gray Ezio

Invalid_argh
02-05-2010, 10:45 PM
I liked how in AC1 you could kill all of the guards and soldiers with just one throwing knife. In AC2, you need to throw two at some of the guards to kill them, and obviously they spot you after you throw the first one.

Maybe it's less realistic, but i enjoyed jumping around on rooftops, throwing knives in all directions and not being caught.

thebutcherhead
02-06-2010, 12:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by guipit:
I HATE THE HEALTH BARS combat was better in the first game

I think Ubi went the wrong direction with combat with the health bars. It should've been about timing instead remember trying to counter that slow kind of swing the guards did in AC1 that was hard.

also I hate not being able to turn off spider web floor and gray Ezio </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah I was an avid fan of the first game too, so the new design elements for the new game mechanics took a little getting used too for me also. Eventually I got used to them, but it was like I had to forget everything I was used to from AC 1 so I could enjoy AC 2.

I still felt the game was in the AC universe, but gameplay wise I had to do things differently like walking, fighting style, and getting around the city. All of those I had to change a little bit before I could enjoy Ezio as much as a character as I did Altair.

In AC 1 I went crazy with very specific strategies for weapons and moves in fighting, when to use shortblade, or the hidden blade to finish someone off, even the length of time I spent on the rooftops, I made sure I balanced that out with varying time in the streets just to get the most out of Altair visually.

In AC 2 I had develop entire new ways to do it which took a little longer than when I played AC 1. It was like I had to re-adapt to make space for the new character.

And Ezio is a great character. I just had to start from scratch though before I could enjoy him as much.

SirGalaaz
02-06-2010, 03:10 PM
I guess i liked the historical environment. I just love the crusades history: the holy cities, the monastical orders, the historical assassins... I would like to see all these improvements of ac2 in an ac1 setting too.

Wonderglue
02-06-2010, 04:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FiskMunk:
The DRM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

QTF

shimpaku
02-06-2010, 05:57 PM
Just a quick off-sided comment here.
I happened to play AS2 first and thought it great albeit NO game is perfect but AS2 was very close.

I then decided to play the first one and just recently started it. I have NO idea who they got to do the voice over for Altair but the guy is really, really BAD! There is absolutely no inflection or character in his voice whatsoever. I wouldn't hire the guy who did the voice over for Altair to do a cheap car commercial! The surprising thing is that all of the other characters at least sounded like actors! Altair seems to have the personality if a dead earthworm! You would think that the developers would have paid more attention and be more discerning in who they hired to do his voice.

mojsarn
02-07-2010, 11:54 AM
Well he is after all a cold-blooded assassin http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

PlagueDoctor357
02-07-2010, 12:11 PM
I liked his voice, even if he had no accent.

shimpaku
02-07-2010, 01:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mojsarn:
Well he is after all a cold-blooded assassin http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, so is Ezio! At least he had some character to his voice and didn't sound like he was completely bored with the whole thing! As for accents, that is also laughable in some ways with the 1st AC. Some of the women that you save, aside from all of them saying the same thing, came very close to having a cockney accent! lol

KZarr
02-07-2010, 02:25 PM
Ye what u talking about. I love Alty's vioce.

bladencrowd
02-07-2010, 03:49 PM
The uniqueness of Altair voice made me feel closer to character. Ezios just becomes bland http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif .

shimpaku
02-07-2010, 06:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bladencrowd:
The uniqueness of Altair voice made me feel closer to character. Ezios just becomes bland http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uniqueness! It was about as unique and interesting as an egg timer! But.....to each his own.

SneakyStabz
02-08-2010, 05:34 PM
Two Words... MISSION REPLAY

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

TheDarkKnigg1
02-09-2010, 05:01 PM
I missed the seriousness that AC 1 had. AC 2 just seems like a casual free roaming world, like i don't feel scared or anything. I liked how the crowd in Ac1 had those people who shouted things because they related to the storyline. In AC 1 i felt like it was my duty to save the holy-land but in AC 2 nothing really seemed bad because everyone was happy. So i felt like Ezio was just doing pointless things.

But! AC 2 was a really great experience and improved upon a lot, i just think the tone of the game was a lot more laid back.

Bampire
02-09-2010, 05:11 PM
1. Not enough viewpoints. But AC1 never really covered how many are in the whole game, and AC2 did. But doing so it didn't have enough for my own personal liking.

2. Knowing the armor and guard classes, the knives became useless to me in the second game. I used them a whole lot in the first game because they're the best weapon in it. Taking out guards so easily, as their armor was as thin as paper. Then going into AC2, it takes 2-5 daggers to kill them, when you can just use the Hidden Gun to take them out from afar.

3. I agree with ljd184. The Drunken-madmen were annoying yet highly amusing in the first game. Not having that in the second game made it seem like it was missing something and that's what it was missing.

But all in all, honestly I enjoyed every single bit of AC2. I love the first game and always will. Because it is the first of the franchise--let alone Altair and Malik are ~&lt;3

SWJS
02-09-2010, 08:36 PM
I actually missed saving citizens.

CEO_of_Abstergo
02-10-2010, 03:11 PM
I missed the generous amount of time in present-tense as Desmond that AC1 had by comparison. AC2 has vast majority of time spent in Animus 2.0 as Ezio, and I enjoyed AC1's constant toggle between past and present POVs, plots, and clues and how they all relate in time.

You really did not get to investigate anything like emails, Abstergo info, or reveals of Desmond's present day in AC2. All we got this time was a superficial Q&A with the assassins and useless tidbits on Shaun's corkboards - even the glyph puzzles were in Ezioland. I want more Desmond - present day is the purpose of all that is going on in the Animus-provided past.

Azugo
02-10-2010, 03:44 PM
I have to say, Assassin's Creed I was more exciting for me.

I miss Altair, although I like Ezio more.

I miss being able to replay story missions (maybe in a future update or DLC, though).

In Assassin's Creed I, I felt like I was actually doing something of a great importance, but in Assassin's Creed II, the majority of the time, we were helping the Thieves or the Mercenaries.

None of this is to say that AC1 is a better game than AC2. I think AC2 was definitely a massive improvement.

When AC1 came out, it became (for me) the greatest game of all time, but now (again, for me) AC2 is the greatest GREATEST game of all time. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif