PDA

View Full Version : Any way to localize flak guns?

drose01
05-07-2005, 12:38 AM
Has anyone figured out a good way to find the flak guns that throw those black powder clouds at you when you are up high?

I never see a muzzle flash or smoke- but I sure would like to dive down and strafe them if I could find them!

drose01
05-07-2005, 12:38 AM
Has anyone figured out a good way to find the flak guns that throw those black powder clouds at you when you are up high?

I never see a muzzle flash or smoke- but I sure would like to dive down and strafe them if I could find them!

StellarRat
05-07-2005, 12:43 AM
They are hard to find. You have to close down pretty low and look for muzzle flashes. Unfortunately, since they have great range you will have to search a lot of ground to find them. It is possible though.

Amnio
05-07-2005, 05:39 AM
The best is to deal with the 20mm guns first (the ones with tracers), then if your plane is still in one piece and you still got ammo to spare you may consider the 88's. Fly low and zoom in on any suspicous object (with the del key). Seen directly from above they show up as a crosslike shape. Do keep your speed high and don't fly straight or it'll probably get you while you're searching. Also, as StellarRat pointed out, if you happen to be looking in the right direction once it fires you might pick up the small muzzleflash. You could also try to figure out what area it is able to fire at you and in that way get a general idea on where it may be located.

The mapdesigners are often fond of placing them close to something, like an airfield, a town, a forest or a road. So might want to look there first.